Gorillaz
Demon Days

by Jared Floryan USER (14 Reviews)
August 14th, 2014 | 59 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "...And then came a sound. Distant first, it grew into castrophany so immense it could be heard far away in space."

What has to be said about Gorillaz that hasn't been spoken before? Intrinsically, it is a 'virtual band' that was established by Blur frontman Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett; the latter is a comic book creator that people have heard about, explicitly in part of Hewlett being the co-creator of Tank Girl and – to some extent – illustrating the cover art for Mindless Self Indulgence's second full-length album, Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy. They are renowned for their particular style of amalgamating genres, ranging from alternative rock, trip hop, electronica, and reggae, just to name a few.

Gorillaz is – to be completely honest – a terribly underrated collaboration that's been going on for a rather long while. Oh, sure, they might be commercially successful, but it typically seems as if quite a vocal minority in the world overlook their genius just because of the entire 'virtual band' gimmick. If you're uncertain as to what I'm babbling about, then simply have a gander at the group's music videos and artwork for all their releases – specifically the four studio albums. To summarize, Albarn is a virtuoso living up on melancholy hill, a location that leaves critics and the likes unsure as to whether or not it must be reached.

With all of this said and done, let me just get straight to the real point. In 2004, Gorillaz would go on to record their successor to their self-titled effort released during March 26, 2001; a year later, after the Demon Days sessions were completed, said album would finally be made available in May 2005. Featuring 15 tracks in all – one less if you don't go out of your way to deem the CD's intro as an actual song – it was produced by Gorillaz mastermind Albarn alongside Danger Mouse. Gorillaz, which was Demon Days' antecedent, laid the foundation of the group's sound that Damon strived for. Although great at being a musically diverse batch of songs and having exhibited sensational lyrics, one can't help but wonder if Blur's head crumpet was really comfortable around this era.

Fortunately, Demon Days exists to find a solution for the project's self-titled debut's minor setbacks and – if you're all down with that – much of the material is a substantial improvement. Sporting a more darker, theatrical vibe, each song appears to be a personification of somebody OR something confronting their personal demons. The listener is bound to go on a quest that involves tackling the melancholic (“El Mañana”), the – oddly enough - electronically-upbeat (“DARE”), and the probable hope spots (“Don't Get Lost in Heaven” and the title track). Much of it can be unsettling, though long-time Gorillaz fans are no stranger to the terror bottling up inside Demon Days; just keep hearing the memorable “Clint Eastwood” and all the proof's in the pudding.

Appropriate for Gorillaz standards, Damon rounds up a number of contributors for this sophomore album. Some of the more notable guest artists include De La Soul on the infectious “Feel Good Inc.”, the now-deceased Dennis Hopper providing narration for the haunting presence of “Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head”, and Shaun Ryder on “DARE”; hip hop artist MF DOOM must also be given an honorable mention, for he compliments the urban, yet also raw feel of “November Has Come”. In general, all of the contributors who appeared throughout Demon Days do their very best to join with Damon's distinctive vocals, without any bungles whatsoever.

The succinct production values oozing from the self-titled album's emotional antithesis are just wondrous. This crisp quality presents the instruments utilized on Demon Days to be heard like the voice of an angel, ranging from Martina Topley-Bird's beautiful voice during the bridge of “All Alone” and the industrial (for lack of a better term) grit that “White Light” flaunts. Much like with everything else on this elegant powerhouse, the record's sounds are Gorillaz taken up to eleven. To sum it all up in two words: beauteously crafted.

By and large, Demon Days is a fantastic record that Damon Albarn and collaborators were able to conjure up. Containing little-to-none accidents and a more-than-confident Albarn dwelling within a hopeless, plastic beach, this was THE album by which you'll convince yourself to give more than a mere chance. It's not revolutionary by any means, but it definitely shows how to adequately meld genres and emotions together without coming off as a pigsty.

Psyopus Ideas of ReferenceDazzle Vision Kirari
Faith No More Introduce YourselfAiden Our Gangs Dark Oath
Hello Kitty Suicide Club ^_^Maximum the Hormone Mimi Kajiru
user ratings (2002)
Clumpy (4)
Finally, someone let me outta my cage. . ....

John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF (4)

Holyed (4.5)

August 14th 2014

Constructive criticism is welcome. And lemme tell ya: this was a bitch to write!

FeedingNetherlands

/m /o

Grizzlypyro
August 14th 2014

Great review, love this album. Have a pos.

VaxXi
August 14th 2014

Im surprised an album like this only had three reviews prior to this one, I wouldve expected more. Also this is a really nice review, it's quite interesting to read.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

1931 Comments

Good review, never really liked this album though

Digging: Leonardo Rosado - Adrift

Rastapunk

Instant pos!!

And great review!

Rastapunk
August 14th 2014

Weird enough, the narration of Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head made it one of my favorite track on this album, don't know why

August 14th 2014

@Rastapunk As nightmarish as it is, Dennis Hopper's voice unto itself might've did the trick. That, or the themes underlying the lyrics.

ZackSh33

Its dare

MrSirLordGentleman

Rulz

Tunaboy45
August 14th 2014

I was listening to this today. Fantastic album. Pos.

Digging: Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

hogan900
August 14th 2014

I really don't like this band, and I barely know why.

August 14th 2014

"So don't stop, get it, get it, until you jet ahead. Yo, watch the way I navigate"

Tunaboy45

Ha ha ha ha ha

Supercoolguy64

Great album, brings me back to 7th grade, maaaaan
Im actually somewhat surprised this iis only the 4th review of this, thought this would be one of those albums that would have more that a million reviews by this point. whateves. pos'd

Digging: Kid606 - Don't Sweat The Technics

PistolPete
August 14th 2014

This is a special album. Haven't jammed it in forever

undertakerpt
August 14th 2014

Good review, love this album

Good idea - raising a glass

Bad idea - raising a swastika

Jasdevi087
August 15th 2014

I'm glad that there are people here that love Gorillaz. I've been looking for you bastards since I was 7.

Rowan5215
August 15th 2014

Lol who doesn't love Gorillaz though best band ever
I LOOOOOVE YOUUUUUU
BUT WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO

Digging: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

zakalwe
August 15th 2014

If this were a beach it would be a deserted paradise of pure white sand, palm trees and clear blue water.
Plastic Beach on the other hand would be a pebbly hell hole, full of used johnnies, dog turd and chock a block with fat noisy holidaymakers.

Digging: The dB's - Stands For Decibels