Prawn
Kingfisher

by ExplosiveOranges USER (43 Reviews)
August 27th, 2014 | 47 replies

Release Date: 08/12/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not the crowning jewel of the emo revival scene, but a bright gem nonetheless.

Behold the emo revival scene. A movement that, for the past few years, has yielded mixed results. It’s difficult to tell exactly which band can rise above the rest and spearhead the scene. Take for example relative newcomers Empire! Empire! I Was A Lonely Estate. Their debut, What It Takes To Move Forward, was released to critical acclaim and appeared countless times on “Best of the Year” lists around the web. However, their recent follow-up, You Will Eventually Be Forgotten, turned out to be more of a disappointment, falling victim to the dreaded sophomore slump. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence. Many a band has managed to show up with a stellar debut, only to crumble due to lackluster later material. Enter New Jersey group Prawn. With their third album, entitled Kingfisher, you might mistake them as a band focused on the concept of seafood. Puns aside, though, Prawn has managed to create an album that will impress emo fans old and new.

The first thing you’ll notice going into the album is the excellent production job. The instruments and vocals are much clearer than before, and they don’t drown each other out in the mix, making for an overall better sound. Tracks such as “Old Souls” showcase the deeper, more emotive side of the band, while songs such as “Dialectic Of…” and “Runner’s Body” come off as less heavy albeit still very expressive and emotional. The riffs are fairly simplistic, but not so to the point where they come off as lazy, while the vocals are both melodic and occasionally aggressive, never leaning too far to either side. This ultimately culminates into the biggest strength of Prawn: Balance. They never become too whiny or annoying, but also stray away from being over-the-top “hardcore”. They essentially take all of the good elements of emo, alt rock, and indie, and manage to filter out the more undesirable, generic components of said genres. Of course, that could be one of the album’s faults, as this isn’t exactly anything too new or original.

Even so, this is still worth a listen for all fans of emo music, and is a solid addition to Prawn’s discography. It may not be the one album to rise above and lead emo into a new golden age, but it’s a worthy listen for the journey until then.

Old Man Gloom The Ape of God IIBen Frost V A R I A N T
Bloodbath Grand Morbid FuneralApparitionist Godspeed
Carcass Surgical Remission/Surplus SteelKnife Party Abandon Ship
Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Prawn get lost at sea...

August 26th 2014

Take a shot for every short 4/5 review I've written so far if you wanna die of cirrhosis in less than 5 minutes. As always,
feedback is much appreciated, especially considering this is my first emo/alt rock/indie review.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

ChoccyPhilly
August 26th 2014

Well, i'm not too much a fan on emo but I liked the review - short and concise.

Digging: OG Maco - Breathe

August 26th 2014

Thanks, Choccy. This is pretty good, even by emo standards.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

1930 Comments

"This is pretty good, even by emo standards." fightin words boi

I can tell you aren't a huge emo fan by this review, lol. Could use a bit more description IMO, but nonetheless good job. pos'd

Digging: Leonardo Rosado - Adrift

conesmoke

Praaaaaawn!

BMDrummer

might check this

August 26th 2014

Long overdue review, good job.

Digging: Low Roar - 0

August 26th 2014

Lol, thanks Johnny. Yeah, "Take a shot for every short 4/5 review I've written so far if you wanna die of cirrhosis in less than 5 minutes" is pretty accurate of my Sput career, haha.

And thanks, Sowing!

scottpilgrim10
August 26th 2014

Sweet review. Not the best album from the emo revival scene, but I still enjoy it.

August 26th 2014

Thanks, man. Yeah, not another WITTMF, but still great.

pmmets07
August 26th 2014

i've been listening to this a lot and am still kinda waiting for it to hit me

It'll come eventually.

August 26th 2014

Pos'd. Then I read it, really solid review man. I've been listening to stuff like this a lot lately, so I will definitely check this out. You're doing wonders with the short review style here.

Digging: The Grouch x Eligh x CunninLynguists - The Winterfire EP

August 26th 2014

Dammit Mark, your kindness knows no bounds. I think you'll definitely dig this.

August 26th 2014

Will check probably tomorrow night. Modest Mouse has been dominating tonight's listening. Seriously though dude, you and Johnny are writing contrib-quality reviews twentysome reviews in, it's just fuckin' nuts.

August 26th 2014

Some are simply born to be writers. Also, MM rules.

VaxXi
August 26th 2014

Lol I still cant review for shit.

Anyways great review. Had no idea no one had written up a review for this album.

Also:
"The riffs are fairly simplistic, but not so to the point where they come off as lazy, while the vocals are both melodic and occasionally aggressive, but they never lean too far to either side."
I might rephrase this sentence due to comma usage here (not a necessity, just a suggestion). Perhaps something like this:
"The riffs are fairly simplistic but not so to the point where they come off as lazy, while the vocals are both melodic and occasionally aggressive, never leaning too far to either side."

Idk, just something to throw at ya.

August 26th 2014

Thanks, Vax. And yeah, sig, I'll see if I can adjust that a little bit tomorrow.