Bolzer
Soma

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (56 Reviews)
September 26th, 2014 | 31 replies

Release Date: 08/05/2014 | Tracklist

Having shot to prominence with last year’s Aura, one would assume there to be a full length on Bolzer’s horizon, but the Swiss duo’s enthusiasm for the EP format seems to be paying dividends regardless of expectations placed on them. Indeed, with Soma’s addition to their catalogue, the band have now released an album’s worth of material that is not only high in quality, but musically and thematically consistent. However, this isn’t to say that Soma is undistinguished within the band’s discography, nor does it mean the songs would benefit from being accompanied with a greater amount of material. Soma is unmistakably a Bolzer record, but just like its predecessor, the compositions found within have a kind of distinctiveness that the brevity of an EP seems to exemplify better than anything else.

The opening track “Steppes” wastes no time in conveying its memo, as Thierry Jones feverishly bellows before divulging into what is arguably the most infectious riff he has ever written for the project. As opposed to the incremental mood building of Aura, Soma is significantly more straightforward, with the songs hinging more on the power of the riffs themselves instead of the complex, nuanced arrangements. Though an approach like this is susceptible to flat lining, Bolzer exude such confidence in themselves and their formula that they still succeed even at their most elementary. “Labyrinthian Graves” may be the longer, slower track of the two here, but it’s still cut from the same cloth in that the riffs take precedence over atmospherics. Jones takes full advantage of the ten strings available to him, playing an even mix of high and low register riffs comprised mostly of tremolo picking and resonant, open chords. The marching rhythms provided by drummer Fabian Wyrsch may not have the same driving force as Jones’ axe work, but is nevertheless complimentary to Soma’s overall sense of vigour and freneticism.

It may bother some people that Bolzer insist on separating works that could coexist with ease on an album, but it’s also apparent that the guys know what works for them. Soma functions beautifully as its own entity, irrespective of its relative lightness in terms of material. Whether the band decide to knuckle down and combine all the facets of their unique sound is a non-factor, because if they can maintain the quality of Soma and its musical kin in future endeavours, then we really have no reason to complain as listeners.

Decapitated Blood MantraOpeth Pale Communion

19122 Comments

fuck to the yes

Digging: Bolzer - Soma

September 26th 2014

you're supposed to be studying or smth! also why would you comment on a jaq review

Digging: Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

September 26th 2014

also my shortest review and i verily enjoyed writing it, might do a few more in this vein.

WOW

climactic

19122 Comments

because octave trems

pinched harms?

September 26th 2014

tremolo picked pinch harmonics?

if poissible please provide

uploading demonstration video now @16%

hahahahaha
hilarious

Voivod

Good review, mindpos.

This slays as much as the previous EP.

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

September 26th 2014

Cheers Voivod, and yeah I dig the riff oriented approach here

September 26th 2014

Good review - very informative even if in my opinion a little lacking in voice. As primarily an indie/alt/folk fan, how much would this appeal to me?

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

Thanks man :D

I can imagine you liking it but then again I have no idea what you look for in metal. Still, it's less than
20 minutes long so there's no reason not to check it out.

Not sure what you mean by "voice" tho?

Rail
September 26th 2014

Full length is due in 2015, according to an interview in my friend's zine.

Digging: Phaeleh - A World Without

September 26th 2014

Most of the metal I like is very proggy and atmospheric - Agalloch is probably among my favorites.

But like you said it's not very long so maybe I'll give it a quick listen. I'm very bored because I started a night job so now my schedule has shifted that way even on my days off. I've spent the last forty five minutes or so reading every review in the users' section haha.

And I just mean it lacks a certain flair. Something that shows a little personality, humor, or insight. It flows well and is extremely well-written from an objective standpoint which is obviously the goal, just my two cents worth of advice because you clearly have talent. I mentally pos'd for what it's worth : )

September 26th 2014

Ah true that, I have noticed that a lot of my reviews read sort of "dry" if that makes any sense, .

It might be because I tried specifically to be brief here, so my review was sort of in line with the EP, thanks : )

September 26th 2014

Yeah it's by no means a criticism (if it came across that way), but more of a suggestion if you feel like
experimenting with your style in the future. I think injecting your personality into your reviews might
make them more memorable, because they're already proficiently done.

September 26th 2014

It's all good, I've noticed that since I became contrib that pointers and suggestions have practically vanished, so anything to help me improve is sweet.

I've been trying to be less analytic and more conversational with my later reviews, maybe I'm just too cold ;_;