Code Orange
I Am King

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
August 28th, 2014 | 192 replies

Release Date: 09/02/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: nothing new here, move along.

It starts well. I Am King is probably the beast the kids of Orange were afraid to acknowledge under their bed. The downfall, however, started when they focused on that one subject. Let’s congratulate the band for evolving. They are no longer those “kids” their name implied when they first began but they are still children in learning how to sludge. Off the bat, this is a sludge album, which can’t be denied, but it’s a baby’s first step. This is pretty obvious by none of the tracks trying to be different. Every trick, I’m sorry did I say “every”? I meant, the “one” trick they understand about heavy music is used in each song. Songs start loudly, cool, but then nothing else happens, and they try to undercut the issue by having most tracks score a ninety second length. And length seems to be the biggest issue.

Surprisingly, Code Orange excel in trying their hand at longevity. Their lengthier tracks suit them most now as they get to try different sounds in a three minute period, “Starve”, versus the chugging for fifty seconds - every fucking song but three (seriously). However what Code Orange is trying here isn’t despicable. They are in fact trying to be more than what they were, and what they were was typical hardcore for kids in high school. Today’s Orange Kids is more focused on brutality that relishes on dissonance and hammer downs that you’ve already heard before. This is the problem.

You’ve heard this type of sludge before. It’s nothing new. It’s new for the band trying to branch out, yes, but anyone experienced taking this bands new “passion” for the first time will be bored after two songs. Most tracks, “Unclean” until “Starve”, will sound like every heavy-ish song you’ve ever heard before. Which is unfortunate. You can hear the passion. You can feel the need for change, but it’s not up to par with bands that made you listen to the genre in the first place. That may be the biggest crime.

It’s kind of unclear the potential of this band. There are moments of brilliance, but damn, are those moments sparse. “Your Body Is Ready” is the best thing this band has ever done by far, but it takes too long to get there, and in between is nothing but forgetfulness to play interesting music. It’s difficult to determine the potential. Especially if they think this is what sludge is supposed to be. If this was their debut then no faults should be lobbied against ‘em, per se, but it’s undeniable how little they understand the genre they’re trying to tread now.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Pyrrhon The Mother of VirtuesCult Leader Nothing for Us Here
Chevelle La GargolaVales Wilt And Rise
rationalgazelle (4)
Time will tell if they're the kings they say they are, but this record sure as hell doesn't hurt the...

deathschool

Veldin

I like yr review, sir

XingKing
August 28th 2014

I look forward to everyone coming in here and crying about this review

fromtheinside
August 28th 2014

i really loved the first track but nothing else happens on this album

Digging: Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

Funeralopolis

rip punk music x_x

Judio!
August 28th 2014

sweeeeet new fti review! pos'd.

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

ComeToDaddy
August 28th 2014

Nice review man. Album drags hard, but there's some good moments hidden in there. Not really sure how it has a 3.8 average though

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

RosaParks

skippin this

fromtheinside

rosa come jam plz

tommygun
August 28th 2014

HOW CAN A DUDE MAKE SO MUCH FUCKING GOOD REVIEWS. OMG I WANT TO START A RELIGION CALLED SUCK FTI'S DICK! UGH. HOW CAN HE DO THIS...

Judio!

ew

Emim
August 28th 2014

like comment and subscribe please

Pajolero
August 28th 2014

I pretty much expected this after the couple preview tracks they dropped left me mostly unimpressed. Will definitely give the LP a listen though.
Have a pos bro.

Alkemest
August 28th 2014

Album was a bit of a disappointment, I really like the shoegaze influence, but it wasn't enough to offset the lack of energy. Their last album I really enjoyed, especially the grindier elements and speed, but it kind of got dropped on this album.

JaykNekowl
August 28th 2014

I really disagree with this review, I just feel like a band doesn't have to create something completely fucking new to be good and it's not like this is "generic" I feel like this band is just good at what they do, and this review doesn't really mention their experimental side, I know it's not as present as it was in love is love // return to dust but it still shines, I really like this record and I feel like most of the people who rated this low haven't even listened to it.

ShitsofRain

no idea how this band become so super popular out of nowhere

the eps man

Digging: Anthony Shakir - Frictionalism 1994-2009

henryChinaski
August 28th 2014

"Songs start loudly, a great start, but then nothing else happens"

^ this. I really like the heaviness on this, but most of the songs are so monotonous. Nice write-up!

Digging: Empires - Orphan

FourthReich
August 28th 2014

dug the sheets out of their debut, not looking forward to jamming this tho :|