Adramelech
Psychostasia

by Andy H. B. USER (27 Reviews)
August 8th, 2014 | 99 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Neptune's winds in aural form.

There once was a very wise man in the land of yore that went by the name of ffs and he uttered the following: "Everyone who isn't stupid as hell knows Finnish death metal is the best death metal." Such insightful and endearing words have never been spoken before in the English language or any tongues of men. As many f*cking stupid people don't seem to comprehend, thinking that it "all sounds the same", one of the key qualities of a thriving death metal scene is variety. The Finnish death metal scene, both past and present, is chock full of this quality. With everything from Rippikoulu's devastating, subwoofer-shattering Musta Seremonia and Funebre's shredded rendering in Children of the Scorn to Demilich's iconic, schizophrenic and demented Nespithe and from Convulse's darkened pummeling in a World Without God to Depravity's liquid nitrogen-infused Silence of the Centuries. Finnish death metal is a boiling witch's brew of sonic escapades and crushing density that offers no remorse in its bludgeoning. However, emerging out of the hills that have eyes, there is one album that ties all of these irreverent sounds together perhaps better than any other. That restless beast is the haunting, unhallowed masterpiece that is Adramelech's Psychostasia.

Quite simply, Psychostasia is a record that flows so well that it is nearly impossible to turn it off midway through. The band's disturbed and unconventional sense of melody through their technically-proficient fretboard flogging and tremolo dancing is put on wonderful display in the opening track, "Heroes In Godly Blaze" and continues smashing away throughout the album. Despite being unconventional nearly to the degree of Demilich's spastic conjuring, these Spanish Flu-level infectious riffs induce instant replay value and pump a fiercely beating heart into the core of Adramelech's arsenal of artillery. In addition, ghostly ambience is generated through passages such as the clean intro/outro combo to album highlight, "The Book of the Worm", and enhances the eerie overtone that envelops the tracks. The drumming, highlighted by a flourishing production job providing a thick and organic base, is also electric with highly precise blast beats, double bass and brash fills at every turn cascading like waterfalls and tossing or turning like class five rapids. The twisted, crashing rhythms, combined with Jarkko Rantenan's whispered grunt in "Mythic Descendent" evoke images of galaxies collapsing in on themselves and sucking worlds into eternal damnation.

Speaking of Rantenan, it would be negligent to discount the effect that his vocals have on this set of songs. The nihilistic quality of his ghoulish, snarled utterances and mythologically tinged lyric sheet is perfectly tuned to turn a spine into an icicle as the rest of the instrumentation promptly shatters it. If anyone has seen The Day After Tomorrow when the super storm funnels that super-chilled air downward through its eye and proceeds to freeze any exposed surface on ground, that's the type of Arctic blast that Rantenan's voice embodies. This album is the sound of the gods unleashing their angry wrath on the planet, as massive avalanches come down from the highest mountain peaks and towering tsunamis rise from below, decimating everything in sight.

Psychostasia is a recording that conjures up many contradictions, being highly catchy, but also highly unorthodox and blazing along on a fiery trail while simultaneously freezing Satan's popsicles (they really are quite delicious). It is the type of album that you seclude yourself in a cabin deep in the woods during the winter time with no sunlight poking through and dive into its depths over and over again. Adramelech display such pronounced musicianship and songwriting ability here that they patently pussify many other death metal rehashes that spam repeated ideas like untreated water through the Ganges. Psychostasia is an absolute essential in any death metal collection, it chillingly and emphatically slays for f*cking days™.

Hypocrite Into the Halls of the BlindYouth Avoiders Youth Avoiders
A Wilhelm Scream PartycrasherNo Fealty In the Shadow of the Monolith
Coffins The Other Side of BlasphemyKeaton Henson Birthdays
Hawks (4.5)
Finland rules....

20700 Comments

TM goes to rasputin for coming up with the phrase "slays for days" some yonder ago

this needed another review

Digging: Banks - Goddess

MO
August 8th 2014

oh fuck yes an H.B review

good stuff

this is probably my closest 4.5 to a 5

Keyblade

Aww shit sweet

Digging: Strawberry Switchblade - Strawberry Switchblade

Jacquibim

My favourite Finndeath

Sweet review mods pls flag

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

adr
August 8th 2014

i still need to check this :D heard it's like Nespithe, so it must be crushing

Digging: Nihilist - Nihilist 1987-1989

Jacquibim
August 8th 2014

Not as twisted as Nespithe but more atmospheric methinks

August 8th 2014

Some parts of the review read as if it's been written by a metalhead who's read one page of a Harold Pinter play and now thinks he's God's gift to literacy (i.e. last paragraph, the summary etc.); Hyperbolic metaphors and clichéd for good writing do not maketh. Also dig at Rolling Stone was kind of dumb. I'll pos though for the rest as that was well done.

SpiritCrusher2
August 8th 2014

riffs are out of this world

wtf

hyperbolic metaphors are perfectly acceptable when describing an album as good as this

i wanted this to be a bit more grandiose than some of my other reviews because this is fucking psychostasia, took out the rolling stone part though since that did seem a bit trite

emester
August 8th 2014

The best export frim finland ever

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

August 8th 2014

tbh I think I feel a lot of those metaphors were really forced (though no where near as bad as a certain Opeth review) like you were pointing out look at how grandiose this is because you referenced neptune rather than it feeling natural and something that truly sums up the power of the band's music. There are other ways of being grandiose (understatement, finding new metaphors that fit better with the music etc.) without having to resort to unneeded theatrics. Point being; a little restraint can go a long way.

Apologies if I caused offence.

20700 Comments

i feel like you've never really read my reviews before with some of your qualms, tbh

either that, or you don't like it because it clashes with your own style

i wasn't including some of those things to be like "look at this son of a bitch, i can use metaphors", i like this album a ton and was appropriately exuberant in writing this

August 8th 2014

guys can you stop using big words plz thanks

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

BigPleb

Finndeath >>>

Swee rev Shadow m/

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

August 8th 2014

for the former yes and for the latter no, I just call it as I see it and even if you didn't I still think the metaphors are too over the top and clichéd but tbh whatever I say I don't think you'll listen/give two flying fucks about it which is only natural lol.

KILL, I trump you Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Be swallowed up by the Welshness.

NeroCorleone80

Great review. Def the best Finnish dm album for me

TheSpirit
August 8th 2014

Yasss. Great review Andy. I kind of think "theatrical" or over the top writing works with metals larger than life aesthetic. Also I do think you have a few too many examples of Finnish DM in the intro. By the time you got to Depravity, I couldn't help but think "okay, you made your point, Finnish dm rules". But other than that, great as per usual. Write more pls.

Digging: Emarosa - Versus