The Haunted
One Kill Wonder

by Bron-Yr-Aur USER (39 Reviews)
April 19th, 2006 | 10 replies | 1,372 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

A flashback: Winter of 2003. A slightly more bushy-tailed youngster makes his way into a record store. His has been a difficult journey, through the harsh brutality of winter and traffic and what not. Finally, the boy makes his way back to his vehicle with an album tucked under his arm. This is the tale of that boys' musical journey, and the album, "One Kill Wonder".

Having been a tremendous fan of the Swedish prophets At The Gates, I naturally assumed that the bands two principal songwriters would continue to put out the goods, and I would not tolerate failure. The album began. The intro track was nice, tight, HEAVY. I was giddy with excitement by the time "Godpuppet" made it's way through the speakers. My euphoria, however, was to be short-lived.

I found this track to be little more than a Slayer song with death metal vocals. Surely there must be some mistake? I shifted uncomfortably in my chair, but thankfully, the tune was a short one. After having my feathers ruffled so early on into an album I was starting to have my doubts. But then, by the light of the saviour, no doubt, "Shadow World" arrived. The song was everything an At The Gates maniac could have possibly dreamed of. Catchy yet brutal riffing, superb leads.

Paradise. Once again I was feeling on top of the world. "Everlasting" came next, and I found myself echoing the same profanity as when "Godpuppet" made it's pseudo-thrash appearance. However, there were hooks, and the drumming was enough to make me buckle at the knees. I gasped for breath as "D.O.A." mades it's appearance. And just when I regained a regular breathing pattern, the song booted me squarely in the balls. That's right folks; this was one hell of a song. While no doubt showing a Slayer influence here, the band made it their own and didn't merely steal a track off of "Reign In Blood" when Jeff Hanneman wasn't looking.

"Demon Eyes" lurked out of the shadows next, and I was rather relieved to discover it was an instrumental, as Marco Aro (Vocals) seemed to possess absolutely no range whatsoever. This angered me, so I let him know. He still hasn't returned my call. "Demon Eyes" was a slower number, and it was very well composed. It started more melodically and steadily built a heavier and heavier basis. Fine musicianship my friends.
I was really beginning to like this album, even with the faults it displayed. It had diversity (except in the vocals dammit), and it appeared as if the band was actually trying to make a single cohesive statement. But then, it all went wrong. "Urban Predator" revealed itself to be a very boisterous and agitating tune. Like the fat kid at summer camp who gets all the snacks and pushes you into the mud. Bastard. The vocals are probably worse here than on any tune on the record, and after about twenty five minutes straight, that says something. Luckily, "Downward Spiral" came along and saved me from a fate worse than death. This tune has a very anthematic chorus, and Jonas Bjorler steals the main songwriting credit for a change. Oh, how I love this song.
"***head" is next, and yes it's seriously the title. It's actually very well written, and the lyrics seem a bit deeper than the rest given you can decipher them.
"Bloodletting" is simply a terrible track. From the lyrics right down to the structure, it seemed they were trying to envoke some sort of divine wrath now. I couldn't bear it. It was like catching the malaysion bird flu. In your ear.

Disappointment settled in. There were some great songs no doubt, but there wasn't that track by tack quality of "Slaughter Of The Soul" or "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness". The last track "One Kill Wonder", saved this album from the depths of, well, my closet. A very lively track, this contained Marcos' most brutal vocals. Whether or not that's a good thing is for you to decide.

Is The Haunted a good band? In my opinion, yes. Can they hold their own against At The Gates? Certainly not. However, I would recommend this album for the aforementioned great tracks alone, and the rest you can either skip or make fun of. Or maybe you'll like them. Who knows? A good album overall by a good band, but compared to what they're capable of this is rather unnerving, especially when you take into account that this is arguably their best effort. 3.5/5

Silversun Pickups CarnavasPink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon
The Haunted The Haunted Made Me Do ItThe Beatles Please Please Me
Led Zeppelin Led ZeppelinRage Against the Machine The Battle of Los Angeles
3.3
Grant Hunter (2.5)

pattern_recognition
April 20th 2006

It was after this that the music press started whoring them as 'the new slayer'...it's not a bad album, but like all their stuff, it's just not consistent enough, as you pointed out.
Good review dude.

Scoot
April 20th 2006

I can't stand the singer at all.

Decent band though.

April 28th 2006

Yeah. Marco's decent, but he gets annoying rather quickly.

April 28th 2006

good review my friend, seems as if you and I have very similar opinions.
There, now we have 10 comments.

April 28th 2006

Indeed. Entering the double digits yo.

metallicaman8
April 28th 2006

This was a pretty good album. But what's up with the cover? It's all blurry n' shit. That kind fo takes away from the album

April 28th 2006

Not really. I see what you mean about the cover, but I fail to see how a cover being blurry can hinder an albums' music. Not to be a prick. Because I like you. Alot. Love you, even. Yeah I'm gonna stop now.

April 28th 2006

You can blame me for the fuzzy appearance on the album art. I took it off a website, but apparently when its enlarged, it doesn't look to good...

April 28th 2006

Ah well. They see the corpse. They get the point.

July 15th 2006

I went back and listened to this and to 'rEVOLVEr', and then put in 'Slaughter of the Soul'.
It is now considered unfair to compare The Haunted to At the Gates greatness.