Darkest Hour
Undoing Ruin

by Jared Floryan USER (14 Reviews)
August 6th, 2014 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The CD is far more than just worthy enough to be considered an addition to the band's discography.

Victory Records is a record label comprised of money-grubbing bastards. Whether or not that can be agreed upon, bashing them is not the priority here. The following group contains a vocalist with a raspy growl, two guitarists whom can afford to play off each other, and a notable inspiration by Sweden's Gothenburg metal scene. Having been active since the year of 1995, they are the hidden hands of the sadist nation, and this five-piece metal band lives to deliver us the mark of the Judas.

Darkest Hour hails from Washington D.C. They have recently signed to Sumerian Records – a label I'm sure you know all too well. However, many of the band's releases were issued through Victory; first off, are you aware of VictorVTV? Before this became a podcast-only thing, it would air on weekends via Fuse. Without its existence, none of us would even realize who the hell Darkest Hour was, let alone any other of the labelmates such as
The Tossers, Between the Buried and Me, and... yes, Aiden. But getting back on topic, around this approximate time, Darkest Hour would go on to release their fourth studio album, Undoing Ruin.

Released on June 28, 2005, Undoing Ruin is a record that shows the band coherently mixing the elegant sounds of melodic death metal with the more straightforward metalcore elements that, thankfully enough, don't show up very often. Containing no more than 11 tracks, this leviathan is bound to swallow you whole and spit you out – only to insist on devouring that pathetic body once again. The material is rather consistent, and demonstrates an act playing music with more teeth than the Osmond family. Aside from two companion pieces - “Pathos” and “Ethos” - Darkest Hour maintains their brutality and absolute songwriting.

If the title and artwork of Undoing Ruin won't convince you, then the listeners need not worry whenever it comes to these guys' musicianship. As was mentioned previously, the band is made up of five members: two guitarists, a bass player, the drummer, and, last but most certainly not least, a fierce frontman. All of them opt to never take a nosedive in quality, nor will the Washington boys ever give a damn about quantity. Each of the bandmates have resulted in creating a memorable batch of songs capable of lifting sinners up from the dark depths of Hell itself.

Kris Norris and Mike Schleibaum, Darkest Hour's guitarists, compliment one another akin to celestial incarnations of Beavis and Butt-head; I do apologize for that petty comparison. The riffs and guitar harmonies displayed on a number of the album's tracks could not have been written more beautifully, and if you're looking for shining proof, hear the entirety of such excellent jams including “Sound the Surrender” and “These Fevered Times”. The band's bassist, Paul Burnette, is typically inaudible (why?), although on Track 2 - “Convalescence” - it's apparent that the man can manage sufficiently.

Ryan Parrish's percussion skills are not faint throughout the record, as his pleas for the drums' desire to be present within the aggressive tone of Darkest Hour's style. Finally, John Henry's presence is what truly makes Undoing Ruin – and the band in general – shine. He isn't too big on versatility and he kind of bears a resemblance to Victory Record's version of Harry Potter; on the other end of the spectrum, though, John implements passion and a noticeable grate to his voice so much, that it ends up being difficult to despise him, if at all.

In the end, Undoing Ruin is a solid addition to the band's discography. The album knows not about radio-friendliness and sympathizing with departed ones, and instead leans more towards majestic beatdowns alongside lyrical greatness.

Psyopus Ideas of ReferenceDazzle Vision Kirari
Faith No More Introduce YourselfAiden Our Gangs Dark Oath
Gorillaz Demon DaysHello Kitty Suicide Club ^_^

August 6th 2014

But they were fucked over by Victory and made it no secret that they hated them

thelastsignal
August 6th 2014

I like Hidden Hands much better than this one, honestly.

Digging: The Grouch x Eligh x CunninLynguists - The Winterfire EP

August 6th 2014

They are pretty close in quality for me. They are both their best work IMO

wacknizzle

Very cool album

Ye Victory are dickheads despite putting out alot of great records

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

August 6th 2014

"But they were fucked over by Victory and made it no secret that they hated them"

SHIT! I do all this research and, without even knowing, I make this one misstep in my review. Should I change it?

August 6th 2014

I would if I were you. They said that The Eternal Return was their angry album because of how much they hated Victory and how it was the last album they owed them in their contract, so there were a lot of feelings of aggression in the air

It's fixed now, King.

Progger6009
August 6th 2014

TBH The Eternal Return was kinda meh. This album is a straight classic though!

August 6th 2014

Really? I checked that record out, and it's great for DH standards. For me, it doesn't compare to either Deliver Us or Undoing Ruin, but The Eternal Return's pretty damn good.

sweet

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

JeetJeet
August 7th 2014

Always thought The Eternal Return was fucking awesome. I might even like it more than this tbh. This has some insanely good tunes though. Tranquil is legendary.

Digging: Toothgrinder - Schizophrenic Jubilee

HarryBoBerry
August 7th 2014

This and Deliver Us are incredible. The combination of having Kris Norris take the leads and Devin Townsend producing are perfect.

August 7th 2014

Devin Townsend's production, as well as the bandmates' instrumentation, just makes this album for me.

Progger6009
August 8th 2014

The Eternal Return had some great tunes, but there were some boring ass songs that gave the impression that no one was on the same page. Not to mention the production was terrible, and the songwriting was poorer than their previous efforts. It honestly felt progression wise like it should have come after Hidden Hands. Given Undoing and Deliver Us are near perfect records.

HarryBoBerry
August 14th 2014

^^ Agreed 100%. Though I like The Tides a lot.

Shuyin