Phish
Live Phish 08

by beachbum18 USER (3 Reviews)
April 24th, 2006 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

This is Phish's 8th live cd in the Live Phish series, and what can I say, its great, like all of them. This show is at the "E" Centre in Camden, Jersey, July 10th, 99'. Not the greatest show from the series, but still a great listen. Well, now for the details.

Disc 1

1. Wilson - The show starts off with Wilson, a song from the gamehenge series. This wouldnt be the song to start off a show IMO, but its still a good tune. Has nice guitar solos throughout the song of course, great drums, Fishman really gets into it, Mike does a great job, and Page, as always, has killer piano lines throughout the song. This goes on for a short 7 minute jam (thats pretty short for Phish) and then they bring it on home starting immediatley into CDT. Overall, this is an ok song, the best from this show though.

2. Chalk Dust Torture - Phish plays Chalk Dust Torture in many of their shows its not even funny, but this one is a little different. It starts off pretty normaly, with the great rhythm from Trey, and everything else. They play the normal song structure, and after that it goes into a great jam. At some parts, you cant even tell its CDT, as it has some very laid back and peaceful moments. Trey and Page do a real good job together, its hard to explain, its just amazing. The jam goes on for about 14 minutes, and softly switches into Roggae.

3. Roggae - This is probably my least favorite song on Disc 1, I just find it quite boring coming right after the great CDT, buts its still pretty good. Its a good break after a big long jam, but this song is still ok. Has some very peaceful guitar playing. You can listen to it and see what you think.

4. Water in the Sky - This is my favorite on Disc 1, maybe even this whole show. I love it when Phish plays bluegrass, but this song is different from their other bluegrass songs. Its more laid back and the piano and guitar flow so well together, with Fishman doing a great job on the drums. This is a great tune, it will really cheer you up. It goes into a nice semi-jam with Trey soloing throughout it. It's amazing, really.

5. Back at the Chicken Shack - This is a song by Jimmy Smith, a great blues artist. Phish plays it with great skill, ecspecially Page, who has some nice piano lines, with Trey coming right after him with great little solos. This is song is an interesting cover, but really good.

6. Sparkle - I really get tired of hearing this song on the live albums, seems like its on every one. Seems like a filler track to me, but thats my opinion, you may think otherwise.

7. Bathtub Gin - This is great song live or studio. Its so different from all of their other songs, Split Open and Melt is the only song that I can think of thats close. Its really good, and has great vocals. The main riff is so great, you can easily reconize it, and Trey plays it real nicely. It has a nice jam at the end, overall this is a great song, great music from all the guys in this one.

8. Golgi Apparatus - I like this song alot. They really used their imagine on this one, and its really good live. The guitar and piano go real well together like every other song. The memorable lines "I saw you with a ticket stub in your hand" will be stuck in your head all day. Ah, what a great song. It goes into a real smooth, jazz like jam. It's a great end to Disc 1

Now to Disc 2...

1. Tweezer - Who doesnt love Tweezer? This song is amazing, ecspecially this show. They go into a nice jam early on in the song, and the rest is history. Slap bass throughout the song, great job Mike. Great piano work from Page, drums are average, and guitar is good as always. AWESOME piano outro by Page. Its amazing, so peaceful and really long, its great. Flows right into Mountains in the Mist.

2. Mountains in the Mist - This song has a nice feel to it, very peaceful. The vocals are a little too echoey, and it gets real annoying and distracts you from the rest of the music. Theres nothing really good to mention about this track. Pretty good piano work by Page, thats about it.

3. Birds of a Feather - This is one of my favorite Phish songs, and its great at this show. Starts off as usual, with the guitar and the really good slap bass, and goes into the normal structure of the song. The chorus is great "Birds of a feather, are flocking outside" sung in unison by all the members. The organ adds a nice effect in the verses. The guitar solo is great, making the song really long, but thats a good thing.

4. When the Circus Comes - A song by Los Lobos, which I am not a great fan of, but Phish can make anything good. Great piano work by Page, the vocals are also pretty good. Bass is great, good job Mike. Goes into a great jam with awesome guitar thats just amazing. Great song, great jam, great music from everyone. One of the better songs from this show, definitely.

5. Fluffhead - I love Fluffhead. This was one of Treys first songs that he wrote, so its pretty rough. Has real nice guitar work. The singing is the rough part, IMO. Its really weird, but the instruments are really good. This song doesnt make any sense at all, but the jam is awesome. Reminds me of something you would hear in a nice resturaunt. This is great jam.

6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - I think everyone has heard this song, George Harrison wrote if for Gods sake, haha. This song is awesome, great, great guitar. Trey executes the high notes nicely, as with the rest of the vocals. The instruments are all great, as is the whole song. Nice guitar solo, that carries out the song pretty long. Overall this is a great cover song, like all of Phish's covers.

7. Tweezer Reprise - I love Reprise. Its really cool, and a great way to end the entire show. Starts off with the guitar and piano a cool little riff, and when the bass and drums come in, its just awesome, really. No vocals, just a great end of session like jam. If you listen closely, you can hear the bass soloing near the end, its awesome. I love this song.

Overall, this show is great. Not quite up to par with some of their earlier year shows, this on still provides a great listen and some unforgetable jams. I highly recommend it!

Thanks!

Iluvatar
April 24th 2006

You still need to work on grammar just a tad, but most of the songs had good detail. Where's the album art, though?

Thor
April 24th 2006

Thor comes to save the day yet again and add some album art...

April 24th 2006

wait, how do you add album art

April 24th 2006

alright thanks both of you

Zebra
April 24th 2006

The only Phish album I still listen to is Junta. 'David Bowie' is such an awesome song.
Pretty good job on the review. Some of your track descriptions were a little vague and you used a lot of non descriptive words like "great" and "cool."

April 24th 2006

yeah Junta is great, probably my favorite studio album of theirs. Lawn boy is really good too. and about the words, thats totally my fault haha it was alot to type and i got a little retarded

phishphan523
July 17th 2006

I have this show... and its not the greatest. Alot of parts its really boring, and they didnt have too many good songs here. not a good show for someone whos just getting into phish