Saves the Day
Saves the Day

by sentyrunce USER (1 Reviews)
August 12th, 2014 | 19 replies

Release Date: 09/17/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just as the summer, the album has its ups and downs, but overall, it's still fun.

Unlike most fans of Saves the Day, I began listening to them only two years ago. My father introduced me to their album Stay What You Are when I began driving around with him after attaining my permit. So then, why am I reviewing the self-titled first? Firstly, it's their most recent album, and I like doing things backwards. Secondly, I saw them live about three weeks ago, which was a rather negative experience. The crowd was absolutely tiny for Warped Tour, maybe 30 people, and the sour mood of Chris Conley reflected on the crowd. Regardless, I still enjoy the music. I share this as that encounter showed me a different side of Saves the Day. It showed me a tired, old, and slightly inebriated front man, an energetic bassist who seemed rather unhappy with his band, a guitarist who was probably just there for touring, and a drummer who loves what he does. It is these attitudes that helped me understand the album more, as I did not enjoy it much before that show. Now, I hear the hurt in Conley's voice and lyrics. I can now relate to what he's trying to express as I saw his pain on that stage. There is no way to express those feelings in words, so sadly I can't elaborate on this point.

Conley is a story-teller. All of his writing on previous albums shows this, yet there is no story arc on this album. Rather, every song tells its own story. One of the ear-catchers on previous albums were his oh so sweet metaphors, yet the writing on this album is rather straight-forward. This being said, the lyrics are still as catchy and infectious as ever, but they're missing that charm. All of the instrumentation on this album is actually rather good, which has never been a problem for Saves the Day (as far as I now, I haven't listened to the trilogy much.) Chris's vocals are higher than ever, which doesn't bother me much, but I can see how those turn off some listeners.

The album itself can be easily compared to teenage summers. It begins fun and fast, yet has slower parts for the times that we want to hold on to forever. It also has the romantic moments that the summer is perfect for, yet also highlights the heartbreaks of summer. And just like the summer, this album ends on a high note with one of the bounciest songs in STD's discography. And then it's over. At 33 minutes in length, the album passes by just as quickly as the summer does.

Overall, the album has its ups and downs just as the summer does. Some of these moments are fast, some slow, some fleeting, and some we don't want to let go of. It's filled with happiness, sadness, pain, intrigue, and stories. It is all of these elements that make this album, and the summer, as fun as it is.

3.1
good

SnakeDelilah
August 11th 2014

good review

about time someone reviewed this

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

August 12th 2014

Nice review. The only song I really like is remember.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

August 12th 2014

is his voice still insanely high-pitched?

yep. He's still an alto

August 12th 2014

that's a shame. loved his voice in stay what you are, but couldn't stand it in daybreak

August 12th 2014

Yeah I definitely prefer his older voice, but his high pitch is at the very least listenable. This album isn't very memorable though. You should check out Remember if you listen to anything off of this toxin.

August 12th 2014

sure, i'll listen after the album i'm currently listening to is done.

will let ya know what i think

August 12th 2014

btw this is a pretty good review. nice tie-in between your real life experiences and the album

August 12th 2014

Ok, shoutbox me when you get to it

TWIGtheWONDERKID
August 12th 2014

Not a big Saves The Day fan, but I thought this was fun . . . Nice first review.

Digging: Johnny Marr - Playland

erizen826
August 12th 2014

They were great live when I saw them at warped a couple weeks ago. They were really energetic.

hogan900
August 12th 2014

I actually almost forgot about this until now.

same

skoopy48
August 12th 2014

Album is catchy, but it lacks something

hogan900
August 12th 2014

Album is a little bit better than I remember. But still not that good, I guess Chris's voice just pisses me off now.

August 12th 2014

The songwriting just isn't as memorable as past STD records. Also this album is too poppy for its own good

accompliceofmydeath
August 12th 2014

I put this off for a while, but I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing spectacular, but not terrible.

Digging: New Found Glory - Resurrection

trackbytrackreviews
August 12th 2014

This sucks and so does the cover

sentyrunce
August 18th 2014

Didn't even realize that anyone ever saw this, but thanks for the feedback, everyone! I will probably do more reviews in the future if school doesn't murder me. Again, thanks for the feedback, and if anyone who commented sees this, I am so sorry for not joining in the comment section!