Human Hands
Human Hands

by Tristan Jones USER (35 Reviews)
August 19th, 2014 | 44 replies

Release Date: 01/28/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For fans of emo old and new, Human Hands' debut is a must-listen.

It's always been a bit of a cliche to proclaim every new emotive hardcore release as being able to connect with the listener. Indeed, everywhere you turn there is a new band riding in the wake of the 'emo revival' as it is called. Many of these bands are simply pop-punk bands with twinkly guitars and excusably weak vocals. While there is certainly nothing wrong with these things, the result can be music that is unintentionally self-ridiculing but still maintains a certain aesthetic that fans of emo music find passable.

Human Hands are a band from Birmingham, England. Their sound is reminiscent of 90s emo bands in the vein of Indian Summer, particularly their use of tension building. The opening track "Disease" is a prime example of using a pull-and-release method to build tension without sounding too drawn out. Human Hands employ simple, effective guitar riffs throughout the album which work in conjunction with their build-ups in such a way that every minor change feels monumental. All the band members show a great deal of restraint, and the result is rewarding. Over the course of the seven minute opening track there are nigh-inperceivable subtleties that continue to build before culminating in an explosive finish. The vocalist coincides nicely with this, gradually increases the level of catharsis as the track progresses and giving a nice feeling of unity.

The vocals throughout the album are sparse, which works to the album's advantage. If they were too frequent they could have easily hindered the impact of the instrumental builds. The mixing of the vocals is also worth noting, as they truly sound as if they were sung in the same room as the listener. When I first listened to "Disease" I was startled, and had to look over my shoulder to ensure some nervous wreck hadn't wandered into my living room. The singer is similar to Jonathan Vance in his spoken/shout delivery, and in "String" the backup vocalist sings an unsteady melody akin to Penfold. While name-dropping various 'quintessential emo' musicians may seem unnecessary, it is important to draw attention to how successfully Human Hands capture the essence of their influences while still sounding fresh.

Human Hands is powerful, yet subtle. Every song succeeds at delivering a satisfying experience and the album as a whole is uplifting. Human Hands is a perfect example of using modest instrumental and vocal abilities to deliver music that is both raw and painstakingly composed. For fans of emo old and new, Human Hands' debut is a must-listen.