Megadeth
Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?

by Ross Delany USER (35 Reviews)
May 3rd, 2006 | 10 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Megadeth are a fairly ďnew" band to me, if you get my meaning. Formed in 1983 by former Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine, they are, in relation to me, as old as the hills; but does that matter? Some of the best music comes from way back when. So letís just say it doesnít matter, Lets just say that age doesnít matter, where does that leave us? Iíll be coming back to this question later one. but for all intensive purposes, lets fast forward to 1986, the year that ďPeace SellsÖBut whoís Buying?" was released. I could go on and on, but letís skip the preamble now, and dive right in.

Funnily enough, at first, with the intro track ďWake up Dead" I mistook it for an old rock track, it mislead me. But with the solo kicking in not even a quarter of the way through the song like some tap-dancing ant on each string of the guitar, you can tell that this is metal, through and through. One of the first things that someone who isnít a true metal fan will notice is the rather cool solos, being more into the alt rock, pop punk and indie-pop side of things, my jaw just dropped at some of these solos. The ďDevils Island" intro is a great example of this. Although a couple of months ago Iíd have blasted such a thing as showing off for the sake of it, now, after listening to bands like Fall of Troy, (not metal, I know) Iíve seen how solos and technical guitar playing can make what would be an average song, a great one.

I do have some small problems with this album though, bass player David Ellefson canít be heard in most of the tracks. Iím not sure if this is a recurring theme in metal, but if it is, itís a worrying one. a lack of audible bass is something Iíve never liked, thankfully, he makes himself heard with a rather cool little bass riff in ďBad Omen" and another in ďMy Last Words", so I suppose that everything evens itself out in the end, but itís still a minor problem which, granted, doesnít take away from the experience to much, but you get the feeling that Ellefson could have done a bit better

Gar Samuelson however, in comparison to his rhythm section counterpart, manages to make himself heard throughout the entire album; which normally, is ok, but on this occasion, brilliant. The drumming is a true highlight on the album, in fact, if the consistency and quality of the solos wasnít as great as it is, would be the high point of the album. itís beauty can probably be attributed to the fact that itís not overshadowed by the guitar, which, again, given the solos, is rather amazing.

Iím going to say something people will laugh at now, Dave has a good voice. Yes, itís a bit growly, but polished vocals arenít whatís needed here, Mustaineís voice fits in with the other aspects of the songs, and doesnít sound out or place. ďI ainít Superstitious" is a good example of this. Granted, itís not a ďmetal" song, but considering the way itís played, Daveís vocals fit in with the rest of the song amazingly well.

Anyway, letís cut to the chase, shall we? What do I think of this album? Well, considering that Iím not a huge metal fan, I think this is a great album, the lack of bass in some tracks can be irritating sometimes, but who wants perfection? Perfection is boring. As Iíve said, I love the solos, the songs would be really boring if theyíd been really basic; so showing off has went up a few points in my book. Another thing however, is my personal thank you to Cathedral. Thankfully, that stupid ass has done something right and gave me a footing in metal, thanks Cath.

Rating: 4.5/5

Muse The ResistanceThe Fall of Troy Phantom on the Horizon
City and Colour SometimesThrice Red Sky
The Fratellis Costello MusicMuse Showbiz
4.3

May 3rd 2006

i know F.O.T aren't metal, but i recommmended them because of their guitar work

Neoteric

Thanks for the mention!

I guess.....

May 3rd 2006

lol, ok, what do you think? lol

Neoteric
May 3rd 2006

Good from someone that isn't familar with the band.

pattern_recognition
May 3rd 2006

Yeah, that's pretty much it.
And you can hear Dave E. alright most of the time, just listen to the classic intro to the title track.

fisky009
May 3rd 2006

Megadeth are in a way new to me, the songs that is. I really like them, I've listened to alol of Metallica and Megadeth seem to more heavier.

Nice review, I love Peace sells.

spoon_of_grimbo
May 3rd 2006

hey innerdark, respect for reviewing something outside of your usual tastes. it speaks volumes about the quality of megadeth's music that a non-metal fan can get into them so easily, especially considering how unaccessible they can be (it took me ages to get into them to start with, back when i was a metallica/offspring/radio-rock fan lol!).

great review!

May 4th 2006

thanks for that, i'd been meaning to do this for a while

Apathy
May 4th 2006

This is a purely awesome CD...Megadeth are one of my all time favourites. 5/5 material.
Excellent review, as well.

RayTuRd
May 4th 2006

I love this album. Megadeth rule. This Rust in Peace are my fav megadeth albums.