Dead Meadow
Shivering King and Others

by SheriffOfHongKong USER (2 Reviews)
September 9th, 2014 | 6 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dead Meadow's Shivering King and Others is one of the best records in a very crowded genre. Psychedelia at its finest.

Dead Meadow is an American stoner rock band that formed in Washington, D.C. in 1998. Currently comprising of vocalist and guitarist Jason Simon, bassist Steve Kille and drummer Mark Laughlin, the band has released five studio albums. In 2003, Dead Meadow released their ultimate masterpiece.

Shivering King & Others is DM's 3rd album. The unique thing about the record is how it blends the sounds of their first 2 records perfectly. This album steps it up a notch because of its amazing variety. You have the heavy songs like I love You Too and Good Moanin', then you have some amazing slow psychedelic tracks (Everything's Going On, Golden Cloud, Shivering King, and one of their most popular tracks Heaven.) The album never gets boring, and the music has so many different textures. The debut and Howls From The Hills are both fantastic records, but they pale in comparison to the absolute beauty of Shivering King & Others. The quality here is simply untouchable.

I am a huge fan of Psychedelic Rock so maybe I am a little biased, but many of these tunes are absolutely beautiful and send shivers up my spine. Listen to Shivering King and tell me that doesn't give you chills. This is the perfect album to fall asleep to, as it will fill you with absolute peace. The songs are best experienced with a good pair of headphones. This is highly recommended for fans of mellow Psychedelia like Colour Haze and The Machine.

Bottom line: Buy this today! It is available from Amazon at a very reasonable price. Get yourself a good pair of headphones and let the hypnotic power of Shiver King & Others take you on a journey to audio heaven.