Frodus
F-Letter

by Supercoolguy64 USER (65 Reviews)
June 11th, 2015 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Angular and fast-paced, Frodus delivers a solid recording

Frodus, a very fascinating band. Known for their energetic performances and strange lyricism, these guys made some very compelling music during their heyday. Their 1996 effort, F-Letter, was a sudden shift in sound when compared to their humorous and spastic early recordings such as Molotov Cocktail Party and Fireflies, and marked the beginning of their musical evolution that would eventually result in their abrasive and densely layered later albums like Conglomerate International and And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea.

F-Letter is perhaps the best place to start for anyone interested in the band, for it takes less time to digest when compared to the rest of their discography. The guitars squeal and hiss like a dying snake, and Shelby Cinca’s vocals consist of throat burning yelps. Musically, this album is like a big, fuzzy mess, and that’s a good thing. Tracks like “Cha-Chi” showcases the band’s hardcore roots well, the instrumentation is disorderly and the vocals are nothing short of insane. Opener track “The Feelgood Song Of The Year” grabs your attention with a catchy and scratchy guitar riff only to quickly explode in a bombardment of rough vocals, messy drumming, and crunchy guitars.

However, there are some major downsides to this record. For starters, the mixing for the album feels a little off. The bass sounds a little low in the mix when compared to everything else, leaving the album a little hollow-sounding from time to time. The instrumentation, while still enjoyable, isn’t quite as impressive when compared to some of their other releases.

With all things said, however, F-Letter is still very much an entertaining record that shows off the band’s punk influences and the musical direction they started to delve into by that point in time. The overall instrumentation and production could of been better, but for what it’s worth it’s still very much a fun listen.

Come (UK) RamptonHelmet Seeing Eye Dog
Helmet MonochromeHelmet Size Matters
Helmet AftertasteDavid Sylvian Dead Bees on a Cake
3.3

June 10th 2015

did a short one to help out with the lack of frodus revs on this site

Digging: Whitehouse - Mummy and Daddy

someguest
June 10th 2015

Tonight I think I'll write my biggest fan a 'fuck you' letter.

Digging: The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

BMDrummer
June 10th 2015

hopefully the whole discog will be done soon

yeah mang

June 11th 2015

Youve been pumping out the reviews lately

Posd

Digging: maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map

June 11th 2015

yeah, have a shit ton of free time on my hands so i've been trying to be more productive

June 11th 2015

I finished my exams yesterday so will probs be reviewing hard this summer. Already written half of one this morning

word up

Tunaboy45
June 11th 2015

Great review mate, have a pos

Digging: Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic

June 16th 2015

fun fact there's a frodus reference in hot line miami

June 17th 2015

first or second cos ive only played first

BMDrummer
June 17th 2015

my brother is obsessed with that game, i better tell him

June 17th 2015

im not sure which one, but frodus made a post about it on facebook and appaerently there's a level with the frodus buisness man head in it

June 17th 2015

oh shit Weapons was just reissued on cassette!

June 17th 2015

https://www.facebook.com/frodus/photos/pb.60257554065.-2207520000.1434558738./10153237889949066/?type=3&theater found it

2 not 1 then. Havent got round to playing that yet