Jethro Tull
Aqualung

by Kingadamx USER (18 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 38 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Released in 1971, this is one of the few progressive-rock albums that made its way to the Top Ten. I cannot find ways to describe the power of this album. When you put this album on and listen to it, it is almost as if you can feel the barrage of all of the instruments clashing together. The dark guitar riffs clashing with the droaning sound of the keyboard encompassing Anderson's Voice that soon goes into flute leads and solos that are so powerful that you can hear Anderson pounding out the high notes as fast as he possibly can while trying to breathe.

This album created a few singles that still receive considerable airplay today. The singles were "Locomotive Breath", "Cross-Eyes Mary", and the title track. In the 70s Jethro Tull were a big Arena act. This album is what caught the attention of many of their fans. Another reason why this album was so important because in this album Jethro Tull challenges the values of organized religion in their songs.

1. Aqualung - The most recognizable part of this song is the dark guitar riff. The acoustic guitar playing is excellent and flows with the song perfectly under Anderson's voice. The best part of this song is the guitar solo: It speeds up the song one last time until the acoustic chorus begins again. This is probably the darkest song on the record. This is a great song but not one of my favorite.
Rating: 3.5/5

2. Cross-Eyed Mary - The flute intro gives a very ambient feel to the song but it develops into a harder rock song as the flute climaxes and leads into the song. The song has a pretty catchy chorus with heavily distorted guitar. The Interlude in the song starts with a flute solo and switches to a guitar solo. This is one of my favorites on the record.
Rating: 4/5

3. Cheap Day Return - This is a very short song that has a great double acoustic guitar line. It is very folky sounding and the singing in it is great. This song is really just a transition from the two harder sounding songs to the acoustic Mother Goose that follows this song. I love Anderson's voice in this song, His singing in this song is very uplifting.
Rating: 4/5

4. Mother Goose - The acoustic rhythms in this song are great as well as Anderson's voice which has great harmony with the band at the chorus. The chorus is the best part of the song, but the flute fills are excellent. This is one of the folk songs on the record. Cheap Day Return is more of an intro to Mother Goose.
Rating: 4.5/5

5. Wond'ring Aloud - Another great acoustic song. The piano and string accompaniment in this song is excellent as well as the lyrics about the one he loves. This song is depressing and uplifting at the same time. One of my favorites.
Rating: 4.5/5

6. Up To Me - This song has a great line that the piano, guitar, flute, and bass follow. The electric guitar fills are great as well as the acoustic rhythms. In this song Anderson's voice rambles and then goes into a bluesy yell which is great.
Rating: 4/5

7. My God - The song starts with classical guitar playing which switches to a Minor Key. The lyrics in this song are very provacative, I'm not going to sit here and recite them to you so listen to the album. The song changes to somewhat of a chant from the Middle ages under very heavy flute playing under the piano. The guitar riff is dark and excellent. This is My favorite song on the record because it is such a different rock song, everything about the song is from what I usually listen to.
Rating: 5/5

8. Hymn 43 - A great guitar riff and solo. This song speaks of the corruption of Christians and people who use Jesus' name for the wrong reasons. The piano seems to stand out to me the most in this song for some reason.
Rating: 3/5

9. Slipstream - The Lyrics in this song seem to be the deepest out of all of the songs on this album. The violin goes great with the song as well as the melodic classical guitar. The strings kind of move up and down giving almost a siren sound as the song comes to an end.
Rating 4/5

10. Locomotive Breath - An excellent piano introduction which moves into an electric guitar accompaniment. Then the song finally heightens and the band goes into full blow. The flute solo is probably the best and fastest flute playing on this album and that I have ever heard in my life. This is probably the most heard song on the radio off of this album because it is the most "radio-friendly" song on the album.
Rating: 4.5/5<

11. Wind Up - This is the final song on the album and also the conclusion to the stories which have been told on this album. It explains the way he was raised and what he was taught to believe. In then explains what Anderson's vision of God is. The song starts off as a slow song and then finally climbs up to a very heavy part of the song as Anderson explains what kind of God he believes in. His God is "Not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays".
Rating: 5/5

If you are a heavy believer in Organized Christianity then maybe you won't like this album becuase it makes you question some things about the way it is practiced. Overall this album is excellent. It has some great playing and some great storytelling. Overall I give this album a 5/5. To those who haven't listened to this album yet, Enjoy!

Radiohead COM LAG (2plus2isfive)Radiohead My Iron Lung
Radiohead I Might Be Wrong: Live RecordingsJohn Coltrane Giant Steps
Miles Davis Sketches of SpainThe Mothers of Invention Weasels Ripped My Flesh
4.3
vanderb0b (4.5)
Complex, eclectic, and beautiful, Aqualung is the quintessential Jethro Tull album....

Thef (4)
The album which made Jethro Tull an everyday name, and catapulted the band to the forefront of the e...

