Celtic Frost
Monotheist

by beyondthethreshold13 USER (3 Reviews)
July 6th, 2015 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Return of the King

“I liked their old stuff better”. We’ve all heard it. A phrase uttered by dissatisfied fans who watched their beloved band once held to acclaim slowly start to release several lackluster or bad efforts and break hearts. Some of these bands eventually find their way back and make it okay to be a fan again. Comeback albums for bands of this type like Weezer’s “Everything Will Be Alright In The End” and Metallica’s “Death Magnetic” are satisfying enough for older fans, but are still missing some of magic.

After 1987’s “Into the Pandemonium”, Celtic Frost took a huge leap backwards and became a laughing stock of sorts for abandoning their thrash/black metal sound in favor of the bad hair metal album “Cold Lake”, the also disappointing “Vanity/Nemesis”, and the absolutely atrocious nu metal project “Prototype”. Fans were absolutely dumbstruck as to how a band that was once so good could go so wrong. Out of some kind of miracle, there is hope. Not only is “Monotheist” a worthy effort of their early work, it nearly succeeds it despite a different musical direction.

“Monotheist” manages to capture the magic of the band’s first three albums even though it fits more of a doom/goth metal sound. There’s still hints of their thrash/black metal past on certain songs throughout. “Domain of Decay” rips open old memories with it’s flying guitar riffs and Warrior’s signature constipated vocals. The highlight “Ain Elohim” is very “To Mega Therion”-era Celtic Frost. Another nice treat is the return of dueting vocals between Warrior and a female singer with “Drown In Ashes”. Reminding of the style included in several songs on CF’s first three albums, this time even more epic with the sludgy-doom riffs.

While cameos of the band’s past play a big factor into the greatness of this album, some newer sounds are refreshing and enjoyable. As well as the newer overall doom metal direction, some avant-garde elements are explored in several tracks. “Totengott” features mostly a dark ambient style and becomes engrossingly morbid with Warrior’s gutwrenching screams. The beginning part of “Synagoga Satanae” features an interesting drum chant of sorts soaked in guitar feedback. This all building up until those sucker punch doom riffs come and take over.

Overall, this really is a definitive comeback album and serves as a good closing chapter to what will likely be the last Celtic Frost album due to Warrior moving on to Triptykon.

metalheadpiyush (4.5)
monothiest is certainly one of the darkest and heaviest album ever period.............

RYMsfullofscenesters (2.5)
Monotonist...

Dethtrasher (3)

doooooom

good one!

Digging: Sonata Arctica - Silence

linguist2011
July 6th 2015

Truly awesome album, maybe their best. Great review too.

Digging: Ghost (SWE) - Meliora

LepreCon
July 6th 2015

It was an incredible return to form but To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium are still a little bit better. Pos'd

Sabrutin

2032 Comments

I like Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium definitely more, but this is a monster of an album nonetheless.

July 6th 2015

Great review, I spotted a small detail though; The vocals on ''Totengott'' are performed by Ain and not Fischer/Warrior.

Pos'd.

Album rules.

Yeah this album slays.

A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh is one of my fav songs ever.

Digging: Fear Factory - Demanufacture

July 6th 2015

Yeah it's very nice, simple but so effective and the atmosphere is amazing.

For sure.

I wouldn't put it ahead of Morbid Tales or To Mega Therion, but it's certainly just a notch below them.

TalonsOfFire
July 6th 2015

Great review, Drown in Ashes is amazing.

Digging: Foals - What Went Down

July 6th 2015

i don't think anyone would put this ahead of to mega thurion

OvDeath
July 6th 2015

my friend likes this more than mega therion but he's weird

July 6th 2015

I mean some people might like it more, you never know.

But yeah To Mega Therion is best hard.

July 6th 2015

yah i actaully know a friend who would 5/5 this and 4/5 to mega so i respectfully retract my comment lol

Psynuts
July 6th 2015

I love triptykon, so I should like this too right?

Yeah definitely.

Sabrutin

2032 Comments

Triptykon is the progression after this album's seeds, basically. I should rejam this one, been far too long since last time.

BigPleb
July 6th 2015

Still never jammed this, seems like a legit comeback record done right.

adr

Still never jammed this [2]

must jam tbh

Digging: Adversarial - Death, Endless Nothing and the Black Knife of...

July 6th 2015

Yeah you guys gotta get on it.

And yeah if you dig Triptykon you'll dig this for sure.

Dryden
July 6th 2015

Never really cared for this but still cool review.