Today Is the Day
Today Is The Day

by Supercoolguy64 USER (25 Reviews)
October 13th, 2014 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Textured, atmospheric noise rock that's not for the faint of heart

Let’s be honest: to call a band or album “disturbing” or “scary” is, well, dumb. Calling a piece of music scary just makes it sound like you’re trying to hype it up more than it really needs to be. However, there are some exceptions from time to time. Every once in a while, you hear something that legitimately frightens you. For me, it’s Today Is the Day.

After listening to their 1996 self-titled effort, I’ve come to the conclusion that their front man, Steve Austin, must have some serious issues. The music on this album is oddly textured; Instead of your typical guitar, bass, and drums set-up, Today Is the Day features screeching guitars, synthesizers, drums, and some of the most hair-raising vocals imaginable. As mentioned, this album features synthesizers, and they add real spice to the album, adding strange samples and haunting leads to almost every track. They add real atmosphere to the record, but, as great as they are, the synthesizers are not the most fascinating aspect of the album. That credit instead belongs to the vocals.

Austin is an alarming person based on his performance alone. Most of the time, he simply screeches like a dying animal, other times he coats the instruments with a ghostly howl. If the vocals don’t frighten you, the actual lyrics will. The lyrics on the album sound like they were written by a man who’s in the process of mental deterioration. The slow chanting of “Everyone is against you” on “Realization” starts out quietly and slowly builds up, giving the listener a real sense of paranoia, and “I smell sex!” from “She is in Fear of Death” is nothing short of crazy. The only real issue this album has is the use of filler tracks here and there. The most notable being the 25 second “I Love My Woman”, which basically acts as an introduction to “Dot Matrix”. There’s simply no point into having it as it’s own separate track.

Today Is the Day is a troubling album, one that details the life of a mentally-ill man with the use of atmospheric synths, ear-scratching vocals and mind-bending lyrics. Today Is the Day perfectly use their talents to create a record that can strike fear into the hearts of many, definitely not recommended for the faint of heart.

Unsane Amrep ChristmasNo Trend Teen Love
Basic Channel Quadrant DubPg. 99 Document #14: Singles
Unsane UnsaneTrapt Trapt

Supercoolguy64
October 13th 2014

feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Digging: Kid606 - Don't Sweat The Technics

BMDrummer

gotta check these guys

Supercoolguy64

album's so good i jammed it 3 times in a row

BMDrummer
October 13th 2014

come talk about the minutemen with me plz

ScuroFantasma
October 13th 2014

solid review, a few things here and there that i'd change or thing i think could be clearer but I won't point them out unless you want me to. Overall though it's good review, band is great too although i'm not very familiar with them yet.

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

JohnnyOnTheSpot

1964 Comments

feels a bit rushed, but good review man. the album needed one

Digging: Leonardo Rosado - Adrift

GhettoHmbrglr
October 13th 2014

need to check this one out. saw these guys last week and seeing them again tomorrow. they are legitimately terrifying.