Ozzy Osbourne
No More Tears

by madanthony USER (4 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2006 | 44 replies | 12,842 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

When most bands try something new, it really sucks. For instance, when van halen hired sammy hagar, eddie started writing a lot of vomit inducing power ballads with sammy's really shallow lyrics. Plus, who could forget the last three craptacular Metallica albums? Well, when ozzy tries something new he succeeds, as this is his best selling album to date, selling 6 million copies worldwide.

So what's new anyway? Well Ozzy decided to sober up which really changed his song writing closer to VH and GNR rather than Black Sabbath. Second, Ozzy hired Motorhead's Lemmy Killmister to help with the song writing. Lastly, Ozzy gives a shot at writing ballads.

Why It Conquered
Songwriting appeals to a wider audience-instead of singing about satan and other demonic creaters (with the exception of Zombie Stomp), Ozzy writes about more personal issues such as being molested on the opener, Mr. Tinkertrain, and dedicating Mama, I'm Coming Home to his wife and kids. Hellraiser talks out the tough life of being a rock star, and I Don't want to change the World explains how people see him as if he we're the messiah. Also, Ozzy has changed the keys of most of songs to more Van Halen-esque chord changes, as you can easily tell in I Don't want to Change The World, S.I.N. and Mr. Tinkertrain.

Zakk Wylde is at his best-Zakk has really evolved since No Rest For the Wicked and is so much better than Jake E. Lee. He is very well rounded on this album whether it be shredding on No More Tears, and Mr. Tinkertrain, to playing soft ballads such as Mama, I'm Coming Home, and Time After Time to even incorpurating a wee bit of southern rock on A.V.H. His best solo, No More tears is on this and I have seen it on a lot of top 100 guitar solos lists

Bass-Any Bass player will love No More Tears, and Zombie Stomp as they both start out with unforgettable bass lines. Mike Inez (also the bass player for AIC) Isn't half bad in my opinion. He keeps a solid rythm with drummer Randy Castillo and Isn't one of those bass players that just follows the guitar player wich really gives the songs a lot more staying power.

What was bad.
Ballads-Nothing was really bad about No More Tears, but there was one thing that really bothered me and that is the Ballads. Mama I'm Coming Home is beautiful and very powerful, but Road to Nowhere and Time after Time suck horribly. They just don't appeal to me and I can easily imagine any Ozzy fan vomiting with rage after hearing those two songs. Luckily, Ozzy was smart and produced 9 other great songs so the Ballads don't ruin the album, but it keeps it from becoming a five out of five.

Verdict.
In my opinion this is Ozzy's best album second only to Diary of a Madman. If you don't like Ozzy I think you should give this album a try. Especially if you are into hard rock. If you like this album I highly suggest Van Halen's debut album or Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood.

Best Songs-No More Tears, Mr.Tinkertrain, Hellraiser, S.I.N., Zombie Stomp

Pedro B. (4.5)

Thor
May 2nd 2006

This was a decent review, but it's a bit lacking in detail.

masada
May 2nd 2006

[quote=Review]For instance, when van halen hired sammy hagar, eddie started writing a lot of vomit inducing power ballads with sammy's really shallow lyrics...[/quote]

Ever listen to David Lee Roth's?

Anyway, the review doesn't really describe the music at all. You could work on that.

MyRamona
May 2nd 2006

the review was ok, but yeah it doesn't describe the music in any depth. Mama i'm coming home is an ozzy classic.

tom79
May 2nd 2006

Hellrasier is a really good song.

Digging: Rainer Maria - Look Now Look Again

madanthony
May 2nd 2006

David Lee roth may not have deep meaningful lyrics, but they're definitley not as whimpy and cliched as Sammy's
David:"My love is rottin' to the core!" as comparison to,
Sammy: "How do you know when it's love? It's just something you feel together!"
Yep. David is way betterThis Message Edited On 05.02.06This Message Edited On 05.02.06

metallicaman8

I agree^

I like this album. Decent review, the only thing I didn't like was the cheap shot on 'Tallica in the first paragraph. Although, it was a justified statementThis Message Edited On 05.02.06

Bfhurricane
May 2nd 2006

This album is good, not great. I like a lot of Ozzy's other stuff much better, though there are definitely classics on this one

lord of the strings
May 2nd 2006

review is too rushed, but good altogether. mr. tinkertrain really zakk's ability to do technical things ie: pinch harmonics everyone wishes they could do, and fake whammy bar tricks etc. etc. good album too many ballads also.

madanthony
May 2nd 2006

Yeah, I have a tendency to rush my writing sometimes. Its probably because I want to get to my best ideas quick and I forget to add detail. I'll make sure my next review is stronger.

August 20th 2006

Someone should review this. I would, but I'm too cool for reviewing.

This album is really bad actually, quite like 95% of all Ozzy I've had the misfortune of hearing.

yeah but dude he wrote CRAZY TRAIN

yeah but dude he wrote CRAZY TRAIN

Which is probably the most obnoxious song on BLizzard of Ozz zomg.

but dude....RANDY RHOADS

but dude....RANDY RHOADS

Is a great guitarist. But a mediocre songwriter, and combine that with Ozzy's crap voice and you've got a recipe for disaster.

yeah but dude he's the PRINCE OF DARKNESS

August 20th 2006

Oh shit you're right. OZZY RULES!!!

Seriously though, this is a horrible album. Any thoughts, Custimus?

August 20th 2006

I've only heard "Mama I'm Coming Home." It's the sappiest excuse for a piece of shit song I've ever heard.

but he bit the HEAD OFF OF A FUCKING DOVE

August 20th 2006

... Yeah that was pretty hardcore actually. More than makes up for one of his bad albums. But only one.

August 20th 2006

I'm sure Ozzy would be happy to know that he didn't bite the head off of a dove in vain.

Bfhurricane
January 14th 2007

I just realized that Hellraiser is an awesome song. It's on Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (I was playing it today).