Pathology
Throne of Reign

by Mark A. USER (59 Reviews)
August 14th, 2014 | 21 replies

Release Date: 08/05/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Throne of Reign is simply the next chapter of the same story for the band.

At this point in time, it would be foolhardy for any Pathology fan to expect a huge deviation in style. Deep, gurgling vocals are matched up against inhuman drumming and lightning fast solos, and Throne of Reign is simply the next chapter of the same story for the band. That's obviously a good or bad thing, depending on what you are expecting. Fans of brutal death metal in general will find much to enjoy here, as this is one of Pathology's strongest offerings to date. The album is filled to the brim with absolutely gargantuan riffs and earth-shattering grooves, and the brevity here is one of the saving graces of Throne of Reign. The terrifying trio of Matti Way, Dave Astor, and Tim Tiszczenko certainly know how to play to their strengths after seven albums, fine-tuning a formula that won't get much better than what is on display here. The frantic solo that rips out from under the acrobatic riffing in first track "Above Atmosphere" in less than two minutes sets the expectations early on, and the destruction never lets up from there.

Even with the strong musicianship present throughout Throne of Reign, the whole affair begins to muddle together around halfway through, becoming a chore for the listener. The blistering pace does not relent until "Relics Past" hits, providing a stop-start heaviness that morphs into the most varied songwriting on the album. The virtuosity displayed on the solo halfway through the song helps to give the track a more defined feel, and it would have done Pathology well to create more in this vein to break up the one dimensional attack. This ends up being a minor qualm instead of the huge problem it would be for a death metal band not as well-seasoned as this one, if only because Pathology know how to not overstay their welcome for the listener. The 35-minute runtime allows for a few tracks to stand out ("Bavarian Illuminati", "Above Atmosphere") and for the album to end without the fans struggling through the inevitable monotony. It seems as though the band has perfected their craft and have no intention of branching out; whether that is a positive or negative is entirely up how much you enjoy brutal death metal.

Mac Miller FacesThe Banner Greying
Joyce Manor Never Hungover AgainMr. Muddle General's Quarters
Ab-Soul These Days...As Blood Runs Black Ground Zero
2.9
good
Mall (3)
Near the end...

August 14th 2014

Originally posted here: http://thesonicsensory.com/2014/08/14/pathology-throne-of-reign/

A short review for an album there isn't much to say about. Let me know how I did.

Digging: The Banner - Greying

August 14th 2014

The most consistently okay band ever

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

August 14th 2014

Totally agree there man. It's almost frustrating how there's no progression or regression, but this one is probably my fave of theirs.

August 14th 2014

Yeah just listened to two tracks from this, definitely prefer the production and Matti's vox on the last album, probably won't listen to the whole thing lol

Also pretty nice review man, only thing that made me scratch my head is your use of the word "muddle" in the second paragraph, buttpos

August 14th 2014

Thanks, man. I just was using term to express that it does become a chore to get through the middle part of the album due to the fact that it's so one-dimensional. Any suggestions on different phrasing?

August 14th 2014

Yeah, production isn't too great but it's not bad enough to bother me too much. Also I've been meaning to check out Abominable Putridity; how do they compare?

August 14th 2014

Perhaps just change it to "the whole affair begins to muddle together around halfway through, becoming
a chore for the listener"?

It's not really a problem, just the use of the word didn't really suit said phrasing.

Abominable Putridity's latest is pretty similar but a little more adventurous with its song-
writing/riff patterns, if you dug this then you should enjoy it for sure.

ExplosiveOranges
August 14th 2014

"The most consistently okay band ever"
Trvth. Anyways, Mark, YOU BEAT ME TO IT. AGAIN.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

August 14th 2014

Good call, Jac. I changed it, that reads much better.

Haha Oranges, JUST REVIEW IT TOO. I figured that you would review it, what are your thoughts on it?

Judio!
August 14th 2014

Pos'd. Have never been too interested in these guys to be perfectly honest.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

August 14th 2014

Thanks, Judio. This one won't change your mind haha.

Gameofmetal
August 14th 2014

Accurate. The review sort of mirrors the album, short and sweet but not adventurous. I liked the album before Rephaim best I think

August 14th 2014

Yeah, not much to be said about this one, other than it's standard fare. I believe that was The Great
Time of Purification, that one's pretty good.

Gameofmetal

Yeah that.

Everything felt pretty tight on that one. I don't usually jam these guys but when I do I go for that.

ExplosiveOranges
August 14th 2014

Late to the game, but anyways, great review, lol. I haven't spun this yet, but it's probably the same as their last 4 records.

TheSpirit

Listening for Matti Way

Anthracks
August 14th 2014

I dunno, this is their worst for me. They've transformed into a full on slam band, and that's boring 99% of the time.

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World

Shuyin

12080 Comments

band releases an album every year, maybe they should slow down

Mall
August 15th 2014

Agreed this is their worst

ScuroFantasma
August 15th 2014

Good review Mark, nice and short.

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun