Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

by XxKillingxYouxX USER (1 Reviews)
May 4th, 2006 | 12 replies | 1,614 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster is a rock project fronted by a former metalcore vocalist; in this case, former Underoath vocalist Dallas Taylor. But unlike the recent load of rock-ish metalcore that’s rotted my ears (Bedlight For Blue Eyes, Fight Paris, Gods). I’ll have to admit despite my rather tunnel vision view on metal and rock adversity, this is the best of the ‘rock’ projects I’ve heard this year.

The band and concept of the album is named after the life and death of Ma Barkers legendary Southern Crime gang of the prohibition era. MatSoD is an attitude filled, earthy, swampy, hazy, rock tinged take on metalcore that reminded me of a modern incarnation of Zodiac Mindwarp and The Love Reaction but with a leaner metalcore sheen and without the chauvinism. Taylor provides a salty rock croon but injects enough harsh screams to keep it vaguely ‘core’. His clean voice is also soulful and laced with a smoky bar room swagger.

My subconscious foot-tapping and singing along clued me in to the album's crafty song writing as “Caution, Dangerous Curves Ahead" and the sinfully catchy chorus of “Gusty Like the Wind" impressed me early on. “Hell on The Rise" is gritty and mean with a burly, Whiskey drenched groove, that again causes involuntary neck and foot spasms. “Tough Like John Jacobs" is the sort heat reflecting off a desert highway road anthem that makes Redneck rock fans salivate. In fact, this entire album cries for dusty open road with the top down and a hot, overly made up Southern belle in the passenger seat and a fifth of Jack Daniels in my lap, or the other way around (though I imagine the band’s Christian background would frown on such occurrences). Album closer “Just Wanted to Make Mother Proud" is the perfect acoustic closure that I can imagine many a large banged gal resting her head on short sleeveless denim shoulders during kicking gout time at a smoky, broken glass littered bar somewhere in the South.

Nick Habisch (5)
If Lynyrd Skynyrd played music with balls .......

Understanding In a Crash (4.5)
"The South" now has my undivided attention....

II

III

IV

Iluvatar
May 5th 2006

This is a great blurb kinda. Honestly, with a little bit more time spent on it, this could just be a very short and concise review. Nice work anyways.

CramptoniusVII
May 5th 2006

Very good album from a great band. This blurb is a very concise view of the album, it might as well be a review. Very well written. I was thinking of reviewing this until laziness set in, but I couldn't do this justice like you have.

jaredrl
May 16th 2006

Dallas Taylor wasnt a metalcore vocalist. He sang very similar in his first eps (death Metal) and their debut (hardcore).

SunnyDayRealEstateAM
May 17th 2006

underoath were never hardcore... they were metalcore

jaredrl
May 18th 2006

Please dont talk. Fool.This Message Edited On 05.18.06

Groove Agent
June 10th 2006

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster is my favorite band right now. Their CD never gets old. I'm seeing them for the forth time in July with As Cities Burn. Ahh.. love these guys.

Tyler
June 27th 2006

This CD is awesome, but I wouldn't put it under Hardcore.This Message Edited On 07.29.06

cbmartinez

awesome band

bulldogwes06
August 9th 2006

one of the best albums of 2005
they are amazing live too

NeverFading14
November 12th 2006

Amazing band

Iluvatar
December 3rd 2006

For some odd reason I cant help but like this. It's incredibly cheesy, but its undeniably catchy and fun.