Be'lakor
Of Breath and Bone

by Kenneth E. Rathburn USER (70 Reviews)
August 18th, 2014 | 20 replies

Review Summary: It's all about momentum.

A batch of Australian talents deriving their name from Warhammer Fantasy; sounds like an ideal pairing with a bit of metal, doesn't it? Be'lakor aren't just a nifty premise, either. They employ a resolute style of melodic death metal with a shade of progressiveness. The culmination of Be'lakor's strengths came with Stone's Reach, earning Metal Storm's "Best Melodeath Metal Album" for 2009. Thanks to this small accolade, Be'lakor had the momentum and recognition to move forward with a third album, one that would see them stay the course.

While remaining true to their established sound, Of Breath and Bone showcases Be'lakor in a livelier nature, aided by the bolstered production. "Abeyance" kicks the ball hard and fast, dipping the listener's ears just enough without spoiling everything up-front. This pertains more to song quality than it does direction of sound; Of Breath and Bone is to Stone's Reach as A Clash of Kings is to A Game of Thrones. Up through "Absit Omen," there's a lingering sense of restraint, but the band are merely saving their best for last (for the most part).

Nothing necessarily keeps the album from hitting hard; Be'lakor simply do the deed with a certain grace, something their peers would do well to take after. This type of approach defines the majority of the album, but it isn't without a melancholic moment or two (see "Fraught"). The best case Of Breath and Bone makes for itself through an individual track is the calculated "In Parting," preceded by the album's one interlude (it's no "Husks," but the foreboding build-up works). This, as I alluded, brings the album's final moments into account. Between "In Parting," "The Dream and the Waking" and "By Moon and Star" playing back-to-back, it almost feels like three songs fighting for conclusive victory. Each one barely crosses the nine-minute mark and opens with a degree of rousing guitar work which, in the case of "The Dream and the Waking," becomes particularly integral to the overarching melody. If you ever wondered what a slab of grand closers would sound like on a non-compilation album, Of Breath and Bone offers a fair taste.

Be'lakor exercise themselves in a way that allows them to maintain a strong form and composed posture. The foundation might be a bleaker shade of melodic death metal, but even with the inclusion of a keyboardist, these guys sound closer to Opeth's solemnity than they do Dark Tranquillity's. Of Breath and Bone keeps the field open for possibilities and development, all that remains to be seen is whether they break away from their position of strength and safety.

Threshold For The JourneySonata Arctica Pariah's Child
Sonata Arctica Stones Grow Her NameSonata Arctica The Days of Grays
Sonata Arctica UniaSonata Arctica Reckoning Night
thegreywind (4.5)
Be'lakor have created an outstanding album mixing the progressive and melodic aspects of music with ...

Kyle Ward STAFF (3.5)
Be'lakor show how good they really are when an album that may not be their best still towers over mo...

August 17th 2014

On the brief side, but this is one of those albums I've listened to so many times I figured "why not review it?"

August 18th 2014

band rocks so hard Melbourne represent!

Digging: Jake Kaufman - Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack

Need new album

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstörung

August 18th 2014

I think they're making one m/

August 18th 2014

nah just writing at the moment

August 18th 2014

"more feels in the music"

;_;

August 18th 2014

My guess is we can expect it between late next year and early to mid 2016. I doubt it'll ever happen, but I'd love to see these guys tour in the US.

Futures

great album

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

tommygun
August 18th 2014

death metal is for sociopaths sup jac sup lloyd sup futures

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

August 18th 2014

Melodeath isn't death metal tho

TheSpirit

yes it is

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

Or is it?

Keyblade
August 18th 2014

melodeath = power metal with harsh vocals = flower metal = for pussies = not metal

agreed

Digging: Strawberry Switchblade - Strawberry Switchblade

so hard

TheSpirit

oiy

August 18th 2014

mdm sucks except for black dahlia murder m/m///m///m/m/mm/m/wm,fm,/m,w/m/,

sup tom

Pizzabakker5
August 18th 2014

Excellent album, one of the better ones from 2012.

I am absolutely digging the review as well, great stuff! Besides the fact that it is well written I find myself agreeing with almost every point you make. The only thing is that you haven't made the obvious Amon Amarth comparison in your review - perhaps the band with whom they have most in common - but on the other hand it's a so obvious one that it's nice to see it not mentioned in a Be'lakor review once.

August 18th 2014

where does this rank on the chrooooottt-o-meter dr headphones?

August 18th 2014

@Pizzabaker: I was about to mention Amon Amarth, but when I think of the two side-by-side, I think of the consistency from album to album as opposed to actual sound. Would be killer to see a Be'lakor/Amon Amarth tour in the future.

SourAK
August 18th 2014

make a new album already fook