Little Richard
Little Richard

by manosg USER (42 Reviews)
December 8th, 2014 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1958 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While Here's Little Richard was groundbreaking, this is a more consistent release and a more enjoyable listen overall.

A raspy voice singing “a whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boom” and the rest is history. Much like the opening riff of “Black Sabbath” was vital to the creation of heavy metal, “Tutti Frutti” was unlike anything in music at the time of its release. And much like after Black Sabbath nothing was the same again, Little Richard’s influence in shaping rock n roll is undeniable. Apart from his over the top (for the time) appearance and ambiguous sexuality, Little Richard brought to R&B an energy and swagger that legends like Fats Domino, Ray Charles, et al. hadn’t at the time.

Apart from the image factor, what Little Richard (or Chuck Berry) did was take the blues speed ‘em up and add soloing whether this was a guitar, piano or saxophone solo. Little Richard’s debut Here's Little Richard, did exactly that. Including the game changing “Tutti Frutti” and tracks like “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up”, it laid the foundation for Little Richard’s success and is probably his most well known release.

Little Richard continues where Here's Little Richard left of by building on an established formula while being slightly more consistent than its predecessor. Still boasting prominent songs like “Lucille” and "Good Golly, Miss Molly" it’s a solid stab of rock n roll and R&B. The focus is of course on Little Richard’s energetic vocals with his trademark wails and “oooohh”s such as in the preposterous "Ooh! My Soul". That being said, the instrumentation is top notch with playful piano melodies, prominent wind sections and noticeable percussion. I called the percussion “noticeable” because up until then very few songs had audible and meaningful drumming. Just listen to the beginning of "Keep a Knockin'" which is practically the same with Led Zeppelin’s "Rock and Roll" to the point where you expect to hear Jimmy Page’s guitar or the bass drum on "All Around the World".

To make a long story short, if you’re interested in listening to a piece of music history and a big reason that your favorite bands/artists do what they do today, feel free to check this album. His debut might have a more energetic opener but is less consistent and varied, making Little Richard an overall more enjoyable listen. For fans of rock n roll this is a classic and a must hear while for all others certainly a very fun album.

Blind Guardian Tokyo TalesMonster Magnet Milking The Stars
Rotting Christ Sleep of the AngelsMidnight No Mercy for Mayhem
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band Paul Butterfield Blues BandNina Simone Pastel Blues
4.3

December 8th 2014

In line with the millions of 2014 lists, I thought to review this one.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygdy0zoAKo

Your comments are appreciated.

Digging: Witchfynde - Give 'em Hell

zakalwe

You rock dude.

Digging: The dB's - Stands For Decibels

thanks dude

danielcardoso
December 8th 2014

"Little Richard continues were Here's Little Richard left of"

Little Richard continues where Here's Little Richard left off.

Just one little mistake I noticed. Besides, great review as usual. Pos'd from me.

December 8th 2014

Nice catch Daniel, I appreciate it.

Arcade
December 8th 2014

genuinely surprised nobody has reviewed a single Little Richard album, kudos to you man!

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

December 8th 2014

Awesome choice for a review manos, HUGE pos

Sabrutin

Awesome choice for a review manos, HUGE pos [2]

I was about to write the same thing, pos'd hard.

December 8th 2014

Thanks guys. I had a really good time writing this review and your praise is much appreciated.

eddie95

Good Golly, Miss Molly is an epic track

Digging: Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

December 8th 2014

Manos, I strongly suggest you to check out the albums "Elvis Presley" and "Chuck Berry on Top". Imo, these 3 albums are the holy trinity of classic rock n roll.

laughingman22

1937 Comments

You rock dude [2]

December 8th 2014

Thanks bro, you rock as well.

@rockandmetaljunkie
With my limited knowledge on the rock n roll music scene of the 50s, I agree with you 100%. His debut is more groundbreaking even though for me this is a slightly better album so I'd have Here's Little Richard and the two you've mentioned as the "big" three.

Also, I think I have read somewhere that Elvis was rejected by a record company before signing eventually to RCA which is hilarious.

December 8th 2014

^ Yeah, I knew that, the record company you're referring to was Sun Records. It was major company back then. I think that happened due to the fact that Elvis wasn't an iconic figure yet. The only truth is that the record company got choked with that decision.

December 8th 2014

"With my limited knowledge on the rock n roll music scene of the 50s"

Here are some records that you might enjoy:
Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio - Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio
Link Wray & The Wraymen - Link Wray & The Wraymen (or any other record by Link Wray in the 50's or 60's)
Bo Diddley - Have Guitar, Will Travel
Ray Charles - Ray Charles

December 8th 2014

Cool, thanks for the recs. I've checked Link Wray's s/t, Bo Diddley's s/t, a few from Ray Charles but nothing from Johnny Burnette. I'll give all those a listen in due time.

ArsMoriendi
December 8th 2014

"nobody has reviewed a single Little Richard album"

It's because most of Sputnik avoids anything that's pre-60s. Sadly, me included.

Good read though, pos'd review.

Digging: Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Mirror Man

deslad
December 8th 2014

Wow, second review in two days and a great one too. I haven't checked out anything by Little Richard; I'll probably start with this one.

Digging: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

December 8th 2014

Thanks Ars and deslad. This is actually a great starting point and his debut is an excellent album too. Both albums are under 30 minutes so they're fairly easy to listen.

Titan

great review manosg, pos'd

i have a bunch of his original pressings as my Mom was into this style of music, most of which are in pristine condition