Basic Channel
Quadrant Dub

by Supercoolguy64 USER (57 Reviews)
December 9th, 2014 | 65 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Music for a cold night

It’s raining outside, hard. I stare out my windows, looking down upon the wet streets. It’s been like this all day. The sky is a foggy violet color, and the moon is nowhere to be seen. All I can hear is the sound of heavy rain, however I can’t tell if it’s coming from outside or from my headphones.

Icy synth loops come to my attention. The sharp tone of the synths layered with the 4/4 beat in the background is very soothing. I sit back in my chair, still looking out my window. I watched the small rain drops on my window dribble. I watch how they streak, hitting the other rain drops below, forming longer chains of water. Overtime, the synths simply wash around the song, but they never leave. Instead, they stick around until the song fades out.

I kept watching the world outside, then I noticed that it stopped raining. Fading into the second track, the synths come back just as cold as ever. Shortly after, vocal samples are thrown into the mix. I cannot tell what exactly they’re saying to be honest, but that’s not the point. The vocals are there not to entertain, but to texture. They drift in and out of the track in a dreamy, almost unnoticeable fashion.

The clouds are still, the streets are soaked. More and more simple synth lines are added to the mix, layering the track, forming beautiful soundscapes. A small, white puff drifts from the sky. Then, there was another puff. Then another. The next thing I knew, the entire sky was cluttered with these miniature clouds.

Drum beats, soaring background synths, and icy leads was all I could hear for a while. The snow landed in the large puddles of water on the ground, automatically melting. I slumped in my chair, what a great sight to see. The synths start to wash out again, and the track finally fades away. Everything was quiet and dark.

I checked my laptop and, to my shock, I find out that I’ve been listening to those two songs for over thirty minutes! The way the two tracks hypnotize you make it feel like you’ve been listening for only a couple of minutes at the most.

I turned back to the window, lying on my elbows. It’s snowing outside, hard. I stare out my windows, looking upon the wet streets. It’s been like this for a while now. The sky is a deep gray color, and the moon is nowhere to be seen.