Bolzer
Soma

by Jacquibim STAFF
September 26th, 2014 | 32 replies

Release Date: 08/05/2014 | Tracklist

Having shot to prominence with last year’s Aura, one would assume there to be a full length on Bolzer’s horizon, but the Swiss duo’s enthusiasm for the EP format seems to be paying dividends regardless of expectations placed on them. Indeed, with Soma’s addition to their catalogue, the band have now released an album’s worth of material that is not only high in quality, but musically and thematically consistent. However, this isn’t to say that Soma is undistinguished within the band’s discography, nor does it mean the songs would benefit from being accompanied with a greater amount of material. Soma is unmistakably a Bolzer record, but just like its predecessor, the compositions found within have a kind of distinctiveness that the brevity of an EP seems to exemplify better than anything else.

The opening track “Steppes” wastes no time in conveying its memo, as Thierry Jones feverishly bellows before divulging into what is arguably the most infectious riff he has ever written for the project. As opposed to the incremental mood building of Aura, Soma is significantly more straightforward, with the songs hinging more on the power of the riffs themselves instead of the complex, nuanced arrangements. Though an approach like this is susceptible to flat lining, Bolzer exude such confidence in themselves and their formula that they still succeed even at their most elementary. “Labyrinthian Graves” may be the longer, slower track of the two here, but it’s still cut from the same cloth in that the riffs take precedence over atmospherics. Jones takes full advantage of the ten strings available to him, playing an even mix of high and low register riffs comprised mostly of tremolo picking and resonant, open chords. The marching rhythms provided by drummer Fabian Wyrsch may not have the same driving force as Jones’ axe work, but is nevertheless complimentary to Soma’s overall sense of vigour and freneticism.

It may bother some people that Bolzer insist on separating works that could coexist with ease on an album, but it’s also apparent that the guys know what works for them. Soma functions beautifully as its own entity, irrespective of its relative lightness in terms of material. Whether the band decide to knuckle down and combine all the facets of their unique sound is a non-factor, because if they can maintain the quality of Soma and its musical kin in future endeavours, then we really have no reason to complain as listeners.

Dark Tranquillity AtomaUlcerate Shrines of Paralysis
Predatory Light Predatory LightMare Cognitum Luminiferous Aether
Blood Incantation StarspawnInfant Annihilator The Elysian Grandeval Galèriarch
Chamberbelain (4)
A Force To Be Reckoned With...

Hero

Aura

fuck to the yes

because octave trems

Voivod

Good review, mindpos.

This slays as much as the previous EP.

Digging: Doomsquad - Total Time

September 26th 2014

Good review - very informative even if in my opinion a little lacking in voice. As primarily an indie/alt/folk fan, how much would this appeal to me?

Digging: Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas

Rail
September 26th 2014

Full length is due in 2015, according to an interview in my friend's zine.

September 26th 2014

Most of the metal I like is very proggy and atmospheric - Agalloch is probably among my favorites.

But like you said it's not very long so maybe I'll give it a quick listen. I'm very bored because I started a night job so now my schedule has shifted that way even on my days off. I've spent the last forty five minutes or so reading every review in the users' section haha.

And I just mean it lacks a certain flair. Something that shows a little personality, humor, or insight. It flows well and is extremely well-written from an objective standpoint which is obviously the goal, just my two cents worth of advice because you clearly have talent. I mentally pos'd for what it's worth : )

September 26th 2014

Yeah it's by no means a criticism (if it came across that way), but more of a suggestion if you feel like
experimenting with your style in the future. I think injecting your personality into your reviews might
make them more memorable, because they're already proficiently done.

ExplosiveOranges
September 26th 2014

Yay, new Jac review! This actually looks like it could be good, so I'll give it a spin soon.

ExplosiveOranges
September 26th 2014

Omg, more than the new Electric Wizard?

Wolfhorde
September 26th 2014

It's Bölzer, Bölzer is always good.

September 26th 2014

Fucking finally this got a review.

Band is Pretty much is my perfect pedigree of death metal

Digging: Bolzer - Hero

Also ITS MOTHERFUCKING BÖLZER

DungeonBoy
September 26th 2014

Aura blew my mind, my expectations for this are of the highest.

Digging: Eloign - Old Yarns

September 26th 2014

As primarily an indie/alt/folk fan, how much would this appeal to me?

September 26th 2014

full length from these guys will wreck shit

AOTY 2015

I dont care what comes out next year, Im sticking to my word

December 28th 2014

funebrarum might top it if they release next year because kahan vocals >>>

Flugmorph
December 28th 2014

i will listen to this RIGHT NOW!

Digging: Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct