Uriah Heep
The Magician's Birthday

by Daniel Dias CONTRIBUTOR (37 Reviews)
July 21st, 2015 | 14 replies

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another excellent addition to Uriah Heep's collection. Magician's Birthday, while not as strong as its predecessor, still offers plenty of highlights and is an excellent release on its own.

For Uriah Heep, 1972's Demons And Wizards was a massive statement. After multiple lineup changes and an uncertainty about the future after a departure of bassist and founding member Paul Newton, as well as drummer Ian Clarke, Uriah Heep stuck together, recruited Gary Thain and Lee Kerslake (then completing the "classic" lineup), and managed to write Uriah's definitive album. Demons And Wizards was a result of the band's constant development in terms of songwriting and musicianship found in previous albums, ultimately becoming one of the band's most diverse and inspired releases ever. An amazing increase in album sales and a newfound critical acclaim proved that, now more than ever, Uriah Heep was a band to pay attention to.

The tough task now was to follow it up. The chemistry quickly found between the newly established lineup, definitely Heep's most effective, may have facilitated the songwriting process, as D&W's successor Magician's Birthday was released merely 6 months after. All in all, Magician's Birthday follows the footsteps of its predecessor, only slightly more heavy and, occasionally, slightly more experimental, especially in the title track. Despite the relatively small gap between the two albums, it doesn't feel rushed at all. Though probably not as cohesive as it could be, it still offers plenty of highlights, earning its place among Heep's finest albums, remaining an excellent listen for any fan.

Starting off on a high note, Sunrise kicks off the album excellently. An emotional ballad alternating between quiet verses, highlighted by Ken Hensley's melodic organ playing and Byron's powerful vocal delivery, and a raging chorus powered by Mick Box's energetic guitar playing, Sunrise is a highlight in Heep's catalog and one of the band's finest progressive rock ballads. From there on, the album goes back and forth between agressive, and somewhat dark at times, hard rock tunes and soulful acoustic ballads, both of which showcasing some of the band's best abilities. Save for the ocassional filler, the main offender here being Tales, there are a couple of standout tracks to be found.

Spider Woman and Sweet Lorraine are examples of short and catchy rockers, executed perfectly by the band. The piano-driven ballad Rain proves to be a pleasant surprise as well. But the album's most admirable moment is probably the closer, title track. At 10 minutes long, it is definitely the most progressive and experimental moment of the album. Not all passages of the song are memorable, as it all feels a bit glued together sometimes, but a very strong riff, a catchy chorus and a spectacular solo, a true faceoff between Mick Box's roaring guitar and Lee Kerslake's loud drums, make the title track an admirable creative moment of the band and an interesting closer.

Overall, Magician's Birthday is truly a rewarding listen for fans of the band and the genre. Riding on the momentum of the classic masterpiece Demons And Wizards, Magician is in comparison not as strong and consistent sometimes, but it's an excellent release on its own, and certainly a highlight in the band's career, one of its best albums.

Death From Above Outrage! Is NowQueens of the Stone Age Villains
Chris Cornell Higher TruthAlfa Mist Antiphon
Moon Hooch The Joshua TreeRoyal Blood How Did We Get So Dark?
Stratman471 (4)
This is my first review, so any feedback, negative or positive, is greatly appreciated....

July 21st 2015

Another edit of my old Heep reviews. Only one more to go and I'm done.

BigHans
July 21st 2015

Nice one, title track goes hard

Cool re-write dude!

The final minute on the t/t is fucking epic

July 21st 2015

Thanks Hans and Lord, appreciate it.

Jethro42
July 21st 2015

I have to revisit that band, starting with this one, to see if my rating is legit.

July 22nd 2015

Blind Eye, Tales and the middle section of the t/t are the only really weak moments in the album so yeah, I think it deserves at least a 4, jethro

July 22nd 2015

Any album from the classic lineup would be a nice starting point. Namely salisbury and demons.

manosg
July 23rd 2015

Great write up Daniel, pos.

I agree with your assessment of Sunrise, it's also one of my favorite UH ballads. Also, if I remember correctly, Spider Woman was the first song I really enjoyed by these guys even though know I'm not too fond of it.

July 23rd 2015

Thanks man. Spider Woman is pretty cool in my opinion, very 70's psych hippie stuff but cool anyways.

e210013
July 30th 2015

Great album from a great band.

However this is a band I need to konw better.

July 30th 2015

Check Demons & Wizards and Salisbury, both are the best albums by Heep and they both show their proggier and their more rock side

July 31st 2015

[2]

manosg
July 31st 2015

[3] + Look at Yourself + Very 'eavy... Very 'umble

beeroine87
July 1st 2017

I can't help but wonder why I like this album more than the rest of their classics, when it's clear as day that it's inferior composition wise...