Soundtrack (Anime)
Code Geass R2 OST #2

by Dalton DuBois USER (29 Reviews)
September 20th, 2014 | 70 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A haunting and grandiose backdrop to Lelouch’s reformation of Britannia.

Code Geass / Code Geass R2 is a two part 50 episode anime that originally ran over the course of two years, 2006 to 2008; it revolves around a prince named “Lelouch” who aims to destroy his own country and liberate the nation of Japan (now christened “Area 11”) from its clutches. During that two year time frame it managed to gain millions of fans, who were all drawn to the deep political story, the well developed characters, the moral quandaries presented throughout and the teeth grinding tension that seemed to creep into every intense moment of the series. An anime with such a compelling premise surely would have a soundtrack to fit Lelouch’s rise to power? Luckily it does, the Code Geass R2 soundtrack is a massive composition with plenty of variation and emotional impact to propel the series along in its finest moments.

This soundtrack utilizes an abundance of horns throughout its run-time and they’re used to great effect; whether they’re at the forefront to build up momentum such as in “Overwriting”, or if they’re being used to support the other instrumentals in songs like “Showdown” they play a heavy role in a good portion of the songs, fluctuating in tone, intensity and pitch admirably. The cello and violin are the other two big contenders here, helping to craft some of the album’s more somber moments. The combination of the three instruments form the backbone of this soundtrack, all while being supported by a solid drum line more than capable of keeping the pace up.

That’s not to say that only those sounds dominate the album, there’s a wide variety of offerings here. There are Spanish-influenced guitar licks and fleeting dashes of piano on songs such as “Sub-Chairmen.” There’s even some electronic work with enough distortion mixed on to the point where they almost sound like guitar riffs in tracks such as “Guren.” Various other elements are incorporated into the mix as well such as booming vocal choirs, soft female backing vocal lines and even some bongos here and there. Throughout every little electronic trinket, string strum and horn blow there’s an ambiance established that fits perfectly with scenes in the anime; Lelouch would be proud to have this soundtrack backing him as he gained support amongs the Japanese for the liberation of their nation and the eradication of Britannia.

Blood on the Dance Floor Blood UnpluggedMatty Mullins Matty Mullins
Celldweller End of an Empire - Chapter 01: TimeSoundtrack (Film) Transformers - Age of Extinction
Black Veil Brides We Stitch These WoundsMartin O'Donnell Halo 3: ODST OST

September 19th 2014

For my 25th review, I decided to review a soundtrack for the first time.
My favorite anime's soundtrack needed a review.

You can stream the soundtrack here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMIDaS3XDe0&index=31&list=UUm3zFP32G2KTUrg9tj4XflQ

JohnnyOnTheSpot
September 19th 2014

a snide review that isn't a novelette? pos

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

September 19th 2014

@Johnny: Man, I haven't written THAT many concept reviews xD. Thanks for the pos!

September 20th 2014

Isn't the character on the cover Verm?

September 20th 2014

The character on the cover is Lelouch vi Britannia (or Lelouch Lamperouge his disguised name), but yeah Verm used to have a lot of Lelouch avatars when he was still on the site.

He will always return

September 20th 2014

He asked the mods to give him another chance and if he was banned again he wouldn't return, so far it's been around two weeks I think since we've seen Verm after that account got banned and he hasn't come back to Sput.

September 20th 2014

Give him time and he will

September 20th 2014

I hope he gets his temper under control, he can be a really cool guy when he's not going off on his (honestly pretty damn funny) rants.

free my boi Verm

Digging: Sputnik - Christmas At Our House

September 20th 2014

haha thank fucking god. figures the worst user on the site is friends with him.

Digging: The Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave

fuck u

September 20th 2014

ouch, Futures, there was some salt in those words.

not you bird love u

I know it wasn't me.

Love you too bae

September 20th 2014

Futures coming to de-rail another one of my review threads. What a surprise.

September 20th 2014

you're right someone who says "im homophobic as fuck i will end your life" is a great dude

September 20th 2014

hmm not a very informative review I still have no idea who composed the goddamn thing

September 20th 2014

"im homophobic as fuck i will end your life"

September 20th 2014

yeah great dude fallen lmao