Mylo
Destroy Rock And Roll

by Andru Okenuf USER (32 Reviews)
August 23rd, 2014 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best album currently review-less on sputnikmusic

It would probably surprise you to hear that Elton John called Mylo the best band making music today back in 2004. It would probably surprise you, because you probably have never heard of Mylo.

Myles MacInnes (born 10 May 1978, Broadford, Isle of Skye, Scotland) was ahead of his time. His album had vocals and lyrics, but they weren't necessarily formed to be a cohesive piece. And not a lot of DJs who aren't named Thom Yorke were doing that yet.

But what's more important is that his (only?) LP, Destroy Rock and Roll hits on all cylinders. Opener Valley of the Dolls has a Royksopp-esque feel and gets you in the mood to chill as well as anything Thievery Corporation has ever done. Uplifting and never overbearing, the song just makes you want to smile and get up and stand tall.

Sunworshiper, the album's second track is somehow even more relaxing, fading into

Quote:
Well to solve all my problems to get out of drugs I'd had enough of that, I'd had the college, I'd had the earning the money and the material trip. I just decided to find a new way of life, and so I took off on my bicycle
But landing in Eureka, CA , as he does by the end of the song, wasn't the weirdest thing that happened to Myles.

The album escalates, each track more bouncy than the last (Guilty of Love being a standout) but then the bizarre and twisted eponymous track Destroy Rock and Roll, which names Michael Jackson, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Van Halen, Madonna, Huey Lewis & The News, The Cars, Herbie Hancock, Bonnie Tyler, Stevie Nicks, Men At Work, ZZ Top, Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson, Weird Al Yankovic, Cyndi Lauper, Pink Floyd, The Pretenders, Billy Joel, Billy Idol, Elton John, Neil Young, Sheena Easton, Patty Smith & Scandal, Fashion, Big Country, Morris Day & The Sign, John Lennon, Apalonia 6, Audio speed wagon, David Gilmour, The Rolling Stones, Pat Benetar, Hall & Oats, Wham, Randy Jackson, Adam Ant, Bananarama, Christine Lavin, Queen, Jack Cougar Melloncamp, U2, Spheres, Fleetwood Mac, The Alan Parsons Project, Rick Springfield, The Thompson Twins, Missing Persons, Duran Duran, Breathe, Eurythmics, Culture Club including Boy George, Band Aid, Relax, Missing Persons, Duran Duran, and Missing Persons, Duran Duran among others as perpetrators of "perverted movements of the body .. directed specifically against children"

Following is Rikki, which kicks the dance moves into gear, the only song I have on my "dancy" playlist. But it's closer Emotion 98.6, another standout, that somehow leaves you where you started, but with an extra glow.

My friend Eric will always be cooler than me. No matter what I go on to do in life, he will be. And I remember this was the album I showed him that he didn't know, which I thought was pretty cool. Well, I mean he doesn't know Aphex Twin or Massive Attack quite like I do either, but I won't hold that against him.

The xx CoexistThe Future Sound of London Lifeforms
Tricky MaxinquayeAnais Mitchell Young Man in America
Exoplanet Nothing Divides Us HereNicolas Jaar Don't Break My Love

August 23rd 2014

I tried to rate my own review, but the site wouldn't let me. welp #wompwomp . this was a hasty first
draft. hope it turned out alright. I'll probably jump back in and fix some links

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

August 23rd 2014

Muther fuckers gonna drop the pressure

I tried to get out of drugs I, I'd had enough of that

Good idea - wuthering heights

Bad idea - wuthering nike baseball cap

haha - my 11th grade english teacher used to write for Anamaniacs

Omaha
August 23rd 2014

this is the most andy review ever

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

August 23rd 2014

aawwww (and fuck you acad for tha neg)

August 23rd 2014

i'm down to 97% approval rating, how could this day get any worse?

August 23rd 2014

Used to write for animaniacs? Me too!

Good idea - mouth to mouth resuscitation

Bad idea - mouth to ass resuscitation

August 23rd 2014

nice rdj i c i c . is this the new aphex twin album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y14O46AQrQ . ima wait and buy it cause then i'll know fersure. also he deserves the money (and the boatloads i'd give him if he toured here)

August 23rd 2014

Unfortunately not the new album. I know it hurts but be patient, like I have for the past 10+ years xD

Yotimi
August 23rd 2014

Drop the pressure and In my arms is one of the best one two punches ever

HolidayKirk
August 23rd 2014

Love this album. Thought for sure I'd be the first to review it.

Mad.

Have this on CD, Drop the Pressure and t/t were jayums

Review is good but could do with some cleaning up, perhaps change that quote to just italics, it's pretty ugly atm

clercqie

MOTHERFUCKER CAN YOU HANDLE THE PRESSURE

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

clercqie
August 24th 2014

Rec section is boss btw.