Three Seasons
Grow

by manosg USER (37 Reviews)
August 14th, 2014 | 15 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid psychedelic/hard rock album overall but have Three Seasons grown?

If you're going to sound like one of the greatest guitarists of all time you’d better do it well because the line between ridicule and apotheosis is a very fine one. Three Seasons’ guitarist Sartez Faraj, consciously or not, reminds a lot of Ritchie Blackmore. This is not apparent from the beginning of the first track of the band’s latest effort that pays respect to the psychedelic scene of the late ‘60s. However, somewhere around the five minute mark, the guitar solo sounds very familiar to Deep Purple connoisseurs. As you’ve probably figured out by now, Grow is part of the vintage rock scene that is booming in recent years.

Three Seasons is a three piece act hailing from Sweden which seems to be one of the most reliable sources of vintage rock since The Hellacopters probably. Coming back to the discussion about influences, it really depends how one incorporates them to his playing in order to form his/her unique identity. Generally speaking, being heavily influenced by a legend is by no account a bad thing. Sartez Faraj has read and memorized the Ritchie Blackmore book of guitar soloing and added his own personal touch. However, you should not expect Mark II Deep Purple soloing as found in In Rock or Made in Japan. Three Seasons’ guitarist is more reminiscent of Blackmore’s work on Mk. III Deep Purple on which Blackmore was less wild, more restrained and mellower.

As a result, the middle parts of most tracks on Grow feature an emotional and bluesy guitar solo with hammer-on’s and vibrato that will definitely appeal to Blackmore fans. The moments where it is combined with the sounds of Hammond are among the highlights of the album. “Tablas of Bahar” is an instrumental track that sounds as if it was a b-side of Stormbringer and is easily one of the best instrumental tracks I’ve listened this year. Nevertheless, Three Seasons are much more than a Deep Purple rip off. Leaving guitar solos aside, there are moments were Grow reminisces legends such as Grand Funk Railroad while Sartez Faraj’s vocal technique especially on “No Shame” or “Familiar Song” brought to my mind Glenn Hughes. In addition, most tracks are five minutes or more with very beautiful instrumental psychedelic/bluesy passages. Therefore, Grow is definitely more psychedelic/bluesy rather than on the garage side.

Still, not everything is perfect on Grow. Sartez Faraj has a very good voice but more than once I wondered if the final outcome would have been even better with a more bluesy/emotional singer holding the mic such as a Coverdale clone. In addition, the production is very typical of the vintage rock scene and at times it seems as if everything is at the same volume. Lastly, Grow doesn’t seem to be a step forward compared to the band’s previous album.

Overall, those of you who are into the rock revival movement will surely find elements that will please you on Grow. The fact that the band’s guitarist is very comfortable playing Blackmore-reminiscent solos can only be a plus and the mood of the album will certainly appeal to fans of the ‘60s psychedelic/early ‘70s hard rock scene.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band Paul Butterfield Blues BandNina Simone Pastel Blues
Nightfall Athenian EchoesTheatre Of Tragedy Aegis
Accept BreakerToots & The Maytals Funky Kingston

August 14th 2014

Special thanks to user Voivod for bringing this band to my attention, rock on.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFPhE1TJmlM

Your comments are deeply appreciated.

Digging: John Coltrane - Ballads

danielcardoso
August 14th 2014

Great review as usual, man. Pos'd from me.
Just out of curiosity, I'll probably check it out.

Voivod
August 14th 2014

Excellent review, pos, I concur about the Grand Funk Railroad influence, it is there since their first album.

For those interested, the album - and the whole Three Seasons discog - is streaming at play.spotify.com.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

@danielcardoso
Thanks dude. I think you'll enjoy the album.

@Vovivod
Thanks man. Hope more people check this one.

Mad.
August 14th 2014

Nice review man, looks interesting.

One thing, I'd change the first line from "If you’re about to sound as one of the greatest guitarists of all time"

to

"If you're going to sound like one of the..."

August 14th 2014

Thanks man, this is something you'll probably enjoy.

ExplosiveOranges
August 14th 2014

Great review, man. Pos'd.

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

Thanks dude.

Judio!
August 14th 2014

Cool review Manosg! Haven't heard of these guys before but this was an interesting read nonetheless.

Digging: Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty

August 14th 2014

Cheers man, I appreciate it.

deslad
August 14th 2014

Sounds quite interesting, I will listen to it sometime soon. Also great review man, POS.

Digging: Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

DrJohn
August 14th 2014

I’m not fond of the production here. Cool review though!

@deslad
Thanks! Great dig as well.

@DrJohn
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not too fond of the production as well, at times it sounds as if everything is on the same level. I'd prefer a production similar to '70s hard rock albums.

DrJohn
August 14th 2014

In an effort to appropriate “retro” sound, lots of folks screw up the end result. It’s a tough job to make a record sound 70s by using digital filters and tricks, recording techniques differed completely back then, but that’s a long story…

August 14th 2014

Very well put. It's not easy to achieve the warm sound a lot of 70s albums had.