Prawn
Kingfisher

good

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
August 27th, 2014 | 14 replies | 1,375 views

Release Date: 08/12/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Prawn get lost at sea

For better or for worse, Prawn have been one of the more consistent groups in the emo revival scene. Their mixture of The Appleseed Cast-esque post-rock sensibilities and a very mellow pop-punk delivery not unlike Into It. Over It. Prawn have released several several quality releases filled to the brim with mellow, calming, and at times atmospheric vibes. However, consistency can be a detriment when a sound becomes too safe and familiar. This is the case on Prawn's latest release Kingfisher, which is solid, but doesn't offer anything new.

Prawn have steadily been refining their chops in their rather long lifespan by emo standards (over seven years), and this progression culminated with their 2012 release Ships. Ships was less raw than previous works, it was catchier, it was tighter, and it had an appropriately short runtime considering how tiring and same sounding this brand of emo can be. Kingfisher has almost as many standout moments as Ships, but they're spread out over ten tracks instead of six, and the tracks as a whole have a more homogenized sound that effectively blends all the songs together. Similar to fellow post-rock influenced emo band Moving Mountains' latest release, much of the band's energy and charm is lost when their sound becomes too mellow, too slow, too familiar, and most importantly, too safe.

Prawn are a very strong band with a lot of potential, but at this point in their career, they need to be branching out more. Everything that's good about this record has been done better, fresher, and with more energy by similar bands, and Prawn themselves. Kingfisher is a fine record by most emo revival standards, but Prawn could have, and already have done better.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingEmpire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be Forgotten
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Old Gray/Tiny Moving Parts SplitBanner Pilot Souvenir
ExplosiveOranges (4)
Not the crowning jewel of the emo revival scene, but a bright gem nonetheless....

flag plz

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers

tommygun
August 27th 2014

but rob isn't this just a copy/paste of every other emo revival review you've written?

with the band and album names changed, of course :D

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

naw cos I wrote 3 paragraphs instead of 1

but yeah every damn emo band has been disappointing me lately

hopefully the new tiny moving parts will change that

SnakeDelilah

they're from ridgewood damn

Digging: Texas Is the Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?

ExplosiveOranges

flag plz

Goddammit.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

skoopy48
August 27th 2014

Damn I usually agree with your opinions treb but not this time. This album rules

Digging: Let It Happen - Cause Effect

DrJohn
August 27th 2014

Well, while I won't pretend caring about the emo scene or this album, one could wait for an album already reviewed on the front page to pass, before posting his own... it is a matter of good manners imho.

u wot m8

fromtheinside
August 28th 2014

"hopefully the new tiny moving parts will change that"

duh

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

Arcade
August 28th 2014

why does emo revival suck so aggressively

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

August 28th 2014

I'm with you Trebor. I don't understand the massive hype surrounding this.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

nice nice

I'm so hesitant to check out the new Maybeshewill

August 28th 2014

It's fairly good. I liked it a lot at first but it's grown off me significantly. It's watered down by their standards but still better than most post rock out there right now.

Diamondize