Autechre
Garbage

by RivalSkoomaDealer USER (30 Reviews)
March 28th, 2015 | 84 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A beautiful mess.

There is nothing more life affirming than to experience sadness. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve developed an emotional numbness that often prevents me from allowing myself to feel true, fundamental sorrow. There are very few pieces of music that cause me to manifest the feelings that Garbage does. Somehow Autechre’s layered noise manages to break through my callousness and reach deep into my emotional core. Listening to Garbage transports me to a not too distant future, where technological advances have caused humankind to further detach from each other to the point of social ineptitude.

These tracks are a collection of cuts that didn’t make it onto the Amber album hence the title “Garbage.” Most people refer to Amber or Tri Repetae as Autechre’s first masterpiece but for me Garbage will always be Autechre’s first work of brilliance. The opening seconds of “Garbagemx” is the sonic equivalent of a machine factory coming to life, with what sounds like a drill revving beneath some taps and cymbals. The whole track has this unsettling atmosphere that carries the listener down an assembly line of many different melodies and textures. This EP introduced Autechre’s template for bringing different unique sounds and melodies that fade in and out of the track and set the stage for further works like Tri Repetae. Each track evolves with an unpredictable nature that keeps the listener engaged despite the minimalist approach to each composition. “PIOBmx” plays out like some dystopian nightmare. Its gurgling synths croak forward, droning on with a haunting, sinister undertone that begins several minutes in. “Bronchusevenmx24” allows for a few brief moments of calm to ensue that lulls the listener into a sort of euphoric meditative state. Distant bells can be heard beneath some percussive synth patterns. This track stands out from the others as being less bleak and harrowing, a curious addition to an EP rife with atmospheric turmoil. The EP climaxes on closer “VLetrmx” with swelling synth chords that crescendo into a riveting final moment.

I already feel I’ve said too much. For those that haven’t heard this yet, I hope I haven’t ruined the experience for you by projecting my own listening experience onto you. The best way to experience and truly appreciate this and much of Autechre’s other projects is to hear them for yourself, without any external influence or distractions. Turn off the lights of the room you’re in, turn off your phone, turn off your thoughts and worries, and just let these four tracks wash over you completely.

Passion Pit KindredLudacris Ludaversal
Drake If You're Reading This It's Too LateJohn Carpenter Lost Themes
Periphery Juggernaut: OmegaPeriphery Juggernaut: Alpha
4.2

Let
March 28th 2015

Yes! I've been listening to this a ton lately, and its grown to become possibly my favorite release from them. Garbagemx and especially Bronchusevenmx are gorgeous. In my view, their is nothing shrill or ultimately unpleasent about Bronchusevenmx. It always puts my at ease, and gives some kind of calm contentment. Anyway great review, and lovely EP. posd

March 28th 2015

Shrill probably wasnt the correct word for it. Gonna take it out I think.

Anyway, thanks!

Digging: Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

Ryus

nice, finally a review

Hyperion1001

19975 Comments

yes finally i can bump this album

definitely one of the best things theyve ever done. tbh i own this on vinyl and its one of my most prized possessions.

killer review.

March 28th 2015

Thanks, Hype. This would sound great on vinyl.

Relinquished
March 28th 2015

good shit, bout time it got one.

"Bronchusevenmx. It always puts my at ease, and gives some kind of calm contentment."

yea agreed, it's def one of their best tracks, and one of my favourites of all.

ShitsofRain

nice Let

reminds me of how i felt

Calc
March 28th 2015

funny i feel the opposite about crying. i don't miss it at all lol. i really should listen to this group more though i have quaristice (or whatever its called) and it rules I'd prolly like the rest of their stuff too

Digging: Undicii - Ore

Avagantamos
March 28th 2015

awesome review. more autechre EPs need to be reviewed. also, no H in geogaddi

Digging: Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Eloriaz
March 28th 2015

I need to listen to this soon. It's been a while. Nice review!

Digging: Homemade Weapons - Negative Space

Chortles

19336 Comments

this is garbage

Digging: Arab Strap - Elephant Shoe

20892 Comments

This is somehow relaxing and sexually exhiliherating.

DrMaximus

12005 Comments

Damn dude

20892 Comments

Haha, is that inappropriate? Are we drawing those lines now?

DrMaximus

12005 Comments

Lol, all Autechre is sexually stimulating tbh

March 29th 2015

This makes me so sad in the best possible way. Fascinating how we all interpret music differently.

20892 Comments

The ending track brought sadness, but the three before were more of the texture I previously described. I Posd by the way.

Kman418
March 29th 2015

this has a really specific atmosphere and its something i don't think autechre have covered with any other release

its kind of lonely

danielito19
March 29th 2015

vletrmx is just the terminator ii theme slowed down

Digging: Nathan Fake - Drowning in a Sea of Love

Cant unhear T2 theme now, thnx. =P

I did polish my write-up a bit just because it was bugging me how it was structured. Also needed to address the brilliance of "Garbagemx" which I inexplicably left out. Think this reads much better.