Explosions in the Sky
The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place

by Rice303 USER (12 Reviews)
August 28th, 2014 | 22 replies | 782 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is not a cold dead album… When you are focusing

Something that will always astound me to this day is how easily one piece of music can move one person with ease while another person can listen to the same piece and find it dull or crappy. While it’s all to a matter of taste it seems there’s that one song or album that you can’t see another person ever hating. That is, until you find someone that does. It just so happens that a long while ago I told one of my friends about this very album, telling her that Explosions in the Sky don’t have a vocalist, to which she replied ‘What do you mean, how can a band not have a singer?’ This is something I find both interesting and annoying, for without backing members to a vocalist there is no band and that just proves how little attention some backing members gain both in and out of the mainstream world. But regardless of all the background about how I’ve come to learn more about music through this band, the truth is Explosions in the Sky wouldn't be the same with a singer, the soundscapes and atmosphere shown on this album are simply indulgent and manage to bring about a sense of place, even when one is confused. If there’s one thing I’ve come to learn from this album it’s that listening to it is all about focus, for without any focus, this could easily be considered a cold, dead album due to its simplicity. But when one decides to focus on the music, nostalgia can easily take over.

It seems to me that the album’s cover is a statement about the world too. Because taking parts of the world in without much focus causes you to forget just how good parts of it are. The wind, the feeling of grass blades against your feet, the waves crashing on the shore of an abandoned beach amongst a beautiful sunset. The times you spent simply looking up at the stars, realizing just how small you are compared to everything else in the entire world. You see, when we get caught up in our own troubles, our own dilemmas, we often forget just how lucky we are to be able to feel, see, touch and think. While it’s a stretch, the small quote that’s sneakily placed on the album cover (somewhere inside) that states ‘Because you're listening’ is really just making a statement about the themes the band attempted to express on this album. First breath after Coma for example, with its instant guitar note being played over and over, begins to shape a sound literally based around a person waking up from a deep sleep and taking in everything that surrounds them. But it can also refer to a near-death experience and having the realization afterwards that you’re really lucky to have survived. All of the songs present one major theme, but can be interpreted in so many different ways because of their lack of vocals. There is nothing to really dissect, there’s no reason for you to dig deep and attempt to figure out exactly what the band is trying to say through the music for it'll cause you to lose interest in the effects the album has. The best way to listen to this album is to simply lie on your bed, preferably a night you have thoughts running through your head and simply let the music direct your thinking. You never know, you might end up crying on your bed thinking about how easily you’ve let the world slip by you.

The world has never really been a cold dead place, but without focus, it seems a lot like one.

Armor For Sleep What To Do When You Are DeadAdema Adema
Throwdown IntoleranceChaos Divine Avalon
Eye Empire EvolveSaviour First Light To My Death Bed
4.2

Friday13th
August 28th 2014

Not really a fan, though I can see myself crying while listening to this album. I'd be thinking "This is what I've sunk to. Now I have to search my soul just to find a reason to listen to this junk." haha anyways, this probably should have been condensed into a soundoff.

Digging: Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Solar Fire

MagmaWalrus
August 28th 2014

Great review. I agree that this is a much more memorable and captivating listen if you pay close attention (like most post-rock)

itchybuttwhore

niceee pos haaaard

Digging: D. Tiffany - S/T

thelastsignal
August 28th 2014

"Something that will always astound me to this day is how easily music one piece of music can move one person with ease while another person can listen to the same piece and find it dull or crappy."

Remove the 'music' after easily. Also make sure to put song titles in quotes for reviews, or just something to separate them from the regular text of the review.

Not a bad review, just seems like you are still finding your voice. Pos.

DrGonzo1937
August 28th 2014

Good review, but I never found anything special with this album.

AmericanFlagAsh
August 28th 2014

Lovely album. My first experiment into music without vocals and I'm all for it now.

Good review.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

paradox1216
August 28th 2014

Such an emotional album, and it is definitely easy to miss what's going on if you don't give it a close listen, which can be especially hard given the genre.

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

YakNips

yea great review

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

amanwithahammer
August 28th 2014

To me Take Care is still their best, I'll have to give this another listen some time and look for whatever it is that makes everyone love it so much

Rhyme

awful album

Digging: Banks - Goddess

YakNips

i will fight u

Xar
August 28th 2014

"The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place"

agreed but the moon is a dead world

Digging: The Weeknd - House of Balloons

Rhyme
August 28th 2014

this type of post rock does absolutely nothing for me

DrGonzo1937
August 29th 2014

It does for me if it's done right

demigod!

all of a sudden i miss everyone is SOO MUCH BETTER imo

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

fallenbird
August 29th 2014

Listened to this once and didn't really care for it.

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing

Rice303
August 29th 2014

Thanks for all the feedback and comments, personally, I don't think this could be topped by the band ever. I don't like Take Care as much as this personally, but I have noticed a small minority that finds it their best work.. I guess best I can say is exactly what I said in this review, it's all a matter of taste. This has easily been my most listened post-rock album of all and that includes Godspeed and other ones with vocals

Jasdevi087
August 29th 2014

Review is good, but no way this is even a 4.

Digging: Jinn - Lemmings

Artuma

lmao

Digging: Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires and Helicopters on the Fro

itchybuttwhore
August 29th 2014

transcended hard to this last night