The Mark of Man
Exeunt

by ScuroFantasma USER (34 Reviews)
August 28th, 2014 | 16 replies

Release Date: 08/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death metal with direction.

Fashioned from an outlook that appears to be largely pessimistic, or at the very least strongly cynical of the human race as a whole, Exeunt proves to be an incredibly solid death metal message to the world. Utilising their sophomore release as a vessel of catharsis and purpose, The Mark of Man manage to paint a bleak picture of humanity, spanning several topics that orbit the central idea. An album such as this draws strength from its immediacy, which can largely be attributed to commendable songwriting coupled with proficient musicianship across the board. Guitarist and bassist Christian Humphreys proves to be the band's strongest asset, demonstrating not only a consistently intriguing output on the guitar, but also managing to command the bass effectively even if it is hidden a little too deeply in the mix at times. Underpowered bass is a minor gripe towards the production however, as the remaining spectrum of instruments and vocals shine in pristine quality, retaining enough grit to sustain the grimy atmosphere that partners so well with the subject matter. The frenzied drumming adds another well implemented element to the frenetic attack this album amounts to, with speedy fills advantageously interspersed throughout the album, particularly during the closing moments of ‘Memorandum’. The drummer never falls victim to repetition, and thanks to the effort dedicated to production it’s never obnoxiously overpowering in nature, just brash enough to improve the album to the best of its potential.

Responsibility for the message Exeunt attempts to send can mostly be accredited to the lyrics. For the most part, the lyrical content is standard death metal fare which has been distorted to fit the desires of the band, at least thematically. It is well constructed, however, and oftentimes the word choice does effectively argue The Mark of Man’s point of view in a manner that is far superior to what many of their contemporaries can manage. Choice phrases including; “Fatalist instinct, the silt within the soul”, “With concrete hearts, we hang at the precipice, resigned to become one with the abyss” and “Choking face down in the s*** and swill, and I reflect ‘why should we exist?’” get to the heart of the issues The Mark of Man are attempting to bring attention to, albeit in a genre familiar fashion. Vocalist Ben Read implements a diverse vocal style that moves between screeching to throaty growling, but his harsh vocals remain clear and he enunciates well enough for the lyrics to be intelligible, further catapulting Exeunt’s efficiency in regards to conveying its message. Whether it be the spoken word sound-bite which introduces second track ‘Monolithic’ or the interesting instrumental techniques throughout, there is always something interesting going on that just demands attention from the listener. In the end, Exeunt amounts to a well-constructed and enjoyable death metal album with a specific goal driving it forward. What more could you ask for?

Eluveitie Everything Remains As It Never WasSingle Soul/Depression at Denny's Bedroom Pop Illuminati
Enbilulugugal The End Is Extremely Fucking NighMonolith (CAN) Voyager
Milhouse Everything's Coming Up...Single Soul Songs About Girls
3.3

August 28th 2014

Available on bandcamp for name you price: http://themarkofman.bandcamp.com/

As always, review criticism/comments are welcome.

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

August 28th 2014

"Guitarist and bassist Christian Humphreys proves to be the bands strongest asset, demonstrating not only a consistently intriguing output on the guitar, but also managing to command the bass effectively, even if it is hidden a little too deeply in the mix at times."
-*band's
-I would omit the comma after effectively just because it reads more smoothly to me. Even though it's nitpicky, I just want to give you some feedback because I < 3 your reviews. Nice work, and pos'd hard.

August 28th 2014

Thanks Mark! I've edited both points.

August 28th 2014

Sweet, man! Going for contrib next year?

August 28th 2014

I haven't really thought about it but I'd love to be a contrib so I guess it's worth a shot. How about you?

August 28th 2014

You should, you're a very good writer. I will for sure, nothing to lose if it doesn't happen haha.

August 28th 2014

Cheers (: I think you've probably got the best chance of becoming a contrib with your flawless approval rating, plus I think you've pretty much nailed your reviewing style.

August 28th 2014

Lol thanks man. The approval rating doesn't really count for too much, especially I tend to review things that just don't get too much attention on the site.

August 28th 2014

That's true I suppose, but it must say something to an extent. Either way, I think drawing attention to stuff that not a lot of people know about is a good way to spend reviewing time. It's much more useful than writing the 10th review for the same album imo.

August 28th 2014

Agreed there, man. I think my next three reviews or so are probably going to of albums that I love and ones that have multiple reviews. I am just getting a little burnt out, so I want to inject some passion into them. We will see how it turns out haha.

August 28th 2014

I was originally attracted to your review by the name of this band. It's an interesting name. I took the liberty in checking 'The Craven (EP sample)' off youtube and I really enjoyed it! The vocals and energy of the music really hit me. In fact, listened to that sample 3 times because I liked it so much. I hope the rest of the album is as good. I'll need to, when I get some time, read your review and comment on it.

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

SadAndHolyGlow
August 28th 2014

Hey, great review. Though the two-paragraph format is nice, I feel like a proper introduction would have been best in this case. I'll have to check this album out.

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

ExplosiveOranges
August 28th 2014

Great review as always, Scuro. Might check out this one later.

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

August 28th 2014

@Captain yeah the EP is pretty consitent in terms of quality, check Lament next, it's one of my favourites.

@Glow, thanks man, perhaps I could have introduced the review better. Something to think about for next time, thanks for the feedback.

@Explo, I think you'd really enjoy this one actually, and thanks!

August 30th 2014

Sweet review. Pos'd. Only feedback would be to maybe in the future split a length of these two paragraphs into 3 so it's more palatable. Other than that great job. Checked Lament. Pounds pretty hard and I like emotion the latter half of the atmosphere brings.

August 31st 2014

Glad you liked the album Cap, and thanks for the feedback!