Elvis Depressedly
New Alhambra

by BandNewbac USER (4 Reviews)
May 23rd, 2015 | 13 replies

Release Date: 05/12/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No More Sad Songs.

I’m not going to pretend Elvis Depressedly isn’t an artist that I hold in high regard because of emotional impact. Of course this music does have that effect on me as I’m sure it does on many other people. But when I listen to New Alhambra, the band’s latest outing, I can’t help but feel that this music is directed almost entirely at myself. It’s this personal touch that makes this brief but thoroughly enjoyable little album so special. Much like Mats other releases this album works on much of the same formula, the sweet pop sensibility with a lo fi touch that adds charm to the warm analogue sound, however on new Alhambra there is the addition of a lot of interesting sounds and additional instrumentation. For example the beautiful string kissed N.M.S.S and the feverish delay effects that are found all over Mat’s vocals on songs like Thou Shall Not Murder. This instrumentation adds to the music in two ways. It adds an extra dynamic and layer of interest and at the same time gives the music more emotional weight and extenuates the lyrics to a degree I have never heard on any other of Mat’s projects.

On this record you will hear less Garage rock tunes than you are used to from Mat as he uses the two dynamics of this LP to form a perfectly paced track list. The album works in 2 parts with the slower more effect laden songs starting it and towards the end we hear more of the whole band rock songs like “Ease”. These songs have been in the bands live set for nearly a year now but on this record they take on an entirely new life. This new life might have a lot to do with the use of samples all over this LP. These samples are in the context of wrestling, which I’m sure you can work out if you google New Alhambra. These samples add something very interesting to read into whilst listening to this record and Every time I hear the intro sample to the song Big Break I cannot help but smile.

So yeah whatever this is kind of a *** review but I really feel like Mat has shown that he can bring even more emotional intensity and song writing prowess that he has already displayed so well on previous LP’s. whoever is even bothering to read this is probably thinking by now that I am some scene fag that spends all day on last FM under the Emo and Hardcore tags, whilst that maybe true to a certain extent, I am in no way depressed. I just like this music because it makes me feel good and not because I want to feel sad. I believe Mat himself has said before that he doesn’t write this music to appeal to people like me but because it’s what feels right to him, and I believe that passion and humble heart-warming attitude shines through on this album more than any other in his brief but wonderful discography.

Yeah whatever i guess

Digging: Eric's Trip - Love Tara

dimsim3478
May 23rd 2015

your ideas are all over the place (i.e. in need of a little more organisation) but i like your style of writing; it flows well and there's a nice balance between personal voice and informative content. pos'd; looking forward to reading more.

also it's "mat" and not "matt"

also correct rating : )

Digging: Ian Christ - Hara Kiri Arcade

Rhyme

this has AOTY potential, probably will end up on my top 10 at the very least

review's aight

Digging: Elvis Depressedly - New Alhambra

PappyMason
May 23rd 2015

Aye, need to check this out. I loved 'Halo Pleasures'.

BMDrummer

overdue but finally

May 23rd 2015

glad this got reviewed, cheers

dimsim beat me to it but his name is "mat"

Digging: Downfall of Nur - Umbras de Barbagia

May 23rd 2015

Okay thanks i'll change. yeah i'm no writer thanks for the pointers!

May 23rd 2015

the review is a little scattered and i'd cut/edit a few parts but its fine

this album is perfect so i dont really care

May 23rd 2015

i'll keep that in mind. Yeah it really is, i seriously think its my favourite of his.

May 23rd 2015

my ranking would go something like

hotter sadness > stoned alone > new alhambra > blue suicide > goner > posthumous release > holo pleasures > save the planet kill yourself > mickey's dead > baby prayers > disgraceland > gremlins > failure > failure II

May 23rd 2015

Yeah not far off from me. thought Holo pleasures would be further up though tbf

May 23rd 2015

yea holo pleasures could be above posthumous release depending on the day

itchybutthole