Thou/The Body
You, Whom I Have Always Hated

by Derek Spencer USER (3 Reviews)
April 27th, 2015 | 45 replies

Release Date: 01/27/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Exactly as good as you expected.

The collective amount of material Thou & The Body have released since the beginning of 2014 has started to blur the line between ambition and absurdity. With 2 full-lengths, 2 EPs, 2 compilations, and 1 split released in just over a year's time, doom metal behemoths Thou and experimental sludge duo The Body pair for a second time to present listeners with 23 more minutes of enveloping, drop-tuned arrangements: You, Whom I Have Always Hated.

As with their previous collaboration, Released from Love, Thou’s sparse, crawling guitar riffs and throat-scraping vocals constitute the foundation of the album. Dancing around the edges, then, is The Body--jabbing and prodding at listeners from behind Bryan Funck & co.’s under-worldly wall of sound. This relationship is at times disappointing, given The Body’s aptitude for stand-alone atmospherics and post-metal composition; and yet the decision to commit to a singular sound, rather than allowing either band to diverge on musical tangents, is what elevates this partnership above other collaborative projects (such as Full of Hell & Merzbow’s recent release). Occasionally, The Body manages to upheave Thou’s typically compartmentalized mix, overdriving sections with mid-range noise. These movements aptly serve to create tension, contrast, and release when placed in proximity to the weightier, half-time riffs.

Thou’s penchant for motif-driven composition only appears on the last two tracks of the album; portentous melodies swell, repeat, and reiterate themselves as The Body chimes in with oscillating spurts of disruptive atonal blare, unintelligible spoken word segments, and concentrated feedback loops. Cleanly sung and harmonized vocal melodies hanging above both bands indicate the end of the record, a final movement that invites listeners to take their eyes off the throbbing earth and look upwards.

This release's strength--its seamless integration of two distinctive metal forces--necessarily entails some consequence. While any given track or riff from this album is just as defensible as any other each band has produced, a lack of cohesion prevents all of these moments from realizing their full impact. Songs are individually well written, but the album is more of a collection and less of a unified project, lacking the gravitas that Thou's Heathen or The Body's I Will Die Here utilize to summon immensity and tragedy.

You, Whom I Have Always Hated is a suitably heavy album, a skillful collaboration, and a fine addition to Thou & They Body's onslaught of material. All of this, however, is insufficient to break ground on territory not yet exploited by previous efforts.

Arcade
April 26th 2015

you probably could've gone into a bit more depth but the review is alright

been putting off listening to this but i'll check it out soon, Heathen ruled

Digging: Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

April 26th 2015

the review's fine, and this album is so fucking venomous.

disagree about the 'lack of cohesion' though.

ScuroFantasma
April 26th 2015

Well written review, pos'd.

Digging: Emperor - IX Equilibrium

Arcade

a collab between The Haxan Cloak / The Body / Thou would be amazing

April 26th 2015

Listening to this for the first time and its even more crushing than I expected.

April 26th 2015

Gotta listen a few more times but that was I think one of the best things I've heard all year.

April 26th 2015

play the first collab before this, it goes so well in that order

R6Rider
April 26th 2015

Happy this got a review.

Ridiculously heavy. Wish it was a full length.

Frippertronics

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle
April 26th 2015

lurking fear is amazing. nice review, dude. have a pos.

Digging: Lorde - Melodrama

Funeralopolis
April 26th 2015

Only thought this was just okay on first listen, need to jam more cus The Body rules hard.

Digging: Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up

CrimsonLies

Yeah, this is awesome

ComeToDaddy
April 26th 2015

Absolutely killer split. Nice work on the review man, it's a bit wordy in parts but you made some great points and know what you're talking about. Pos'd hard

zaruyache
April 27th 2015

The The Body/Braveyoung collab was also really cool, so if you liked this you should definitely check that out, too.

Archelirion
April 27th 2015

Pleased someone reviewed this, probably top 5 of 2015 so far for me. Have a pos for the review!

Top 2 for me atm

ceaselessfun
April 27th 2015

Glad everyone's digging the review. I'm not sure I'd put this album in my top 5 of the year, but it's certainly one of my top 3 metal releases in 2015 so far (along with Leviathan & SUMAC).

Slut
April 27th 2015

This was enjoyable. I haven't returned to it though

Slut
April 27th 2015

Nahh heathen is easily better than this

April 27th 2015

yes heathen is better, but this with "released from love" is real close