The Word Alive
REAL.

by Shamus248 USER (54 Reviews)
June 19th, 2015 | 11 replies

Release Date: 06/11/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After 2012's "Life Cycles" was a favorable effort from The Word Alive, they build upon it and show they're getting better every day.

The Word Alive, a post-hardcore group from Phoenix, Arizona, are undoubtedly a talented act among their peers. The strong balance of clean and unclean vocals from the always reliable Tyler Smith allows guitarists Zack Hansen and Tony Pizzuti, drummer Luke Holland and bassist Daniel Shapiro to all follow suit. First time listeners may find them to be a lot like the other cookie cutter metalcore bands you see on Fearless Records, but just give them time. They'll grow on you. 2012's "Life Cycles" boasted a lot of what makes this group who they are, and "Real." is no different.

It's hard to not resist the catchy hooks of opening track "Play the Victim." The instrumentation is flawless on this track and it pays dividends when coupled with Smith's alluring screams. Tracks like "Lighthouse", a lyrical call to arms, are a little more simplistic, though simplicity works here too. Smith certainly has the pipes, and with a competent drumming execution from Holland, not to mention audible bass, the album stakes it claim from the opening handful of tracks. "Never Forget" puts Smith's in your face uncleans on display and it's a sight to behold.

"The Fortune Teller" gives the listener a vibe that manifests serious similarity to Woe, Is Me (a defunct metalcore suit from Rise Records.) Hansen doesn't pull any bells or whistles with his riffing. He just lets his guitar work keep the song going without trying too hard to be flashy and impressive. The group as a whole doesn't try to over-impress with their qualities. They just come in and get the job done. Smith's vocals are solid on "The Fortune Teller", as well as tracks such as "Your Mirage." "Your Mirage", one of this album's standouts, is a little experimental. It doesn't sound like the album's other tracks, though it hardly goes too far astray.

The Word Alive's third full-length draws to a close with "Collapsing", which starts off with some easy flowing riffs from Hansen and Pizzuti. Then Smith closes out a superb album with another strong vocal job. Needless to say, I was very impressed with "Real." I am very anxious to see if The Word Alive can top this.

Rascal Flatts Back to UsParamore After Laughter
Motionless in White Graveyard Shiftdangerkids Blacklist_
Gone Is Gone EcholocationJason Aldean They Don't Know
3.3

19069 Comments

you like so much shit music it actually gives me sympathy pains

June 19th 2015

you don't see me harping on your music tastes? if I told you all you listened to was shit, how would you feel?

Digging: Rascal Flatts - Back to Us

19069 Comments

probably rip on you again

June 19th 2015

which is all you do anyway...nice to know I can always count on you to comment on these, since clearly you have nothing better to do with your life.

I'd very much prefer some constructive criticism on my writing, and not your opinion of the band.

okely dokely then

i'd rather find this in the band description for these guys rather than in a review.

specifically what is flawless about the instrumentation?

a lyrical call to arms

you mind giving us an example?

the album stakes its claim from the opening handful of tracks.

how does it sound like woe is me? also the rise records bit is irrelevant and should be deleted.

They just come in and get the job done.

very insightful, man.

your mirage should have its own sentence, and you need to put in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more detail about why it's experimental and how it doesn't sound like the rest of the tracks.

delete this and replace it with a much stronger conclusion paragraph.

loveisamixtape

lmao

Beardog
June 20th 2015

Snake is like that annoying smart kid who seems like a dumb bully but still wrecks you with smart comments...

dswhite85
June 20th 2015

Snake = douche, just ignore him and he'll stop. No attention = no win.

alienobserver
June 20th 2015

"the album stakes its claim from the opening handful of tracks."

he got that part right

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

Gameofmetal
June 20th 2015

I can't believe snake actually gave someone constructive criticism

must be tired of saying "shit"

June 20th 2015

well that's only cause I literally asked for it...I get i'm not very good at this...yet. But, rather than making any of his own, he just comments on everyone's to make them feel inferior...but I'm over it. He's not worth my time.