Adebisi Shank
This is the Third Album

by Tristan Jones USER (37 Reviews)
August 13th, 2014 | 59 replies

Release Date: 08/12/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Adebisi Shank risk isolating fans by embracing their electronic sound wholeheartedly, yet we can't help but play along.

Whenever a rock band makes the decision to incorporate more electronic elements in their music, the result can be polarizing. While some listeners can appreciate the experimental aspect and laud the band for being openminded in their approach, fans of older material can feel isolated, as though elements that made the band worthwhile were being cast aside in favour of something more commercialized. With This is the Third Album of a Band Called Adebisi Shank, the band utilizes electronic elements to the extreme, but in such a way that still feels familiar.

If their second album could be considered Adebisi Shank's gateway to electronic experimentation, this is the album where those efforts truly reach fruition. The synth work is at the forefront during the entire album, and it is executed to perfection. Despite the plethora of elements Adebisi Shank throws into the mix, they never feel ill-suited as though they were only included as an afterthought. Rather, everything works quite cohesively on this album, and the overall effect is invigorating. "World In Harmony" is almost anthemic, and serves as the album's opener. The song features thick, driving guitar work and synths reminiscent of Japanese video games. This song in particular is similar to Anamanaguchi, but with much more emphasis on incessant exhilaration and danceability.

"Turnaround" might prove to be a breath of fresh air for fans of Vincent McCreith's bass work. A common gripe regarding the band's second album is McCreith serving as little more than an accompaniment for the band's greater interests. "Turnaround" features an infectious bass line, but is still threatened by the all-encompassing electronic effects. "Sensation" is also a highlight for the bassist and is undeniably funky. Still, the bass work is left with little room to breath as the fury of synths encroach on its territory. While the various electronic effects and melodies are varied enough throughout the album to give each track a distinct feel, they have a habit of overstaying their welcome. Yet, despite this, Adebisi Shank still manage to put a smile on your face. At the risk of making a complete and utter fool of yourself, you just might feel a sudden urge to dance without a second thought, or consideration for your physical well-being. I would love to witness the spectacle that would inevitably occur during a live performance of "Sensation". While Third Album sees the band breaking new ground instrumentally, the songs still feel on par with their first album in terms of momentum. As is tradition, Adebisi Shank never fails to hit you without warning. As the album nears a close on the second-last track "Voodoo Vision", we are blessed with a rather sobering piano line that serves as a respite. However, just as you might be tempted to recuperate, Adebisi Shank turns it up to eleven, true to their form.

This is the Third Album of a Band Called Adebisi Shank places heavy emphasis on danceable melodies and soaring synths, yet the math-rock trio still showcases a great deal of creativity, and they manage to sound consistently fresh throughout this release. While the overall effect is hindered slightly by a lack of emotional dynamic, it is forgivable, as the overwhelming energy they put into this album is infectious, whether you like it or not. Adebisi Shank risk isolating fans by embracing their electronic sound wholeheartedly, yet we can't help but play along. Indeed, as the final track "(trio always)" brings the album to a satisfying conclusion, I am reminded of when I first read the closing credits to Contra, after being hit with a seemingly never-ending combination of adrenaline and euphoria. Despite the exhausting journey, a part of me wished I could experience it again, and I did. I played the game many times in my youth, and each time I felt a sort of masochistic relief when the credits rolled, only to anticipate my next play through.

Thank you, Adebisi Shank. I forgot how much I loved that game.

ACIN ACINGates Bloom and Breathe
Today Is the Day Animal MotherA Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos
Cryo Chamber CthulhuVanessa Rossetto Whole Stories
Mike Denison (4)
The joy of motion....

August 12th 2014

Digging: Astral and Shit - Spiritus Vitae

August 13th 2014

if you're wondering why there's so much electronic influence on this:

terrible summaries in both reviews too!

August 13th 2014

Lol yeah I went the obvious route.

Have you heard this yet?

yeah i have

Herpty derp derp

I think I need to go to bed

Omaha
August 13th 2014

i am in the minority here i guess

protonjon
August 13th 2014

Feeling a little isolated by this album. Where is the punk energy? I imagine those pussies over at Pitchfork would love this.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

August 13th 2014

@proto - where's the energy? we must not be listening to the same thing
@omaha - repent!

Deviant.

Their weakest album, and it's still a 4

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

VheissuCrisis
August 13th 2014

Whenever a rock band makes the decision to incorporate more electronic elements in their music, the response can be polarized. -- I'd change this to 'the result can be polarizing' - reads better.

I'd also remove TITTAOABCAS and maybe just put Third Album in italics.

Did a decent job on the rest though man so I'll pos. Hoping I enjoy this, didn't care for their second as much as I did their first.

fixed, thanks

VheissuCrisis
August 13th 2014

Sensation is cool as fuck, enjoying this.

thelastsignal
August 13th 2014

Nice review, man. Pos'd for sure. Let me know if you'd like some more feedback on this.

August 13th 2014

good review homie, you changed your summary which i thought was a good idea as well.

August 13th 2014

Yeah I didn't wanna be all hackneyed and whatnot

Beauville88
August 13th 2014

Of course Voodoo Vision and Big Unit make be believe that they'd have a bigger rock sound for this record, but it's mostly a strange mix of dancy, layered, electronic numbers.

Still great though, but I'm a touch disappointed. You summed it up nicely. Good review!

Thanks

Wolfhorde
August 13th 2014

Mhm, not sure whether I'm gonna like this.

guitarded_chuck
August 13th 2014

is this the new hoobastank

YakNips

11967 Comments

"we can't help but play along"

don't speak for me