Tonight Alive
Consider This

by metalheadrunner USER (80 Reviews)
June 2nd, 2015 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Seek out Consider This.

Fit For Rivals. Paramore. Courage My Love. Tonight Alive. There are many more bands, but these are just some examples of female-fronted, angst-ridden pop/punk bands that've taken today's musical scene, and some have infiltrated multiple facets of pop culture (Paramore, for example). While Tonight Alive is much more obscure then the contemporaries listed above, don't let that turn you off. Consider This is a fun, bombastic EP that succeeds in being a heavily enjoyable pop/punk record, without leaning on the shoulders of a band like Paramore.

Lead vocalist Jenna McDougall leads the band's energetic push with a punchy, raw, sarcastic tone that still remains smooth and quite pleasant to the ears (something that FFR could take a lesson from). Jenna does draw some comparison to Hayley Williams (and yes, she's hot), but ultimately sounds just a slight bit deeper than the latter. As for the rest of the band, they all seem to rock harder their contemporaries, often drawing more reminders to post-hardcore with dark, pounding riffs and surprisingly punchy drums. However, TA does keep the volume level down for the pop/punk lover ("My Favorite Thing") is a fantastic cool-down after the pushing "5 Years" and "Wasting Away". Guitarists Jake Hardy and Whakaio Taahi are depended upon for songs like "Wasting Away" and "Revenge And Its Thrills", managing to seriously spice up the EP. The rhythm section isn't awful, and there are some fun drums fills (especially in "Revenge and It's Thrills"), but it's not quite enough to leave a lasting impression.

Like Paramore, TA carries a penchant for clever wordplay, wordplay that is crafty enough to hide the pure simplicity of the themes of finding yourself ("Wasting Away"), young love ("5 Years"), and dark times in life ("Revenge And It's Thrills"). Well, CT still remains a fantastic EP that truly displayed the potential that Tonight Alive carried in their early material. If you need a nice pop/punk fix, seek out Consider This immediately.

Pierce the Veil Collide with the SkyTonight Alive What Are You So Scared Of?
Pierce the Veil Selfish MachinesPierce the Veil A Flair for the Dramatic
Dream On Dreamer LovelessHollywood Undead Swan Songs
bullymong (4)
A more-than-solid blast of pop punk that gallops forward and is over as soon as it came and leaves t...

linguist2011
June 2nd 2015

Nice review. Just one thing to note:

" However, TA does keep the volume level down for the pop/punk lover ("My Favorite Thing") is a fantastic cool-down after the pushing "5 Years" and "Wasting Away""

I feel this would flow better thus:

"However, TA does keep the volume level down for the pop/punk lover-"My Favorite Thing" is a fantastic cool-down after the pushing "5 Years" and "Wasting Away"."

As for the band, I should check them out. I've heard a lot of hype about the band from a few friends, but they're the same people who hold Paramore in high regard too.

Digging: The Gathering - Mandylion

Mort.
June 2nd 2015

I dont know how you can consider tonight alive obscure in the slightest, theyre pretty damn popular by this point

Good rev anyway

Digging: The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Feather

1908 Comments

I've never heard of them, therefore they are obscure :^)

Anyway good review, will check out.

zaruyache
June 2nd 2015

last album went top 50 on the US charts. Totally obscvre.

Digging: False - Untitled

metalheadrunner
June 2nd 2015

Wow, everybody got hung up on the obscure comment. But thanks for the pos's and compliments!

Kronzo
June 2nd 2015

"As for the rest of the band, they all seem to rock harder their contemporaries,"

Should be a "than" in there if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise a great review, I never knew this EP existed having listened to their two full lengths so I might check it out

heavydirtysoul

tonight alive > courage my love >> paramore >>>>>>>fit for rivals

Digging: Bully - Feels Like

scottpilgrim10
June 3rd 2015

"Fit For Rivals. Paramore. Courage My Love. Tonight Alive. There are many more bands, but these are just some examples of female-fronted, angst-ridden pop/punk bands that've taken today's musical scene, and some have infiltrated multiple facets of pop culture (Paramore, for example)."

Mentioning Paramore at the end is a bit redundant considering they were already used as an example. Decent review. Wasting Away is a fantastic track, one of the band's best for sure.