Gucci Mane

by Lech USER (2 Reviews)
June 10th, 2015 | 7 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm a walking lick, I'm a talking brick

Radric Davis, at this point in his career at least, had displayed ingenuity in spades, yet failed to capitalise on his potential in any way. Then came Chicken Talk. A 23 song compilation of Gucci's finest mid 2000's material, the tape takes every positive element of the albums Trap House and Hard To Kill but removes every trace of the cheesiness, banality and lyrical stagnation found on those releases.

There's no big single here a la 'Icy', but the glossy production remains. The paranoia-fueled keys may be dwarfed by thick bass, but Gucci's style is far from the blunt, somewhat obtuse personality he seems to have in interviews. His delivery has taken a huge step up since the infantile flows of his debut, and now fills the spacious production with a thick, often distorted bellow that perfectly suits the rattle of hi-hats and thump of bass pedals as in every song the sounds of flutes, pipes, pianos and other melodic devices add a nostalgic subtlety to the gritty tales of Gucci's life.

Although very lengthy, Davis' third project sums up his career very well, hugely time consuming but totally worth it in the long run. With a surprising lyrical depth expanding way beyond his previous material, (including some shockingly self-aware material addressing subjects sorely missing from his other post-murder trial material) Chicken Talk consolidates Gucci's already very obvious potential into one of his most ambitious projects.

June 9th 2015

Mall here with a new account

Gimme feedback on this review guys : )

Arcade

pretty good review.

why'd you get banned?

Digging: Tame Impala - Currents

June 10th 2015

complaining about my ratings getting wiped

thought i'd start fresh and try and be a more productive user

SomeGuyDude
June 10th 2015

I'd argue this is a critical album for anyone getting into "trap" rap. There's nothing like "Icy" on here, and I think that's to the album's benefit. Instead, we get stellar tracks like "Swing My Door".

Rap like this doesn't get much love on here, thanks for giving this one a signal boost. Not a bad review, either. Brief, to the point.

June 10th 2015

good point there my friend, and yeah this guy is hugely under appreciated here

thanks for the pos too : )

oltnabrick

the best gucci mane

Digging: Goropsy - GOD GAVE ME ONE LIFE AND HE MADE ME UGLY

rufinthefury
June 10th 2015

I liked that Gucci album with Dead People and Lowest.

Digging: Girlfriends - Girlfriends