Johnny Truant
The Repercussions of a Badly Planned Suicide

by Aaron Chidwick CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
December 1st, 2014 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A promising debut from one of the UK metalcore scene's underrated gems.

By the time that Johnny Truant unexpectedly disbanded back in 2008, the following they had generated over the course of only 6 years and 3 albums was a loyal one; not a large number by any means, but one that was left feeling that they'd be unlikely to hear anything like them again. For many, their first exposure to the band was their first full length, the spectacularly titled 'The Repercussions of a Badly Planned Suicide'; a diverse, promising entry into the blooming UK metalcore scene of the early 2000s.

The first thing notable about the album is its immediacy; there's no minute long introduction track (most likely entitled Intro) to break the listener in or soft guitar build up. Instead, 'I Am The Primitologist Mr Robert Sarposky' begins with Olly Mitchell's vicious screaming, which proves to be the primary vocal style used across the record, and a riff that although not groundbreaking is an accessible start to an album that undulates in intensity across its running length. Although Mitchell's range isn't huge, his vocals sound vitriolic when screaming and surprisingly good on 'Seven Days At Knife Point' when he chooses to sing (although other occasions when clean vocals are used can be somewhat less successful).

As to be expected, dissonance has a large role to play in enhancing the aggressive atmosphere being promoted here - what's interesting on 'The Repercussions of...' is that a lot of the dissonance is created in the low end as well as through the more common medium of panic chords. Indeed, many of the riffs on display are monstrous, and varied enough that there are few genuinely boring parts of the album - impressive considering an average track length of over 7 minutes. The phaser is also used a surprising amount here, particularly on the quieter sections of the albums - this ensures that the sound remains unsettling when the distortion isn't cranked up.

What this album suffers from however is its lack of uniformity and flow. Puparia for example is an instrumental track nudging 10 minutes in length which would sound much more at home on a Rosetta album than here, which for the most part operates by placing the onus on being angry as opposed to atmospheric. Although none of the tracks on this album are in any way bad (aside from sporadic off-key clean vocals) there are parts in all tracks which either seem to momentarily break from the primary aesthetic or stretch on for more than they should (the ending of Subtracting the Apex is a good example of both of these).

In short, this was a very promising first release for Johnny Truant that went some to establishing the aforementioned fanbase within the metalcore community. Although it was apparent that they had some work to do at writing flowing tracks, the ability they had to make something potentially brilliant showed in spades across its running length, and led them to become another underrated but brilliant example of early 21st century UK metalcore.

Dodecahedron KwintessensTarsius Tarsier Ceremonia de Atadura de Manos
esazlesa Společnost psůUngfell Tôtbringære
Scuba Death The Worm at the CoreLonefront Cimilada Qaxootiga

November 30th 2014

I just mentioned in the library thread that i was gonna rev this, wont bother now youve done it

Posd, good review man

Digging: Combatwoundedveteran - I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

November 30th 2014

Haha, I said I was gonna do this about a month back and then... forgot. Thanks, appreciate it

wwf

Nice they're named after House of Leaves

Digging: A Bunny's Caravan - Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures

DanielNightLewis
November 30th 2014

Loved this when it first came out. 7 Days is amazing!

ComeToDaddy
December 1st 2014

Nice review man, pos'd. I've never checked out their albums outside of 'In the Library of Horrific Events', but you sold this pretty well. Erratic metalcore is really divisive and hard to write about

December 1st 2014

Without repeating yourself it is, yeah! Tbh, although I made a comment about it in the review Puparia is probably one of my favourites on here, but then I know I'm a bit of a post-metal fanboy so I was likely to.

I think I prefer 'In the Library...' but only just. Thanks for the pos btw!

Judio!
December 1st 2014

Cool review dude, have a pos

wacknizzle
December 1st 2014

Nice job, bout time this got a review as well as time for me to revisit it

Digging: Sunlight's Bane - The Blackest Volume: Like All The Earth Was Buried

Thanks to you both!

Confessed2005
February 22nd 2015

Album is more than decent. As is the review, pos'd.

Digging: Converge - Jane Live

February 22nd 2015

yeah this has some killer riffs

great album artwork aswell

July 15th 2016

man revisiting this it is better than i remember some real tight riffs on here

the production is just a bit naff

July 15th 2016

Yeah man, if they gave this a remaster or something it would be pretty fucking awesome. Obviously that'll never happen, but that's not the point.

Christ, it's weird reading older reviews :L

July 15th 2016

yeah i know right i hate looking at my old reviews

this is a good review tho

December 26th 2016

damn, whats with the low average.

Digging: Indian - Guiltless

Relinquished

not low at all lol

Yeah not that low

Got to give this a relisten soon, cant remember much of it

December 26th 2016

3.5 is low for this, its some pretty amazing shit. thinking of bumping it up.

December 26th 2016

you seem to be going on a pretty decent metalcore binge at the moment, i approve

m/ cant stop.