Goat
Commune

by Benjamin Thortenburger USER (27 Reviews)
September 25th, 2014 | 30 replies

Release Date: 09/23/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Goat finds a sense of direction amidst the chaos

"We've been taught since we were small to have an understanding of not only western bands, but of music from other parts of the world. The title World Music was chosen because we believe we play 'world music', and that's what we think everyone plays. Also, the term 'world music' has some negative vibes – people say it with some form of contempt when they talk about it as a genre, but we think it would be strange for anyone to claim they didn't play world music."

This was how Christian Johansson, one of the three core members of psychedelic group Goat, explained the title of their debut album World Music, which made waves back in 2012 when it released to critical acclaim. While World Music certainly ended up getting a lot of attention for the vast range of musical influences from 70's psychedelic, to European folk, to salsa; some ended up questioning Goat's ability to follow up such an album that covered so much musical ground at once. Surely they have taken every direction they could have possibly taken on their debut and can't really do much to improve, some had reasoned. Now two years have passed and Goat have released their follow up album Commune, and surprisingly, it actually manages to build upon the already vast array of genre influences that made up World Music, yet still just as much feel like a whole record showcasing the band's maturity rather than a collection of unrelated tracks.

Commune, like World Music, is primarily a psychedelic album incorporating instruments and styles from various cultures throughout the globe. That's not to say that Goat is not evolving musically however: aside from the added influences to their already extensive catalogue. The production has become noticeably tighter, and a lot more focus has been put into general atmosphere. This in turn, has cleared some of the noise from their debut. While songs in the first half, like the folk-influenced 'Talk to God' or the ever-groovy 'The Light Within', are strong enough in their own right, it is the second half where Commune really shines. Songs like 'Goatchild' truly manage to steal the show in their sheer Funkadelic induced mayhem, right until the true highlight of the album, a.k.a. 'Gathering of Ancient Tribes', brings Commune to a memorable close.

As a whole, Commune succeeds as a sequel. Not only does it follow what would be expected from a World Music follow up, but it is also an evident showcase for Goat's growth as a band with tighter production and a a sense of focus amidst the many, many, genres that are employed.

Black Pussy Magic MustacheThe Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones
Powder for Pigeons Washed, Dried, Brain FriedMethadone Skies Eclectic Electric
Echo Tail Hold The ThroneAstrokraut Astrokraut

September 24th 2014

Props to Judio and Johnnyonthespot for proofreading this, any and all feedback appreciated!

Digging: Hawk Eyes - Everything Is Fine

September 24th 2014

now that the album's released you can stream it on youtube

LordePots
September 24th 2014

just downloaded this, last ones was dope as shit

Digging: Juxta Phona - We Will Not Be Silence

September 24th 2014

I hope you like it as much as I did

LordePots

probably

Voivod

Good write-up, pos.

The album is streaming here: http://rocketrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/commune

Digging: Trial (SWE) - Vessel

oltnabrick
September 24th 2014

Heard this when it leaked almost two months ago (most sub pop albums this year leaked way early). I think I like the first one more but this is still nice.

Digging: Delhi Escorts - Delhi Escorts

Judio!
September 25th 2014

Review looks a lot better than the first draft, great work! Have a pos.

Digging: The Phonies - Your Body Lost Along the Shore

Mad.
September 25th 2014

This looks awesome, especially that band name.

Great review, pos'd. Perhaps it could have described the music a bit more to fully justify that 4.5

JohnnyOnTheSpot
September 25th 2014

I shoutboxed you a couple grammar nitpicks but aside from that this is well done, pos

Digging: Christopher Hipgrave - No Greater Hero than the Least Plant that Grows

@Voivod thanks, I didn't know that this was on Bandcamp

@Judio agreed

@Mad. you should definitely check this out, you'll dig it

@Johnny thanks man!

September 25th 2014

oh yeah, forgot to post the link to the interview quoted in the review

osmark86

Digging: Mumdance and Logos - Proto

glad you enjoy it

Mad.
September 27th 2014

Why don't y'all apply for a feature on this?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

He did

what Johnny said, I guess the mods just found something more interesting /:

NightProwler
October 12th 2014

Nice review I agree a lot with. I prefer their debut, but as you put it finally in your review:

"but it is also an evident showcase for Goat's growth as a band with tighter production and a a sense of focus amidst the many, many, genres that are employed."

Both the production and red thread throughout the album is incredible, and the grooves are to die for. It doesn't have as many ... well, weird ... sounding elements and instruments here and there, as World Music did, but cohesively, it's amazing.