Charles Bronson
Youth Attack!

by Howler1098 USER (1 Reviews)
May 29th, 2015 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

There are plenty of powerviolence bands and albums that can get your adrenaline racing; however, not many can do that in such a way that generates a need to release that energy onto the nearest punch-able surface. This is one of those few. Charles Bronson's 1997 effort packs a sharp and youthful punch that practically oozes with rebellious attitude.

Musically, this album fares well with keeping its aggression without dipping in song-writing quality. While it isn't very subtle, as is typical for most albums of this style, it has fairly great song structures. Most of the tracks on here don't completely rely on simply blasting their way through without restraint. It has plenty of dynamic changes throughout; these changes often come and go in a blink of an eye, so it's obvious that they never overstay their welcome. It also incorporates a few oddly catchy grooves and riffs, examples can be found in tracks like "Pre(im)mature Retirement Plan" and "Red and Green Make Yellow". All instrumental aspects aside, the vocals are definitely the standout feature here. They have a somewhat juvenile tone while maintaining an extremely angry energy.

Lyrically, this albums hold up, though not as high as it does musically. The lyrics pretty much involve simply saying "*** you!" to everyone and everything, which does end up complimenting the juvenile-sounding vocals rather well. Good examples of the lyrics on this album are from the first and second tracks, "Marriage Can Suck It" and "Youth Attack!". The first track's title is pretty much self-explanatory, and the second track involves simply rejecting the idea of growing old. Overall, the lyrics are quite entertaining if not taken seriously.

Ultimately, this album is a blast to listen all the way through multiple times in a row. It's angry, filled with energy, and it's a damn good stress reliever. Highly recommended.

Complete Discocrappy
recommended by reviewer
Infest No Man's Slave
Siege Drop Dead

Howler1098
May 28th 2015

First review, so constructive criticism is welcome.

Arcade

Death Wish 9:

"i wish i was dead..."

Digging: Tame Impala - Currents

Jacquibim

Now I'm goin' down to Emmett's fixin' shop, tooooo fix Emmett

Arcade
May 29th 2015

"Hey ma, how about some cookies?"

"No dice."

"This ain't ovah"

Jacquibim
May 29th 2015

I feel as if we're being rather poor contributors here, the review is good for a first if a little lacking in detail, but that's okay. Only real problem is this:-

this album fares well with keeping its aggression without sacrificing a dip in song-writing quality

I know what you're saying but "without sacrificing a dip" would mean there are in fact dips in song-writing quality, given how this sentence is worded. Simply saying "without dipping in song-writing quality" makes more sense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading back to Bronson, Missouri

GhettoHmbrglr

good band/actor

YakNips
May 29th 2015

how did this not have a review wtf

Digging: Self Defense Family - Heaven Is Earth

Howler1098

Fixed. Thanks, Jacquibim.

Also, I remembered this and Unsilent Death being similar when I was writing this for some reason, but I hadn't listened to the latter in quite a while.

sweet

Digging: Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes III

DrJohn
May 29th 2015

My friend Wildey's coming.