The Door Mouse (4.5)

Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers (4.5)

Badmoon
June 25th 2004

Great review :thumb: I love this album, and am glad you reviewed it.

John Evan - Piano, organ and mellotron

Tangy zizzle
June 25th 2004

This is a coooooll album, and a very nice review.

I prefer Thick as A Brick myself, though.

Aes820
June 26th 2004

A Fantastic album and a great review.

I was first introduced to this band when I dug this album out of my old man's collection of vinyl, and dropped the needle on it out of curiousity of what it actually was.
I was greeted with some fantastic songs, and some excellent song writing. I liked what I heard.

I prefer the B side. With tunes like Locomotive Breath and Wind Up being the definate 'stand-outs' of the album for me.

Andersons views on cristianity are blantant as ever. Perhaps even more so than on Jethro Tulls other (and perhaps 'Gimmicky') release Thick as A Brick.
And also, Aqualung seems to be an album that can hold you in to it, all the way through. That is to say, I was slighty dissapointed with Thick as A Brick, in comparison to Aqualung.

Lithium2112
June 26th 2004

i dont get why you only gave 2 songs a 5/5 and you gave the whole album a 5/5...

Kingadamx
June 26th 2004

^^ Because I was just rating the Individual songs on how good they were compared to each of the other songs on the album. If I could I would have just given all of the songs 5/5 but then you wouldn't know which of the songs I liked better. The album as a whole deserves 5 out of 5 stars.

ZEROthirtythree
July 12th 2004

*bump*

Great review. I just got this cd the otehr day, and I am really liking it. "Hymn 43" has to be my favorite.

TheBurntOrange
July 12th 2004

i think aqualung deserves more than 3.5, i mean it is a classic

Dark Hero
July 13th 2004

[QUOTE=TheBurntOrange]i think aqualung deserves more than 3.5, i mean it is a classic[/QUOTE]

YDload
July 13th 2004

I think Jethro Tull deserves a Grammy for all their hard work! Just as long as it's in the "Heavy Metal" category, of course.

Woodstock
August 17th 2004

Great Review
Jethro's comin' to my town in September :p
Cross-Eyed Mary=my favorite

Seafroggys
December 25th 2004

Ah, just got this album for Christmas, great badass album.

Favorites are Aqualung, Cross-Eyed Mary, My God, Hymn 43, Wind UP. They all deserve 5/5s.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
December 25th 2004

[QUOTE=Seafroggys]Ah, just got this album for Christmas, great badass album.

Plus on my copy there's several bonus tracks, including an Interview with Ian Anderson. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what I have. with the long interview where he goes on about how he and Robert Plant hate each other. My track listing is also different than Kingadamx's.

Kingadamx
December 25th 2004

On a related sidenote: Ian Anderson's daughter used to babysit for my cousins when my Uncle lived in England.

keep on phishin'

Great review.

And Great album, I just got it today for Christmas. :D :D

thickasabrick
December 27th 2004

[QUOTE=Badmoon]
Yea, now more like Jenny Evan...ohhhhhhhhh! *Doubts anyone knows what he's talking about*[/QUOTE]

HAHAH! good one! :lol:

good review. I have a few different versions of this album on vinyl, the only difference is really the colours used on the album, but i just had to have them all.

an amazing album. DO NOT CALL IT PROG ROCK!! Ian Anderson himself will kick in your front door. He never viewed Jethro Tull as a prog rock band, or this as a concept album. A few of the songs deal with religious opinions, but for some reason he resented the title concept album.

my favourite song (one of the best songs ever) is My God. It is so amazing!!

Seafroggys
January 7th 2005

[QUOTE=thickasabrick]thanks for reviewing this album, i just had to make sure someone else thought that Aqualung isn't actually the best song on the album, contrary to noobish belief.[/QUOTE]

Well, Aqualung was the reason I wanted this album. I read this review when it first came out, and saw the song on a top 500 list (like 25 or something pretty high), so I was interested. I had never heard of Jethro Tull in my life. I downloaded the song, and I was like....blown out of this world.

But now with the album, the badassness of the title song has been swueenched, mainly by My God and Wind Up.

Det_Nosnip
January 7th 2005

[QUOTE=Badmoon]Great review :thumb: I love this album, and am glad you reviewed it.

The sex change? *smirk* Well, musicians tend to be an odd bunch...

Anyways, classic record...my favorite part is probably the whole acoustic folk bit - Cheap Day Return/Wond'ring Aloud, etc.

Reaganista
January 8th 2005

I saw two summer ago. They were old, but it was still cool. Ian Anderson has Aged pretty well.

This is a good review and a good album. Locomotive breath was the best song.

newWorld
January 9th 2005

[QUOTE=thickasabrick]

[/QUOTE]

Robert Fripp said the same thing about prog rock, but not calling King Crimson prog would go against the definition. Same here.

Also, what's with "jenny evans?" Could someone explain?

dustyboy316
January 9th 2005

the keyboardist had a sex change. I think.