Wovenwar
Wovenwar

by Mark A. USER (51 Reviews)
August 8th, 2014 | 23 replies

Release Date: 08/05/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soaring vocals and excellent musicianship show a new band full of promise from the ashes of As I Lay Dying.

With Tim Lambesis' departure from As I Lay Dying leaving the band without a frontman, it was easy to speculate what direction they were going to head in. Wovenwar is not what many would expect, as Jordan Mancino and company elected to use the talents of Shane Blay (clean vocalist/guitarist of Oh, Sleeper). The soaring cleans present here are quite a far cry from the visceral roars of the past band, but it was precisely the reinterpretation needed in order to breathe new life into the songwriting formula for these musicians.

Wovenwar sound energized on this release, but in a much more composed fashion than anything that has been heard on an Oh, Sleeper or As I Lay Dying record in the past. It is slickly-produced and rigidly structured, but the passionate wails of Blay and unique leads courtesy of Phil Sgrosso and Nick Hipa help the album to stand out amongst the glut of metalcore bands. That is essentially what will determine whether or not the listener will find merit in Wovenwar; they aren't necessarily bringing anything new to the table stylistically, but rather are highlighting the best traits of the genre. "All Rise" exemplifies all of Wovenwar's best qualities, providing the listener with a blast of metallic fury meshed with slowed-down, intimate verses and a driving chorus. "The Mason" boasts some of the album's best riffs and also transitions to an epic buildup with one of the album's only screaming sections. This essentially shows the major weakness of the album in general, however; the similarities between songs become very glaring as the albums blasts on through its fourteen-track runtime. There is a homogeneous quality that cannot be denied here, but the most redeeming part of that is the high quality of the songs present is easily identifiable.

It's certainly impressive that Josh Gilbert, Jordan Mancino, Phil Sgrosso, and Nick Hipa have created an album together that does not reek of As I Lay Dying. They could not have picked a better frontman to differentiate between the old and new projects. With that being said, the formulaic songwriting makes the almost hour-long runtime seem much longer and buries the highlights in tracks that probably should not have made the cut. "Father/Son" is the exception to this, as the acoustic-based song shows a vulnerability to Blay's vocals, and points to Wovenwar creating a more diverse record in the future. As it stands, the soaring vocals and excellent musicianship show a band that will eventually hit a glass ceiling if new ideas aren't embraced songwriting-wise in the future.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingClipse Hell Hath No Fury
The War on Drugs Lost in the DreamMorning Effort I heard you the first time, it just wasn't funny
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeRotten Sound Species At War
Alex Dansereau (4)
Out of tragedy comes triumph....

August 8th 2014

Originally posted here: http://thesonicsensory.com/2014/08/08/wovenwar-wovenwar/

It's good, just too much of the same at the end of the day.

nononsense
August 8th 2014

How often does Gilbert sing lead vocals on this? He was one of my least favorite parts of AILD.

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

August 8th 2014

He doesn't make a vocal appearance on the record until the last two tracks, and it's honestly not that noticeable.

nononsense
August 8th 2014

I would have figured he would have had a bigger vocal part on the album. I'm glad he's not featured as much.

Killerhit
August 8th 2014

a blast of metallic fury

August 8th 2014

Yeah, vocally speaking it is almost all Shane which is great for the band. I don't mind Gilbert, but he's definitely not good enough to front a band.

ScuroFantasma
August 8th 2014

Great review sig, I might have to check this.

"with one of album's only screaming sections"

I think you're missing a 'the' in there (:

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

August 8th 2014

Good catch man, thanks for that! definitely check it and let me know what you think. I think you may dig it.

NocteDominum
August 8th 2014

Solid review, spot on rating.

ExplosiveOranges
August 8th 2014

Still haven't checked this yet. Great review as always, Mark! I used to love As I Lay Dying, so I might give this a shot anyway.

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

August 8th 2014

Thanks Rob and Oranges! Appreciate it guys. Definitely give it a shot if you liked AILD before, odds are you'll find some songs on here that you enjoy it quite a bit.

Gameofmetal
August 8th 2014

Good review. The summary doesn't feel like a summary though but a sentence that should have been in the review below. I would recommend thinking of something shorter and more generalizing for your summary if that makes sense.

August 8th 2014

Thanks man. Well, it is in the review (it's the concluding sentence), but I see what you mean. I'm pretty horrible about summaries, I will try to think of something else to put there.

Gameofmetal
August 8th 2014

Oops totally missed that. Alright well keep it in mind. It's fine otherwise.

August 8th 2014

All Rise is a pretty good song.

Kinda agree on the summary. It looks a little over-stuffed.

August 8th 2014

It totally is, all of mine are overblown and boring. I will accept any applications to be my summary-writer lol.

August 8th 2014

I'd like to submit my application:

"The soaring vocals and excellent musicianship show a new band full of promise from the ashes of As I lay Dying."

But putting the 'band full of promise' thing seems like a cliche... I dunno. Might work for you, tho! What do you think?

19756 Comments

great work here Mark! I love how you are always able to get your point across in less words haha. Not that it's too short, I dig this length, but you always say what needs to be said ;) glad you liked this album overall man

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

August 8th 2014

Thanks dude, I appreciate it! It's good to know that these shorter reviews are working in terms of getting the points across well.

I like it, Ec! We will use that one!

Woo hoo! I win!

Everyone else can suck it!