The Relapse Symphony
Shadows

by Dalton DuBois USER (29 Reviews)
August 12th, 2014 | 37 replies

Release Date: 07/08/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The dream is dust, the deed is done, and I’ve got my hands around the gun

The 2010’s have so far been an interesting period in terms of influences, with descending branches of bands taking their own styles and infusing them with the signature traits of their favorite bands. The Relapse Symphony is such a band, accumulating over half a million Facebook likes in only a little over a year. The Relapse Symphony take cues from Avenged Sevenfold and Black Veil Brides and combine with their own unique mix of Post-Hardcore and Pop Punk to create an infectiously catchy debut album complete with varied guitar passages, addictive hooks and a surprising amount of variety.

The determining factor of whether someone will enjoy this album or not will likely rest on their enjoyment of vocalist Bret Von Dahl. His range and note delivery is spot on and he has no problem carrying a tune, however he shares the same problem that Vic Fuentes and multiple other vocalists have in the fact that their nasally tone can be quite off-putting to some. If you can look past this minor stylistic difference, you’ll find that his vocal capabilities allow him to keep up with the often fast paced instrumentation without difficulty. His harsh vocals are another story entirely; after the second chorus in the ballad “Forever Slowly” this becomes apparent as he can jump from a low guttural to a high shriek with ease. The shame of it all is that his screams are underutilized on this album or throughout the majority of their discography. Gang vocal chants are another common feature prevalent throughout the album and will often help to elevate the impact of a verse. The lyricism is your standard optimistic affair in the vein of Black Veil Brides, often touching on themes of romance, finding strength in yourself and standing up for what you believe.

The instrumentation can be summed up in three words; catchy, technical and melodic. You have three types of songs on here, motivational anthems such as “We are the Broken”, pop punk jams such as “Angels Take Us, Demons Save Us” and darker rock numbers like the title track. The guitarists stand out here, riffing, sweeping and soloing away for the majority of the album and often take the spotlight in front of the other instruments. This doesn’t mean that the other instruments are lazy by any means, what’s surprising the most is that there’s quite a bit of technical bass work going on in the background, unfortunately the crisp production style undermines the bass’s impact a bit too much. The drumming throws in some interesting fills and pedal work here and there but it’s mostly your standard affair. There’s a fair amount of strings and piano littered throughout various tracks on the album as well, adding an extra dimension and bringing forth more atmosphere.

When a band takes more cues from their influences than most they always run the risk of possibly being written off as a copy band (Vampires Every-Manson), however The Relapse Symphony have blended their style so well that they have cemented their place in the scene as a unique band with plenty to offer, and it’ll be interesting to see if they can consistently deliver and capitalize on their strengths in future releases.

Blood on the Dance Floor Blood UnpluggedMatty Mullins Matty Mullins
Celldweller End of an Empire - Chapter 01: TimeSoundtrack (Film) Transformers - Age of Extinction
Soundtrack (Anime) Code Geass R2 OST #2Black Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
2.3

Catchy as hell.

TLDR: Avenged Sevenfold and Black Veil Brides had sex at a Pop Punk / Post-Hardcore concert and The Relapse Symphony was their baby.

August 11th 2014

ive been listening to way too much good music lately so im gonna check this

August 11th 2014

The album's streaming on Spotify if you have that.

emester
August 11th 2014

"The Relapse Symphony take cues from Avenged Sevenfold and Black Veil Brides"
Oh boy two of my favorites -_-...
Not gonna touch this even with a 50 foot pole in that case...

Digging: The Black Twilight Circle - Tliltic Tlapoyauak

"We are the Broken"

August 11th 2014

Sounds like the band missed an opportunity to have some really good pro-chorus hooks. Or maybe im just expecting bands that have post hardcore attached to their names to have more screaming. Also the vocalist sounds like he would fit right in a disney made boy band.

August 11th 2014

I think they've got some pretty damn good hooks on this album honestly, and eh Post-Hardcore I don't necessarily expect to have screaming to be completely honest. I only expect that out of Metalcore, Hardcore etc.

August 11th 2014

Hmm, my biggest gripe with this album is that it feels to weak in aspects and areas where it really shouldnt, and like I
said before the vocalist sounds like he could fit right in with Jonas Brothers or some shit. I do agree that the main
melodies from the guitarist are nice though.

August 11th 2014

Which aspects do you think it feels weak in? I concede that he could fit in one of those bands, but then again he's still a talented vocalist and more than pulls his weight here.

TheSpirit
August 11th 2014

This isn't a bad review, just kind of boring. I probably won't listen to this.

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

August 11th 2014

omg what did i just sign up for

August 11th 2014

@Spirit: I've been churning out smaller more to the point reviews to procrastinate from working on the
BVB We Stitch These Wounds review, it's requiring a LOT more editing than I originally thought and
it's driving me up the wall a bit. So sorry if this review seems a bit boring compared to my usual
work. (I've already trimmed it down from 4000 to 3000 words and I'm going through and rephrasing a LOT
of things that I'm not satisfied with.)

August 11th 2014

@Sour: Not your cup of tea?

emester

Cant say Im a fan snide :[

August 11th 2014

Ah damn, I figured. It's safe to say those who absolutely hate BVB might not dig this.

August 11th 2014

aye but i said i would and im not a beta who turns back

August 11th 2014

Are you gonna listen to the full album?

August 11th 2014

Like I said, nothing really hooks onto me, just sounds like the song drones its 3-5 minutes then its gone out of my head for good. The lyrics aren't really anything worth writing home about, especially in that broken song and the electronic aspects dont really mix well though thats more of production bland issues it seems to me.

Also again, that vocalist just does not fit in well with the others. But eh, thats just my thoughts. maybe if I listen to it a bit more and few more tracks my opinion will change.

August 11th 2014

Well, my favorite tracks off this are "Angels Take Us, Demons Save Us" and the Title Track if that helps you at all Vax. I feel those are the best on the album.

August 11th 2014

Also "Forever Slowly" is a damn good ballad.