Von
Satanic Blood Angel

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (58 Reviews)
July 18th, 2015 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hell put to tape. It sounds as awful as you'd expect.

Satanic Blood Angel is a compilation of the band’s Satanic Blood demo (released in 1991), their Blood Angel demo (which was never released up until this compilation), and a few live tracks thrown in at the end. The review will mostly focus on the two demos

Every once in a while we all encounter something that, against our better judgement, we can’t help but fall in love with. No matter how loudly our brain tries to convince us that there is nothing to like here and we should move on, we are drawn and held tightly.

Everything about Von is awful, there I said it. The drumming might as well be someone hammering on a pan at the same tempo for a half hour, the riffs are mind numbingly simple and each song usually consists of a singular riffs being repeated for a couple of minutes before abruptly switching to the next, the bass plods along following the guitar lines, and to top it all off, the whole thing might as well have been recorded in a garage using a cellphone strategically placed on the other side of the closed garage door while it’s raining out. Yet, somehow, without any apparent redeeming qualities, the whole thing just works.

The band hammer away at their songs for a half hour never seeming to slow down, or speed up, as they messily move through one riff after another, one song after another. The ever constant blast beats create the backbone that the rest of the instruments are then piled onto and although the lack of variety in the drum work may sound like a fault, it is one of the album’s greatest advantages. This ever constant presence at the heart of the album is the key ingredient that turns the album from the failure it should have been into the hypnotic trek it is. As the drums pound away, simple, repetitive guitar riffs weave their way in and out with the added weight of the bass. Given the short length of the songs, the riffs never get a chance to overstay their welcome and are quickly replaced by something new almost seamlessly as the album moves along at a steady pace without any semblance of a pause.

The final product can only be described as sounding ritualistic. With a vocal performance that is just as devilish as the album cover and thrown together just as messily as the rest of the instruments, the songs come together with a raw passion that works because it simply does not ever attempt to be more than it is. Satanic Blood Angel embraces all its faults and in the process uses each of them to its advantage and the end result is a hypnotic, ritualistic, bestial combination that has never, and probably will never, be recaptured in quite the same light.

All Them Witches Lightning At The DoorAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Maneige Les PorchesDark Castle Spirited Migration

July 17th 2015

Review probably sucks. Felt rusty as fuck writing this. This needed one though

Hawks

Pos bro, this rules.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

emester
July 17th 2015

Saw you mention this album in the lo-fi black metal thread. Will check this out sometime soon

Digging: Howls of Ebb - The Marrow Veil

July 17th 2015

Thanks guys. Def check it out emester, it definitely fits the "raw" bill

Would like to get around to reviewing some overlooked stuff like this. We'll see if I can get myself motivated for more than just a one off like this

emester
July 17th 2015

Giving it a listen right now and yeah albums pretty rough on the recording quality. Vocals are evil as all hell, so theres that I can praise right away.

FlyheadMetal

yah good review!

Digging: Gruesome - Savage Land

Gestapo

💯

Digging: Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto

OvDeath
July 18th 2015

nice, didnt expect a von review

Awesome review dude, pos'd

Got the dlp that nuclear war now! did of this, haven't span it in a while. Gonn have to go and dig it out now

July 18th 2015

Sweet thanks guys. I imagine that dlp has been sold out for a long time by now?

July 18th 2015

Yeah i bought mine about 6 years ago and i bought it off discogs, it was actually cheaper than the cd version at the time

July 18th 2015

Still some reasonably priced copies on discogs from the look of it. Just ordered the repress of Of Stone Wind and Pillor though so that ate up a good chunk of my music budget due to shipping prices to Canada being a total assfuckery + our exchange rate being in the toilet

July 18th 2015

Yeah shipping too and from canada is pretty brutal, i live in england and even getting tapes shipped from canadian labels and distros costs a small fortune