Vanessa Rossetto
Whole Stories

by Tristan Jones USER (47 Reviews)
September 27th, 2014 | 21 replies

Release Date: 06/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Even chamber musicians drive to the mall.

There’s music everywhere.

This statement is a little banal, isn’t it? It’s almost a platitude, like claiming 'it is what it is', or 'patience is a virtue'. Whenever someone insists every sound around us is beautiful in its own special way, we tend to dismiss it. Whether or not you consider it nonsense, or are just too disinterested to acknowledge its significance, there is something exceptional about rearranging everyday noises into an art form surpassing my - or anyone’s - ability to verbalize it. There is such a vast resource of sound in the world (no shit, I know), so it’s inevitable that various composers are intent on exploring it and creating something dynamic and engaging, while beckoning infinite interpretations.

Whole Stories is aptly named… maybe. The album is certainly dynamic and largely narrative, but encapsulates the feeling of coming and going amidst a bustling environment in a way that never feels truly concluded. Vanessa Rossetto basks in her surroundings, and rejoices in the various sounds she's familiar with. While commonplace for musicians to create something detached from the seemingly mundane, they are still trapped in routine. Many of us tend to be willfully oblivious, but composers who delve in field recordings tend to pursue the various oddities around us - car noises, wind chimes, whatever, anything on the planet - and unlock any hidden potential they can identify. Rossetto’s approach on Whole Stories is unconventional in this sense. Whereas similar composers tend to record in a precise manner, narrowing in on a sound of their choosing, Rossetto opts for a more passive approach. “This Is a Recorder” was allegedly recorded during a weekend trip to Mardi Gras - though ultimately condensed to 20 minutes - and serves as a surprisingly evocative take on the environment. For example, around the 13-minute mark she utilizes the distant rumbling of a train to create an ominous buildup that is borderline terrifying, but gorgeous in how it assembles a sinister monolith before collapsing instantaneously amidst the sound of sloshing water. It is displaced by city noises and idle chitchat, which alludes to the triviality of everyday fears brought on by nothing more than our own imagination. There is an oddly humourous excerpt near the end of this track where Rossetto drunkenly explains to a stranger what she does. It sounds like nonsense when she insists "I’m a composer" and explains her creative process, while her companion humours her, claiming "hmm, that’s interesting." She certainly implies music is everywhere, but it’s unlikely her claim struck any chords with her listener at that particular time. There’s irony here, somewhere.

Without dragging on, elaborating on every possible nuance present on Whole Stories, it’s still important to note Rossetto’s unique perception. The second track, also 20 minutes, is set in the faint aura of a casino - so faint, it took me several listens to realize the location - and features an absurdly vast arrangement of noises requiring multiple listens, yielding varying results. This is the essence of Whole Stories. It is demanding. It demands willingness to embrace the mundane, and seek reward in the most unlikely of places. It revels in its surroundings, yet easily serves as a gateway to reverie.

There’s music everywhere. Live a little.

Jamesreindeer Al JalloumJon Brooks Shapwick
Snowday As We TravelThe Blunder of a Horse Mystery Manta
Ariel Pink Pom PomVladislav Delay Visa

September 27th 2014

- the 4 minute excerpt doesn't really do it justice, but I can't find a decent legit stream of this :/ you know what to do though..

summary is a quote from a review of her 'Exotic Exit' album

Gotta give credit to Phlegm for recommending me this initially, as well as giving me a couple ideas for the review

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

ChoccyPhilly
September 27th 2014

Haha no way, this got a review? Good stuff; you definitely describe it well. pos'd

Digging: D'Angelo - Black Messiah

September 27th 2014

thanks man, yeah this was hard as fuck to try and describe and I had to edit/delete a bunch of times but I think it turned out fine. cheers

ExplosiveOranges

Only two songs? Damn.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

it's 40 minutes

ExplosiveOranges
September 27th 2014

Even GYBE had the decency to have at least three songs, man.

ChoccyPhilly
September 27th 2014

You manage to put out reviews so regularly as well. I feel so bad because i've been working on the same one for like 2 weeks.

Bookmark

Havey

AOTY

Digging: Billie Holiday - Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday

bakkermaarten007
September 27th 2014

Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Btw, when were you becoming staff again? (pos)

Let
September 27th 2014

Good review. I didn't really feel the album though.

Digging: SHXCXCHCXSH - Linear S Decoded

September 28th 2014

album of the year, gonna read this as soon as I get home, i l o v e y o u

Digging: Raresh - Fabric 78

September 28th 2014

well done with the review man! i wouldn't know where to start when it comes to describing musique albums like this, so u rock

this is officially now my thread to bump at 2:07 AM four nights a week, sorry Hecker!

ScuroFantasma
September 28th 2014

fantastic review, I'll check this out because you made it sound quite interesting. Pos'd.

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

September 28th 2014

Posed bro your writing is looking quite professional and it flows well.

thanks Cap and everyone :]

October 2nd 2014

////////////////////////////8:20 p.m./////////////////////
the ////// journey ////// started /////// early ///////
t ___ o _____ n _____ i _____ g ____ h ______ t

itchybutthole
October 24th 2014

im digging this a lot wow didnt expect to enjoy it so much tbh pos hard too as well :~)

Digging: Futures - 21st Century Chimney Sweep

Havey
October 24th 2014

November 13th 2014

what is that ur holding?