Keep
Hypnosis for Sleep

by mas westman USER (12 Reviews)
August 9th, 2014 | 10 replies

Release Date: 07/22/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Will you cry at my funeral?

The music where the narrator just... needs it. The songs where every melancholy note begs for you to attempt to understand why it was played in the first place, and every timidly sung lyric sounds so apathetic to how vulnerable it may make the speaker come across. The albums that sound best while driving home at 2am after a long and confusing night of being under the influence. Allow me to introduce you to the most recent album to fit all of those characteristics in my own confusing life, and only because I feel like you would never have heard of it otherwise.

Clocking in at just under 10 minutes, Hypnosis for Sleep is a beautifully atmospheric EP that sounds like what an emotional breakdown feels like. It is very rooted in its indie rock and shoegaze influences, but would not fit perfectly into any one genre. Every song sounds like it was written by a sad person in their bedroom, having only enough strength to beg their guitar for help in making sense of their feelings. The highlight of the entire EP is the second song, "Old Man." It starts off with a late 90's upbeat shoegaze vibe, but then suddenly punches the listener in the stomach with a tempo change halfway through. The song, while only 6 total lines long, exploits an insecurity the narrator has of turning into his father.

You can drone along with me
Or you can drone alone

What do you want out of life?
Where do you want to go?

You're just like your old man.

Keep has one member from Turnover, and seemed like just a side project on paper to me when I first discovered it. I have since listened to it hundreds of times, and honestly a lot of those times were not intentional. This is the type of album that can just repeat for hours and not grow stale. The music that sounds like the narrator's world would be meaningless without its existence. It doesn't demand attention, but also very much demands your attention once noticed. Do you understand?

Circa Survive Violent WavesThe Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza Danza IIII: The Alpha - The Omega
Balance And Composure/Tigers Jaw SplitCounterparts The Current Will Carry Us
The Devil Wears Prada Dead ThroneAsking Alexandria Reckless and Relentless
4.3

August 8th 2014

i felt it deserved some attention

keepva.bandcamp.com

JohnnyOnTheSpot
August 8th 2014

"To how vulnerable it may make the speaker come across"
throw an 'as' in there

Idk, sentence is awkward for some reason... whatever

Good review. Short and sweet, like I like my reviews. Pos'd

Digging: Hammock - The Sleepover Series, Volume 2

Asdfp277
August 8th 2014

"Every song sounds like it was written by a sad person in their bedroom,"

-phenomenal,

cool album.

VaxXi
August 9th 2014

This is why I love the internet, if this was released twenty years ago in the 90's no one would have ever heard about it. It wouldve been a lonely self released album sitting on the bargain shelves of a record store in Virginia. But with the internet we can find these things, we can see them before they fade int obscurity never to see the light of day.

Discovering things like this album must be a phenomenal thing, many thanks to introducing such an amazing EP. Pos'd.

FeedingNetherlands

No, I won't

FeedingNetherlands
August 9th 2014

Why would you rate it 4.5 yourself and 4.0 in a review? Do you have a multiple personality disorder?

dh198
August 9th 2014

Nice review, album sounds interesting.

August 9th 2014

thanks guys! glad you liked it vax

August 23rd 2014