Death From Above 1979
The Physical World

by brandaao USER (5 Reviews)
September 8th, 2014 | 48 replies | 5,656 views

Release Date: 09/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fact: This is one of the best albums I've heard so far in 2014

Since 2004 I’ve been incessantly searching for new bands, new sounds, but, somehow, i’ve never heard about Death From Above 1979 before. It’s actually quite amusing that I stumbled before their work right after becoming impressed with Royal Blood’s recently released debut and realising how much a bass-drum duo was not just actually feasible, but had potential for some really impressive and captivating stuff.

The main difference between Royal Blood’s and Death From Above 1979’s sound is that the former has more of a hard rock sound, with heavier cadenced riffs, and the latter is kind of a disco punk, with faster and more direct riffing.

Apparently, DFA1979’s debut is a really cherished album, and, given the fact that it was released ten years ago, expectations were really high for “The Physical World”. I have never listened to their previous record, so, for me, this is an unbiased look on their new material and all I can say is that this is some pretty good stuff. The songs featured in this album are energetic, filled with catchy choruses and attention grabbing riffs. This album is filled with so many great moments that it makes its short length (only 34 minutes) seem even shorter.

Standout tracks are “Right On, Frankenstein!”, which is a track that goes by in a pretty standard manner and then features a great breakdown that catches the listener by surprise; “Crystal Ball” with its heavy and groovy riff makes it impossible for whoever is listening don’t want to move their body and the title track that closes the record in high fashion. “The Physical World” is probably the heaviest between the 11 tracks and features some excellent drum work and great riffing that hits the listener with a wall of sound before breaking down in some Sabbath-like bridge. It’s unexpected, and it’s awesome.

Spotify recommended me these guys based on my music taste and I confess that, mostly out of ignorance, I wasn’t expecting nothing great from them, but I’m glad I was wrong. I’ve been spinning this record a lot in the last few days and I’m pretty sure that when december comes, The Physical World will be featuring one of the top 3 positions in my favorite albums of the year list. This is fun, this is compelling, this is some serious beer chugging and mosh pitting music.

Is this too short?

Please, constructive feedback would be awesome. I'm still learning how to write reviews in English...

ps: album is awesome, everybody should check it out.

BMDrummer

and so it begins

Digging: Earth - Primitive and Deadly

September 8th 2014

would recommend using less verbs in first-person, but it's all fine besides that

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

September 8th 2014

Hey Fripper, I actually wanted to describe my experience and surprise from discovering this album but it
kinda got a little bit repetitive.

Thanks for the feedback though

VheissuCrisis
September 8th 2014

Review is too basic, but if English isn't your first language then props for giving it a go.

An example of where you should be expanding and selling the album more:

"Standout tracks are “Right On, Frankenstein!”, which is a track that goes by in a pretty standard manner and then features a great breakdown that catches the listener by surprise" -- You say its a standout track and then quickly say it mostly goes on in a standard manner, expand on your point on the breakdown or mention other good things about the track, describe it a bit.

"i’ve had never heard about Death From Above 1979 before." Get rid of the had here. I'm not going to neg, but encourage you given that you're still learning, and obviously trying.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
September 8th 2014

Yeah, review is pretty ok. Being a DFA1979 fan already I was hoping for something that would tell me something I didn't already know from listening to their first album...

I mean, if it's their first album in 10 years then you should've done your research and listened to the first one. I get the whole 'unbiased perspective' thing, but obviously people reading this might expect something more.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Sleaper
September 8th 2014

this album bored me to death...was semi disappointed

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

@VheissuCrisis
Thanks for the feedback!
I'll definitely work harder on describing the songs, and the album on my next review.

@JohnnyOnTheSpot
From what I've read about people's 'affection' torwards the first record, my intention to do this one
without listening to the "You're a Woman..." was deliberate. I'm sure there will be other reviews that'll
make comparisons between both albums, so I kinda wanted my one to be different, to appeal to non fans. But
I get what you mean. Thanks for the comment though.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
September 8th 2014

A review can appeal to non-fans without making comparisons to the debut album, I agree. However, the vast majority of the
people excited for this record are already fans of their other LP.

Now, if we assumed that wasn't the case, this review doesn't really make that strong a case for the album. If I wasn't already
interested in the album before reading the review, your description of it would have done nothing to peak my interest.

It's just not a very 'strategic' review on your part. I didn't neg, but I honestly don't know why you chose to review this

September 8th 2014

I get what you're saying. I probably should've realised this review better. I guess I rushed myself into writing it.

I'll take these next few days to improve this review.

Kman418

yeah surprisingly good

Digging: AIDS Wolf - Cities of Glass

September 8th 2014

in agreement with vheissu regarding criticisms, but keep at it man.

i'm glad to hear this is good

clander270
September 8th 2014

Album rules, not as great as their debut though in my opinion

Albus
September 8th 2014

Cheap Talk is basically Romantic Rights Part 2. But dem riffs are still awesome. Also the closer is probably their best song ever.

makrand

Ricochet

nutnik in a sputshell

osmark86
September 9th 2014

so sources tell me this really isn't as impressive as anticipation would have it. are my sources at fault?

Digging: Schammasch - Contradiction

September 9th 2014

it all depends on how high your expectations are. it's best to not to have them abnormally high.