Rorschach
Protestant

by Mort. USER (12 Reviews)
January 7th, 2015 | 30 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rorschach’s 2nd LP lays down the blueprint for metallic hardcore

Rorschach’s influence on the metalcore scene is undeniable. From the torn up, raspy vocals that clearly influenced Jacob Bannon of Converge, to the frantic blastbeats and intense riffs that have been imitated countless times, Rorschach’s 2nd LP Protestant laid down the blueprint for metallic hardcore. Why it’s been imitated so many times is clear to see, as throughout “Protestant” Rorschach consistently lay down the sort of menacing and aggressive riffs that bands such as Botch and Converge have been acclaimed for. Crunchy basslines lurk threateningly under urgent, brightly toned riffs, while vocalist Charles Maggio produces the sort of tortured howls that most vocalists could only dream of achieving. As mentioned earlier, Chris’s vocal style is extremely similar to that of Jacob Bannon’s on Converge’s first few records. Lyrics are barked, shrieked, screamed and howled at high speed with the sort of pissed off delivery often found in hardcore.

However Protestant shows Rorschach have more to offer than just chaotic hardcore, as elements of sludge often creep through in the guitar work. Chaotic riffs surreptitiously morph into slow, ominous parts while Chris’s delivery slows down in favour of longer shrieks instead of the fast delivery found elsewhere. These moments show Rorschach’s consistency as a group as all the facets of the band come together in this adaption of style, as the changes from proving an underlining current to overlaying off kilter progressions which the guitar would have otherwise been providing.

However Protestant can get ahead of itself. Riffs that don’t seem to go anywhere are repeated a few times too many in an almost arrogant display of over confidence, as for all the changes in pace Protestant can get monotonous. Not to say that the material isn't good in itself, just that there is a lack of variety in sound throughout Protestant that can get suffocating sometimes, as the unrelenting dissonance and aggression can become all encompassing. Some of the best moments on the album are when Rorschach just let up for a few moments, letting the wall of noise dissipate into more melodic riffs that feel like a breath of fresh air

But what this monotony takes away from the overall experience is minimal, as Protestant is still a consistently punishing record. Further testament of the talent and lasting influence of the members is that fellow seminal metalcore acts Deadguy and Kiss It Goodbye both shared ex-members of Rorschach, with both bands also taking noticeable influence from the record. The dark and menacing tones and style found here can be heard imitated with an original spin on the fore-mentioned bands LP’s, as well as bands such as Zao and Converge. Protestant is a concise and powerful album that may not be perfect nor especially experimental, but it paved the way for countless bands to come.

Down I Go This is DisastercoreFrontierer The Collapse
Down I Go This is RobotcoreWow, Owls! Pick Your Patterns
Training for Utopia Throwing a Wrench in the American MusicBear Noumenon
4.2

January 7th 2015

give me feedback for my shitty review

Digging: Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime

Slut
January 7th 2015

Cool band/ album good job

demigod!
January 7th 2015

good review, album needed one.

now who's gonna review remain sedate??

Digging: My Alias - Light

DoctorDoom
January 7th 2015

Nice review. This band is an undeniable classic for Metalcore.

thanks lads

lef456
January 7th 2015

Nice to see this finally got a review

MMX

Classic album

riffariffic7
January 7th 2015

I'll have to check this out since I'm growing more accustom to metalcore/hardcore music. The name of the band by itself has me sold. Plus, this is a solid review, man, it's short but a decent read. Thumbs up from me, sir.

NeroCorleone80

Not a fan of this one, but I like Remain Sedate

Tunaboy45

Sweet review Mort

Digging: Warpaint - Warpaint

January 7th 2015

"Not a fan of this one, but I like Remain Sedate"

oh come on

Digging: Coil - The Ape of Naples

January 7th 2015

also didn't read the review, pos'd because you made it exist

thanks i guess art haha

it was a compliment :]

Mister Twister

1923 Comments

"Riffs that don’t seem to anywhere are repeated"

other than that, I'm just mad because I procrastinated too much when I said I was gonna be the one to review this

needed one, good review

January 7th 2015

whoops, missing a word, thanks man

Pajolero
January 8th 2015

Props for reviewing this, band deserves much attention. If you like Deadguy and Kiss it Goodbye (and you're a huge looser if you don't) this is a must-listen.

DecayingMajesty