Godflesh
A World Lit Only By Fire

by I am TheMoreira for we are many. USER (14 Reviews)
October 1st, 2014 | 12 replies

Release Date: 10/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Godflesh are back and prove that ageing is sometimes a good thing.

Drill into the proverbial core they do. All different strands of the band's DNA can be traced throughout A World Only Lit By Fire yet they display a far more controlled and nuanced use of those past conventions. From the careful and varied application of Pure-esque guitar feedback throughout to the occasional use of dub elements and the return of Streetcleaner-esque distorted vocals, it's a trip down memory lane that almost never feels rehashed or pointless but fresh and inventive. The production is also bang on, containing just the right amount of grit and finesse as well as Ben Green's bass work with it's subtle little shifts and mutes that add so much to the music while being seemingly innocuous.

The most impressive part of this album, and the best evidence of how much care was put into this album, is how complete the songwriting is at it's best. There are no grooves for grooves sake instead interlocking into alien melodies. These melodies sound at time appropriately militaristic but at others warped and mocking, like pop songs filtered through a lens of self-reflexive bitterness. Compile that with every other little detail and you have some of the purist outpourings of rage that the band has ever put out because of the added emotional depth. Godflesh's anger is still there but time has given it more definition and more angles.

A World Only Lit By Fire then showcases a very particular stage in Broaderick and Green's lives through the careful balance of the past with hindsight. Time and hardships have helped create a very aged misanthropic view that is spewed both on the world at large and their own past works, dissecting them, mocking them and moving on. As much as it's immediately brutal, it's also a slow burner that seethes with this bitterness. Does it make for a consistent album? Not always as some songs feel underdeveloped. Does it make for a good album though? Yes, one that has an incredible amount of longevity and because of that it stands as one of their best.

Choice Cuts:

Gridlock FormlessCompromise Compromise
Black Dog Productions BytesGodflesh Decline & Fall
4.3

Stream it here:

Kind of like how this one came out but I'll leave it up to you guys. Album slays, particularly the last two tracks. Con crit welcome.

HenchmanOfSanta
October 1st 2014

Definitely the best of this year's comeback albums.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

DominionMM1
October 1st 2014

sweet. will listen when i get home.

BMDrummer
October 1st 2014

gonna wait til the official release date, but this is gonna rule so hard as always

Digging: Shellac - Dude Incredible

emester

pm tied with pure as my 3rd fave flesh atm

Digging: Krieg - Transient

evilford
October 1st 2014

nice rev, props, gotta listen

Digging: Burial (NL) - Relinquished Souls

JohnnyOnTheSpot

aging*

anyway, decent review though you obviously could've spent a lot more time on it. First paragraph doesn't make sense
"Godflesh's latest album is something of a nostalgic conundrum; for a band that has such a varied back catalogue at what point do they start from? If Decline and Fall was any indication, everywhere yet nowhere at the same time, instead drilling down into the core with minute precision."
I honestly have no clue what any of this is trying to say. Might be my own fault though(or I'm looking harder into than I need to, idk)

Conclusion is kinda iffy to:
"Does it make for a good album though? Yes, one that has an incredible amount of longevity and because of that it stands as one of their best."
Aside from being pretty generic, how can you honestly claim this album has longevity when it just started streaming a couple days ago?

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

DarkNoctus

this album is sweeeeet

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

October 1st 2014

Intro needs some work but the long and the tall of it is basically saying that the band is going to hone down on what it knows. It could be construed as playing it safe but honestly that's not what it feels like to me heh.

Mainly base it's longevity on the fact that it's very well thought out, well structured and nuanced. Weird comparison but I think of The Mantle due to the fact it's got all these little details that kind of add up to make a really long lasting impression like said album and that's the feeling I got with this one. Just a personal impression but that's how I see it I guess.

And I'm pretty sure I spelt ageing right.

Thanks for the help anyway.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
October 1st 2014

Apparently ageing is a non-American spelling... My bad

Anyway, I guess I meant that claiming an album will have longevity is too bold a claim to make for an album that literally just started stream (and hadn't even actually been released). Wasn't trying to shit on your review, just offering thoughts for consideration

October 1st 2014

That's fine dude, I didn't take it as that anyway. I do stand by what I say in terms of how I feel about it's longevity due to the thought put into it but I can see where you're coming from with it.

rules, gd jb nig