Joyce Manor
Never Hungover Again

by Mark A. CONTRIBUTOR (73 Reviews)
December 6th, 2014 | 22 replies

Release Date: 07/22/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The construction of the songs on Never Hungover Again is a bit like a sampler platter, as it displays the gamut of everything that Joyce Manor can do, and it does so in less than twenty minutes.

For as simple as Joyce Manor's music can be, it is surprisingly hard to describe them to someone who has never heard them. They have a pretty cut-and-dry songwriting formula yet somehow sound completely original, they are tongue-in-cheek while also seeming totally sincere, insert next conundrum here. The catchy qualities in their songwriting never rely on being overproduced or saccharine sweet, which is the main draw for punk bands like them and Dear Landlord; the authenticity always made it that much more fun to belt out the choruses in the car with some friends. Joyce Manor's self-titled LP is one of my all-time favorite albums and after the disappointment that was the follow-up Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired, I was wary of the direction for the next album. Never Hungover Again is doubly a success; not only is it an excellent record, but it also stands tall with a different identity than Joyce Manor. "Schley" starts out slower and then gradually builds on the skeletal beginnings of drums and vocals until the explosive last thirty seconds, while "End of the Summer" begins with an angular lead guitar that gives way to the audible bass that dominates most of the album.

The construction of the songs on Never Hungover Again is a bit like a sampler platter, as it displays the gamut of everything that Joyce Manor can do, and it does so in less than twenty minutes. For a genre that can seem so one-dimensional at times, Joyce Manor expertly inject just enough influences to sound completely different than any other band in the genre. "Heart Tattoo" shows the heart-on-sleeve, upbeat pop punk side to them, but the closer "Heated Swimming Pool" leans more toward emo tendencies with jangling guitars and a more subdued approach. The vocals of Barry Johnson are endlessly listenable here, as he goes from a plaintive yearning to a passionate yell within seconds naturally. The short lengths of songs are both genius and frustrating at the same time; while the melodies never overstay their welcome and seem perfectly formulated, you always end up wanting more. That's obviously a small complaint, especially given the fact that these succinct songs wouldn't sound quite right with a more standard song length. The biggest downfall of Never Hungover Again is that there is a distinct lack of standout songs. On Joyce Manor, you had songs like "Beach Community" and "Famous Friend" that were obvious highlights and helped to give the album a bit more of an identity. Even though this collection of songs lacks musical missteps, it can fly by the listener without making a lasting impression. Having said this, the band is armed with a little more subtlety this time around and it provides fans with the most mature album of Joyce Manor's career, as well as some much-needed redemption.

Mac Miller DELUSIONAL THOMASThe Magic Lightnin' Boys The Magic Lightnin' Boys
Blood Gemini Snow SeasonCaina Setter of Unseen Snares
Ethereal Shroud They Became the Falling AshBiosphere Dropsonde
Lettuce (4)
This album should have been titled, Joyce Manor Learn How to Vary Their Damn Songwriting...

December 6th 2014

Loving this so much. Constructive crit is much appreciated.

ScuroFantasma
December 6th 2014

Great review Mark, you're bloody good at your style man. Only recommendation I'd make is splitting this up into two, although
thats just an aesthetic thing. Pos'd hard mate.

Digging: Thy Art Is Murder - Holy War

December 6th 2014

Thanks dude, I appreciate it very much. I will read through and see where I can split it up.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
December 6th 2014

"They have a pretty cut-and-dry songwriting formula yet somehow sound completely original, they are tongue-in-cheek while also
seeming totally sincere, insert next conundrum here" - sentence is kinda run-on-y

"The catchy qualities in their songwriting never rely on being overproduced or saccharine sweet, which is the main draw for punk
bands like them"
- I think your reviews are some of my favourite user reviews on here, but you'd improve a bit if your sentences were more concise.
For example, you could write this ^ as "Though catchy throughout, they never rely on sacharrine lyrics or overproduction - traits
common for similar bands"
- I said the same thing with ~2/3 the word count. If you comb through your review and condense some of your unnecessarily long
sentences, the review should flow better, read better, and feel just as informative while being a shorter read. Can't go wrong with
that IMO
- of course, this can be tricky especially when you're using a casual style, so I guess find a balance...

-another example "For a genre that can seem so one-dimensional at times" could be "for a typically one-dimensional genre," - same
thing, like 1/2 the words

JohnnyOnTheSpot
December 6th 2014

my edits aren't necessarily great examples of how to reword things, but still

Other than that, solid review and I agree with it. Pos

December 6th 2014

Thanks man, it definitely means a ton coning from you. I will definitely try to condense this later on today, my biggest issue is being too verbose with my sentences. It's a hard habit to break, but I just need to make a more conscious effort.

Tunaboy45
December 6th 2014

Great review Mark, your reviews are consistently well written.

Digging: Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic

December 6th 2014

Thanks Tuna, appreciate it man!

SputnikSweetheart
December 7th 2014

lol this band

chesse13
December 7th 2014

maybe i should check

December 9th 2014

20757 Comments

nice review man. I need to give this another spin haven't jammed it in several months

Digging: The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies

December 9th 2014

Chesse, pls check.

Thanks Atari! It's good stuff, I love Joyce Manor.

Slut
April 5th 2015

Heart tattoo rocks

Manning119
May 12th 2015

Wasn't into this album at first compared to S/T, but it's grown on me a lot in the last few months and now I love it. Good addition but almost a year later and 20 minutes long I just want more Joyce manor music.

chesse13
June 24th 2015

U can be yr own dad

July 3rd 2015

having those serious teenage romance feels to this woooooooooo angst

LivingThrowaway
July 4th 2015

Never been that big a fan of Joyce manor.... Dunno why, I should love this in theory. I just don't though.

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - E MO TION

how old r u

LivingThrowaway
July 4th 2015

Turning 18 in a couple of weeks.

July 4th 2015

hmmmmm that's weird u rly should love this I don't know what to tell u