Lily And The Pearl
Snowglobe

good

by VaxXi USER (33 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2014 | 5 replies

Review Summary: Why do I turn my back to you?

Snowglobe is, in a way to put it, an album that feels empty while being very much complete. Or maybe in a better use of words, an awkward stepping between folk and post-rock. What was originally the solo project of female vocalist Laura Brino it quickly became a two piece post-rock group when she introduced husband and guitarist Sean Jackson to the project. Snowglobe itself marks the now duo’s first album together which considering this is a first attempt at a fusion from a new folk artist and a long time post-rock artist, there is going to be a few kinks here and there. The biggest problem with Snowglobe is how awkward some of the arrangements on certain tracks can get. Sections can rather drone on too long or have zero breathing room while it waits for Laura Brino to get on track with her next verse. This can be especially bad when there are certain instrumental sections that are just uninteresting or too weak to trudge the track along it’s way to the next verse. This causes one too many chains of empty atmospheres in between tracks where they shouldn’t be, and it certainly can ruin the listeners experience.

Of course this isn’t the case for every track, as there are times where everything in a track goes right. The instrumental arrangements in the tracks can become very beautiful at times, combining very complex guitar sections accompanying very interesting piano leads and drum patterns that give a lot of songs very joyful and innocent feelings. The biggest selling point behind Snowglobe is definitely Laura’s vocals and writing. The topics span from heartbreak through different forms of metaphors or characters. Anywhere from injuries to life in a snowglobe, or the little girl across a street who watches a boy on the other side wishing to make contact. It's moments like the innocent writing and instrumentals alongside Laura's outstanding presentation that makes the album worthwhile. Snowglobe is a valiant effort from two newcomers to a rather unknown fusion of genres. While it does have it’s kinks and bumps from time to time, you will fall in love with the innocent songwriting, Laura’s encasing vocal work, or the beautiful compositions from Sean Jackson. It’s definitely an album worth your time, even if that means you have to skip a few tracks to enjoy the juicy bits.

Recommended Tracks:
Two Tons
First Aid Kit
Strangers With Bibles

Knife Party Abandon ShipSoundtrack (Film) The Book Of Life (Theatrical OST)
Justin Furstenfeld Songs From An Open BookBad Astronaut/Armchair Martian War Of The Worlds
Fox Stevenson All This TimeOf Us Giants Nova Scotia
good

VaxXi
August 22nd 2014

Stream/Download for free here: http://deepelmdigital.com/album/snowglobe

So here begins my ambitious project of reviewing almost every release in the Deep Elm catalogue. Over 71 artists, 150+ albums, and 20+ compilations. I don't know how far I will make it, but I sure as hell can try. Wish me the best of luck all, and remember. All criticisms and feedback is appreciated!

JohnnyOnTheSpot
August 22nd 2014

Your second sentence has a typo, you'll notice it right away if you read aloud

I feel like you could have been a bit more descriptive overall..

Digging: Snowday - As We Travel

thelastsignal
August 22nd 2014

This sounds like something I'd enjoy, definitely going to check it out this weekend. Regarding the review, you did well with not misusing commas which I had found to be a problem with your past reviews.

"Of course, this isn’t the case for every track, there are times where everything in a track goes right."

-I would remove the first comma, and then add 'as' before there.

"Many of the songs follow topics of heartbreak through different forms of metaphors or characters. Anywhere from injuries to life in a snowglobe, or the little girl across a street who watches a boy on the other side wishing to make contact"

-The second sentence here is a fragment; I see where you were going with it as it relates the first sentence, but you may want to reword it. Maybe just add "These topics span from" in the beginning so that it flows a bit better.

"It’s moments like these, the innocent writing and instrumentals, alongside Laura’s range of emotional presentation that really makes the entire album worthwhile. "

-This reads a bit awkwardly to me; maybe omit the commas and phrase to something like this: "It's moments like the innocent writing and instrumentals alongside Laura's range of emotional presentation that really makes the entire album worthwhile." I also don't know exactly what you mean by "emotional presentation", you may want to try a different phrasing. Do you mean the range of emotion in her vocals?

Pos'd, man. Very good job on this one.

Digging: Achilles - Hospice

ScuroFantasma
August 22nd 2014

It's a good review but there are little bits and peices that drag it down. Sig got most of them (although I believe you meant the second comma in your first correction).

"What was originally the solo project of female vocalist Laura Brino, it quickly became"

remove the comma and 'it' otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense.

The only other little problemI found that Mark hasn't already covered was:

" first album together. Which considering this"

This should be one sentence if you leave it the way it is. Or re-word it into two but the way it is now makes it seem like you just broke up one sentence.

This is a good review though; its well argued and has prompted me to give this a listen. Pos'd

Digging: Behemoth - The Satanist

VaxXi
August 22nd 2014

Alright just woke up and saw the suggestions, thanks for the tips. Ill also see if theres anything i can do to expand a bit.