Elliott Smith
Either/Or

by USER (5 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 19 replies | 2,811 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Folk-punk singer/songwriter Elliott Smith rose from indie obscurity to mainstream success in 1997 on the strength of "Miss Misery," his Academy Award-nominated song from the film Good Will Hunting. A native of Portland, Smith began writing and recording his first songs at age 14, later becoming a fixture of the city's thriving music scene; as a member of the band Heatmiser, he debuted in 1993 with the LP Dead Air, issuing his first solo effort Roman Candle on the tiny Cavity Search label a year later. For his 1995 self-titled album, Smith signed with the noted Kill Rock Stars label; Either/Or followed in 1997. He shocked all the fans by taking his own life on October 21, 2003.

1) Speed Trials
A very, very nice way to start of the album. This song is really mood setting and works greatly as a first track. The guitar in this song isn't remarkeble but its still good. The lyrics are great though. Nice song: 4/5

2) Alameda
Begins with a drum/guitar intro of 25 seconds. This shows his guitar skills for the first time. The chorus is a little more exciting and its almost hypnotising. It makes up for the verses that i don't really like personally. The chorus makes it worth while. Another nice song: 4/5

3) Ballad Of Big Nothing
A somewhat faster louder song. The strumming of the guitar is loud. This song almost sounds happy but don't be fooled. "Getting in to the back of a car for candy from some stranger" is one of the sentences. Not really happy now is it :) very cool song:4.5/5

4) Between The Bars
One of my favourite songs on the album. He sounds pretty depressed on this song. The complete lyrics are about alcohol. It really gives you a good picture of how he feels towards it. This song goes straight to your soul. Really Really love this one: 5/5

5) Pictures Of Me
I've never tried to play this song on my guitar but it sounds difficult at parts. He strums every second and creates a real weird kinda sound. But it works for me. Too bad its right after Between The Bars cause this one isn't nearly as cool as that one. The lyrics once again are depressed but i guess that he must have not been very happy (i know, i'm a rocket scientist) Pretty cool song: 3.5/5

6) No Name No. 5
Nice guitar intro of 15 seconds. Then the singing kicks in. Really slow and dark sounding. Very sad lyrics with sentences like "got a broken heart and your name on my cast" after 2 minutes a drum kicks in and the guitar changes a little and it makes the song a little more spectaculair. But i still don't really like this song 3/5

7) Rose Parade
Starts again with an intro of 15 seconds. But now the singing is a lil happier. The lyrics aren't really depressed in this song (for all i know) and he's singing about a parade. I personally like this one cause it's a bit of a different feel. 4/5

8) Punch And Judy
The singing kicks in immidiatly. There is no intro what so ever. I don't really like that but ok. Then the rest of the song plays. And it's nothing special. It's like the rest. At 1.44 suddenly some kind of little short 10 second guitar solo kicks in. Nice little difference but it doesn't do it for me: 3/5

9) Angeles
An AMAZING guitar plays throughout this song. It's a fast guitar intro of 40 seconds. Really nice way to start of the song. Then his voice kicks in and its all right. The verses are already great and you get almost hypnotised by his playing and voice. This was the song that i first heard and i still LOVE this song A WHOLE LOT!!! Really great, the best song on the album in my opinion 5.5/5 :)

10) Cupid's Trick
Another song without an intro and a very depressive feel to it. Starts of a bit boring but at 25 seconds another guitar or something kicks in and makes it all intresing all of a sudden. Then another verse kicks in and it's boring again. There is some kinda solo at 1.40 that works GREAT. But still this song is kinda hard to judge cause i like the chorus but hate the verse 4/5

11) 2.45 AM
Starts of with a ladder on guitar. I'm not sure why he does that cause i don't really like that. But then he starts singing and that makes up for a lot cause i like his singing in this song. Apart from that ladder that comes back every time i like this song: 4/5

12) Say Yes
This song almost sounds HAPPY. But after some time you can hear that it's not really all that jolly. I really like his singing in this song he hits some really high notes. Very nice ending for the album. Very pretty song :) 4.5/5

This album is really shows how greatly his guitar skills are and especially because of songs like Angeles & Between The Bars this album is defenitly worth while. I've listened to this album through headphones the other day and was enchanted almost. I really like this 4/5

OPIV
July 5th 2004

Nice review on an amazing album, I've had this for months but I still can't put it down.

cbmartinez
July 5th 2004

I really loved the Elliot Smith song in the Royal Tennenbaums, I've been meaning to pick up a CD.

August 24th 2004

Great review, I agree entirely. :thumb:

August 24th 2004

Woah, that's awesome! I was afraid it wouldn't be good enough for you!

Tangy zizzle

Nice review Andrew.

I like Elliot Smith now.

August 25th 2004

[QUOTE=br3ad_man]Woah, that's awesome! I was afraid it wouldn't be good enough for you![/QUOTE]

Hah, I have been a tad insane lately. :lol:

RollerQueen
August 25th 2004

It's an Alt/Indie family reunion! Good work. I agree with you. Metal and hard music has too many 4s and 5s around here. All we are saying is give Elliott a chance....

pixiesfanyo
August 25th 2004

Really nice review. He stabbed himself in the heart right?. So tragic.

Luxor
August 25th 2004

Good review Br3ad Man, I agree with most of it, but I think that Speed Trials definately deserves a 5/5. Oh, and you forgot to give Angeles a rating.

August 26th 2004

Angeles deserves no less than a 5/5, I'll fix it shortly

August 28th 2004

Threads merged. Sorry, not sure how no-one noticed, it was on the List and everything.

noooo, I did something I thought I'd never do :upset:

I was posititve that you'd done "XO". Oh well.

August 28th 2004

He's done three Elliot Smith reviews, XO amongst them.

August 28th 2004

oh...those arent in the list...

August 28th 2004

They're under Smith, Elliot. Either/Or was listed under Elliot Smith and Smith, Elliot. Sorry.

No problem

August 28th 2004

Meh, Bread's reviews are teh pwnzors anyway.

CommieCanada

Elliot Smith is god

SimpleMTS
August 28th 2004

My favorite Elliott Smith album by far, I think I agree personally more with Bread_man's reviews (it seems his favorites/rated higher songs are mine as well). Good review to you both.